Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDEFY™ with MOTOBLUR™ (Non-U.S.)
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

09-25-2010

germany

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 10

Bug: birthdays synced from Exchange are 1 day off [DE-version]

2011-04-19, 8:44 AM

Hi guys,

I have a somewhat annoying bug here.

Situation: Defy bought in germany with all settings set to german (UTC+1).

I have contacts in Exchange synced to the Defy that contain birthdays (and anniversaries). I also have contacts with birthdyas coming from Facebook.

Using the standard stock "contact search" app, the Facebook-birthdays are being displayed correct, but the ones coming from exchange are all one day off: they are one day to early. This is also reflected in other thrid-party apps that access the built-in contact database. The date differs 1 day to what I set in outlook.

I digged deeper and installed Touchdown, an Exchange mail/contac-client that keeps its own contact list directly synced to Exchange. Here, the dates are displayed correctly.

So it appears as if by syncing contacts from exchange, the device not correctly interpretes the dates.

This is probably some confusion with the timezones?! However it is rather annoying - I have been calling friends a day early twice now :-)

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance,

southy

Answer
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780

Re: Bug: birthdays synced from Exchange are 1 day off [DE-version]

2011-04-21, 12:28 PM

Exchange is where i fixed it.

One of 2 things usually does it. Just opening the contact and saving it. Or opening the contact, change the B-day, save, and change it back and save again.

This is a weird ActiveSync bug that has plagued smartphones for years. For all I know it is fixed in Exchange 2010. But if you google "Exchange Sync birthdays off by one day" you will see this plagues anything that syncs with Exchange from iPhones to Google accounts to other Android devices, even Blackberries. Microsoft has to fix this.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum

Replies(9)
Options

38 Posts

04-20-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

2011-04-20, 7:00 AM

you will need to change the time zone in your outlook or exchange mail or facebook.

Options

20 Posts

09-25-2010

germany

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2011-04-20, 9:07 AM

Hello,

thanks for your help, however:

Are you talking about the settings in the phone? I checked the general time zone settings of the defy - all correct.

But for the Exchange account (configured in the Defy's account settings page): there's no possibility to change any time zone related stuff here.

The Exchange Server is of course not under my control - it belongs to a large enterprise based in my time zone / is hosted in my timezone.

The outlook on my office PC is just another client so what would changing timezones here help? But anyway, the windows settings havethe correct time zone (and I can't find seperate time zone settings in outlook).

And about facebook - everthing works fine here, so why changer anything?!

Options

38 Posts

04-20-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2011-04-21, 0:22 AM

I moved from USA to Australia last week and my computer had it setting on USA time zone and I bought a mobile phone in Australia..and evertime I added new calender event on my outlook or gmail, the day was off on my mobile...so I changed the time zone on microsoft outlook and gmail....

check the time zone in your outlook by following these steps..

In microsoft outlook...

Under tools menu go to Options>>preference>> under calender click on calender options>> under advance option click on time zone

if this doesn't help. Then its the bug in your mobile phone.

Options

20 Posts

09-25-2010

germany

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2011-04-21, 9:32 AM

Hi,

thanks for the idea.
I checked but all was correct - also "GMT +1" here.

Sad. Another Motorola bug. Let's hope it is corrected in the update to Froyo that's hopefully coming soon.

However I wonder why there do not seem to be more people here experiencing this...

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2011-04-21, 10:19 AM

southy44 wrote:

Hi,

thanks for the idea.
I checked but all was correct - also "GMT +1" here.

Sad. Another Motorola bug. Let's hope it is corrected in the update to Froyo that's hopefully coming soon.

However I wonder why there do not seem to be more people here experiencing this...

I don't think it is a MotoBug. I have seen this on iPhone and Windows Mobile in the past. I have only seen it when syncing with Excange and only with Birthdays.

It is very intermittent and I could never figure out a way to reproduce it.

Since Birthday notifications are a few days in advance it is more of an annoyance to me anyway - I know the date is not right when i see it, and once I correct it seems fine until some future point when i switch devices and then one or two birthdays get messed up again.

Since it happens on other phones and other OS, I don't think Moto is responsible.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

20 Posts

09-25-2010

germany

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2011-04-21, 11:08 AM

I see your point. And I aggree that this is not the most important bug (whereever it comes from).

But unfortunately to me it's more difficult:
I have a brithday reminder widget that takes birthdays from Facebook and from Exchange. And I have many profiles linked between Exchange and FB. As only the Exchange are wrong (and of course I don't know which comes from where on the first glance) it's not obvious what the correct date is on the first glance.

It depends if that info comes from FB or EX.

And you can't tell where it comes from when the profiles are linked.

So:I have to go to outlook / FB Website / client each time to check.

That's possible but rather annoying obviously.

Changing the dates in Exchange is not an option, because they _are_ correct. They are just displayd incorrect.

But thanks for the idea anyway.

Answer
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2011-04-21, 12:28 PM

Exchange is where i fixed it.

One of 2 things usually does it. Just opening the contact and saving it. Or opening the contact, change the B-day, save, and change it back and save again.

This is a weird ActiveSync bug that has plagued smartphones for years. For all I know it is fixed in Exchange 2010. But if you google "Exchange Sync birthdays off by one day" you will see this plagues anything that syncs with Exchange from iPhones to Google accounts to other Android devices, even Blackberries. Microsoft has to fix this.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

20 Posts

09-25-2010

germany

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2011-04-21, 12:52 PM

Hello,

I see: you mean: correct it from the device that shows the wrong date?

Ok, I was afraid of doing that because I thought:

If the data is correct in Echange and it's a bug in the device displaying it then it might get saved back wrong to exchange when I change it on the deivce.

But that's a good idea - I will try that with a sample.

Even though that means that I might have to edit all contacts that are stored in exchange and I will always have to do that again when I create a new contact from any other device than the phone.

Life's not easy, is it? :-)

Thanks though!

Options

20 Posts

09-25-2010

germany

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2011-04-21, 15:25 PM

Hi,

I just tried to correct the date from the phone (where it's displayed wrong) and you seem to be right:

on the one hand, in Exchange itself the data is not altered - or at least Outlook doesn't show any difference.

On the other hand the phone displays everything correctly now.

The downside of the whole thing is that I do have to alter a whole lot of contacts on the phone. ;-(

I have also found some other even stranger details:

In at least 5 contacts where Outlook shows me a correct date, the date in the phone is set to 1.1.1970.

This seems to be some default date. But why that occurs - I have no idea.

Well anyway, after some serious work it's done now and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

southy

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)