What's DOS?
Views: 6,591
Message 1 of 14

Defy: It's asking me to re-authenticate when I swap sims

Its just that when I switch sim cards. Motorola blue complains

“SIM card removed or changed. Log in to your MOTOBLUR account to unlock.”

then when I enter my username and password combination I get this error:

“Sign In. An error has occurred. Please try again.”

I’ve turned on the wifi so the phone would use that. I’ve also checked that the user name / password combination is correct by logging on to the Motoblur website on my PC.

Thats why I wanted a software unlock as it seems there is some issue with unlocking the phones.

Cheers,

Chris

Mto
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 14

Re: Defy: It's asking me to re-authenticate when I swap sims

What exactly do you mean by unlocking the phone? If it's not simlocked, how else is it locked?

christhedon wrote:

Its just that when I switch sim cards. Motorola blue complains

then when I enter my username and password combination I get this error:

“Sign In. An error has occurred. Please try again.”

I’ve turned on the wifi so the phone would use that. I’ve also checked that the user name / password combination is correct by logging on to the Motoblur website on my PC.

Thats why I wanted a software unlock as it seems there is some issue with unlocking the phones.

Cheers,

Chris

christhedon
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 14

I mean switch sim cards without getting the errors.

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 14

As a security measure when you remove a sim and put in a new one or power up the phone without the SIM we ask you to re-authenticate your account. You need to enter the MOTOBLUR ID you are using on the phone and the password. Go to http://www.motorola.com/mymotoblur and log in. If you are successful then enter this same username and password to get into your phone.

If you pulled the SIM card out and then changed your password and then put a new SIM card in it would be the password you used before you changed passwords. The phone doesn't connect to the servers to update the password if you pull out the SIM.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
tzynic
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 14

and then what? i have the same "an error has occurred please try again" message.

robwormald
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 14

I recenty switched SIM and had the same issue. The only resolution I found was to perform a full-reset on the phone and then, when I inserted the SIM next time, the Motoblur account did authenticate and it was fine.

If I remember correctly, you may need to do a few restarts and use the old SIM to get access to the menu where you can perfom the reset. There maybe another way round that, but I don't know it.

It now works absolutely fine. My biggest concern was that contacts and content would be lost on the reset, but once the Motoblur account kicked in again, all the content was back. I did make sure photos and media was on the SD card, rather than on-board memory.

Good luck!

R

Moto Emeritus
Message 7 of 14

On the computer or the phone you saw that error?

tzynic wrote:

and then what? i have the same "an error has occurred please try again" message.

Mark
Former Employee
flybri1
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 14

Gday!

I am having a similar problem: I recently tried a pre-paid SIM card when I was on holiday in FIji (I didn't have any luck, but that's another story...). When I returned to Australia and re-inserted my old SIM, I received exactly the same message as Chris:

When I enter my username and password, I get the following message:

"Sign-in: The phone radio is unable to connect to the network. Make sure the radio is on or if it is on, move into a better coverage area and try again."

Like Chris, I have tried to enable WiFi so that the phone can access the Net via my desktop, but I cannot access any settings that might allow me to turn on the "phone radio".

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

FlyBri.

Paddy20815
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 14

Answers from Motorola on this topic are irrelevant.

There are a lot of situations where connecting to the motoblur server is just impossible. And you just want to use your phone as a basic phione device with a local SIM card, just because your home provider would charge you too much for what they see as an international call.

So you remove your primary SIM and insert a local one. Then you cannot use your phone because it asks for a password but can never connect to check it.

When you're back home you ask the Motorola support: they have a few ready to use answers all with "security" in it. This is not acceptable because when you buy a new phone and sign for motoblur you don't know about that specific consequence (yes you're allowed not to sign but they never warn you that signing means being locked out of your own phone by the manufacturer).

Motorola support deleted my motoblur account: they told me it would solve my problem. Well.. it's worse now. If I remove the SIM from my main provider, I'm locked out of my phone.

Motorola doesn't have any right to lock the owner out of his phone. Their "security" answer is just BS.

I'm still waiting for a relevant answer. And I'm ready to do what I hav to if I don't get it.

Moto Emeritus
Message 10 of 14

Paddy20815 said:

Answers from Motorola on this topic are irrelevant.

There are a lot of situations where connecting to the motoblur server is just impossible. And you just want to use your phone as a basic phione device with a local SIM card, just because your home provider would charge you too much for what they see as an international call.

So you remove your primary SIM and insert a local one. Then you cannot use your phone because it asks for a password but can never connect to check it.

When you're back home you ask the Motorola support: they have a few ready to use answers all with "security" in it. This is not acceptable because when you buy a new phone and sign for motoblur you don't know about that specific consequence (yes you're allowed not to sign but they never warn you that signing means being locked out of your own phone by the manufacturer).

Motorola support deleted my motoblur account: they told me it would solve my problem. Well.. it's worse now. If I remove the SIM from my main provider, I'm locked out of my phone.

Motorola doesn't have any right to lock the owner out of his phone. Their "security" answer is just BS.

I'm still waiting for a relevant answer. And I'm ready to do what I hav to if I don't get it.

If you are swapping SIMS and you log back in with a new SIM you can do so without any kind of Data Connection. If you change your password on your MOTOBLUR account from the time you take out one SIM and put in the new one the password will still be the old one. You need to have your password known before you take out the SIM. That being said. if you don't know your password. Reset it on the PC. Then when your phone checks into the servers and says, your password has been changed, at that point you enter the new password 3 times. It connects to the servers updates and then everything is synced. When you pull out the SIM and put in a new one you will put the password you just established to get back into your phone. No data required. The encrypted password is stored locally on the phone at that point. The phone can be logged into without an active data connection. I've done this myself with Test SIMs that had no service. 

I stand by this being a good security feature. As if someone were to steal my phone and take out the sim and try to put their SIM in, they couldn't get access to my information until they reset it. If they didn't take out my SIM they would risk getting tracked so they typically remove the SIM quickly. 

As far as your account being deleted. I find this difficult to imagine. Our agents don't have the ability to delete accounts. Your service provider would need to contact us on your behalf and then put in a ticket to have the account deleted. It typically takes a little bit do do that. I'd be happy to look into this further if you would provide any reference to your call or email that initiated the deletion.

Mark
Support Forums manager 

Mark
Former Employee