cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why Microsoft skipped Windows 9

If we start counting Microsoft's past Windows operating systems, then we already have 9 generations. Many people seem to forget that Windows 8.1 should be considered to be an independent operating system. I am not going to start a discussion here about leaving out MS-DOS versions. Let us just focus on Windows right now.

But let's just put Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2 as the 7th Windows generation. And start counting down, it all makes sense as we find our way down to Windows 3.1 being the 1st Windows generation, right? Let's start counting up and we find Windows 8  & Windows Server 2012 as the 8th Windows generation, followed by Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 R2, offered as a free update to Windows 8 users.

Why is Windows 8.1 to be considered Windows 9?

Windows 8.1 is actually a free Windows upgrade to Windows 8 users, because many of the Windows 8 users were not happy with the new user experience of Windows 8. But Microsoft decided to name it Windows 8.1, probably because they wanted their customers to know they were going to improve the user experience of Windows 8, trying to make it better, fixing the holes in the roof. So the unhappy Windows 8 users still had a warm home.

But Windows 8.1 requires a complete upgrade to be installed on a Windows 8 computer, and is not to be considered a simple small update. So technically Windows 8.1 is Windows 9. If you feel this is not true, feel happy to correct my point of view. Technically this makes it an independent operating system version as it does not rely on Windows 8.

Microsoft's advantage

But the advantage to Microsoft as acknowledging Windows 8.1 as their 9th Windows operating system is that they skipped one version number by naming their next Windows operating system Windows 10.

Everyone and the media decides to start making free jokes about it, that Microsoft makes no sense at all. But in fact Microsoft does make sense here.

Now they enjoy extra media attention they much deserved. They worked really hard trying to keep the good things that were introduced with Windows 8 alive, and they may have finally perfected the design with Windows 10. You can download the Windows 10 Preview as a Windows Insider. And decide for yourself.

Do you think it's still weird? Microsoft made a good move by naming their next operating system Windows 10, kudos to the person who came up with the idea (if this theory is correct).

There are a lot of different theories out there on the internet, what do you think about this one? Have you tried out Windows 10 on your Lenovo machine? What are your first impressions?

1. Windows 3.1
  2. Windows 95
  3. Windows 98
  4. Windows ME
  5. Windows XP
  6. Windows Vista - Windows Server 2008
  7. Windows 7 - Windows Server 2008 R2
  8. Windows 8 - Windows Server 2012
  9. Windows 8.1 - Windows Server 2012 R2
  10. Windows 10

The coding problem theory

The coding problem theory well, the screenshot will tell you everything you need to know. I think even a regular person can understand what is written there. Technically the code is checking if the operating system's name starts with Windows 9 to check if it's running Windows 95 or Windows 98. Do we have to blame third-party (Java) programmers that don't know how to use regular expressions? Why didn't those Java programmers useSystem.getProperty("os.version"); instead? Which returns the kernel version of the operating system:

• Windows XP: 5.1
  • Windows Vista: 6.0
  • Windows 7: 6.1
  • Windows 8: 6.2
  • Windows 8.1: 6.3

os.version is always unique... So dear programmers, when you want to check which operating system you are running, keep this in mind. If you are a .NET/C/C++ programmer, don't make the same mistake there as well...

What the really cause is of Microsoft going with Windows 10 instead of Windows 9, we will never know. But the combination of these two theories work well together as well as individually.

Capture.JPG

4 Comments
Punch Card

@jonas_hendrickx wrote:

If we start counting Microsoft's past Windows operating systems, then we already have 9 generations. Many people seem to forget that Windows 8.1 should be considered to be an independent operating system. I am not going to start a discussion here about leaving out MS-DOS versions. Let us just focus on Windows right now.

But let's just put Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2 as the 7th Windows generation. And start counting down, it all makes sense as we find our way down to Windows 3.1 being the 1st Windows generation, right? Let's start counting up and we find Windows 8  & Windows Server 2012 as the 8th Windows generation, followed by Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 R2, offered as a free update to Windows 8 users.

Why is Windows 8.1 to be considered Windows 9?

Windows 8.1 is actually a free Windows upgrade to Windows 8 users, because many of the Windows 8 users were not happy with the new user experience of Windows 8. But Microsoft decided to name it Windows 8.1, probably because they wanted their customers to know they were going to improve the user experience of Windows 8, trying to make it better, fixing the holes in the roof. So the unhappy Windows 8 users still had a warm home.

But Windows 8.1 requires a complete upgrade to be installed on a Windows 8 computer, and is not to be considered a simple small update. So technically Windows 8.1 is Windows 9. If you feel this is not true, feel happy to correct my point of view. Technically this makes it an independent operating system version as it does not rely on Windows 8.

Microsoft's advantage

But the advantage to Microsoft as acknowledging Windows 8.1 as their 9th Windows operating system is that they skipped one version number by naming their next Windows operating system Windows 10.

Everyone and the media decides to start making free jokes about it, that Microsoft makes no sense at all. But in fact Microsoft does make sense here.

Now they enjoy extra media attention they much deserved. They worked really hard trying to keep the good things that were introduced with Windows 8 alive, and they may have finally perfected the design with Windows 10. You can download the Windows 10 Preview as a Windows Insider. And decide for yourself.

Do you think it's still weird? Microsoft made a good move by naming their next operating system Windows 10, kudos to the person who came up with the idea (if this theory is correct).

There are a lot of different theories out there on the internet, what do you think about this one? Have you tried out Windows 10 on your Lenovo machine? What are your first impressions?

1. Windows 3.1
  2. Windows 95
  3. Windows 98
  4. Windows ME
  5. Windows XP
  6. Windows Vista - Windows Server 2008
  7. Windows 7 - Windows Server 2008 R2
  8. Windows 8 - Windows Server 2012
  9. Windows 8.1 - Windows Server 2012 R2
  10. Windows 10

The coding problem theory

The coding problem theory well, the screenshot will tell you everything you need to know. I think even a regular person can understand what is written there. Technically the code is checking if the operating system's name starts with Windows 9 to check if it's running Windows 95 or Windows 98. Do we have to blame third-party (Java) programmers that don't know how to use regular expressions? Why didn't those Java programmers useSystem.getProperty("os.version"); instead? Which returns the kernel version of the operating system:

• Windows XP: 5.1
  • Windows Vista: 6.0
  • Windows 7: 6.1
  • Windows 8: 6.2
  • Windows 8.1: 6.3

os.version is always unique... So dear programmers, when you want to check which operating system you are running, keep this in mind. If you are a .NET/C/C++ programmer, don't make the same mistake there as well...

What the really cause is of Microsoft going with Windows 10 instead of Windows 9, we will never know. But the combination of these two theories work well together as well as individually.

Capture.JPG

Retired Moderator
Microsoft already had the "9X" versions running in the 90's I assume they wanted to skip the nomenclature for the same reason. Btw, there is also something else which I learnt from Paul Thurrot's website. Microsoft had a culture to use the names of hotels in British Columbia . It happened till windows vista when it was called "longhorn" in it's early days. Not sure why they named it in such a way. I am not sure if windows 8.1 and windows 9 would ever be the same. 8.1 was an incremental update over 8 with features that would support both touch and non touch. This again is my theory only Smiley Wink I had the opportunity to study the source code of windows vista, and I can say that Vista and windows 7 were absolutely different. I don't know if the same can be said about 8.1 and Windows 9/10. Interesting article, Jonas!
Ctrl-Alt-Del

Presumably you're lumping Windows 2000 and XP into the same version?

What's DOS?

Interesting post to read, thanks for the write up.

However, a naming decision like this is a branding decision foremost.

When Microsoft made the decision they most likely based it on an branding or marketing analysis. (You made a technical analysis for a marketing challenge/decision.)

What do we call our next operating system (product)? Obviously we stick with our established Windows (unmbrella) brand.

What will sell most? What will sounds fresh and modern? What will make people want to pay for upgrades? etc.

One thing that might have influenced (though probably not the main reason) is Windows 95 and 98. Possibly people could mock it or what not. A possible negative association.

But of course they could have taken other things into consideration as well, like the things you mention.

I believe I read somewhere they said it was so advanced that 10 sounded more right.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

About the Author