Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 2,775
Message 11 of 14

Re: Defy: It's asking me to re-authenticate when I swap sims

Paddy20815 said:

Answers from Motorola on this topic are irrelevant.

There are a lot of situations where connecting to the motoblur server is just impossible. And you just want to use your phone as a basic phione device with a local SIM card, just because your home provider would charge you too much for what they see as an international call.

So you remove your primary SIM and insert a local one. Then you cannot use your phone because it asks for a password but can never connect to check it.

When you're back home you ask the Motorola support: they have a few ready to use answers all with "security" in it. This is not acceptable because when you buy a new phone and sign for motoblur you don't know about that specific consequence (yes you're allowed not to sign but they never warn you that signing means being locked out of your own phone by the manufacturer).

Motorola support deleted my motoblur account: they told me it would solve my problem. Well.. it's worse now. If I remove the SIM from my main provider, I'm locked out of my phone.

Motorola doesn't have any right to lock the owner out of his phone. Their "security" answer is just BS.

I'm still waiting for a relevant answer. And I'm ready to do what I hav to if I don't get it.

Paddy20815 said:

Thanks for the anwser Mark, but I'm afraid you missed my point. Yes indeed I want to use freely a local SIM when I stay a few days in some countries. I was in Burkina Faso and purchased a SIM from Airtel (an Indian Telco that also operates in Africa). It took me two hours, with the correct password, to gain access to my own phone. Is this acceptable?

Again, this is not designed for using in some countries.

What I don't accept is that when I purchased the phone, I had almost no choice but to register. Yes, I know, it's possible to bypass... But it's definitely designed so that an ordinary customer will sign in. ANd then, you're trapped.

I called the French support and they told me that the only solution was to delete the blur account. OK. But after that, it was worse.

Now, I have my own solution: wipe data and cache, this means restart from scratch but not even a full factory reset, restore everything from backup (there are good tools for that) and that's it. I was able to use my foreign SIM. Well, just for a while because I put it before restoring eveything... After restoring, at next reboot, le device was again asking for the blur password.

So, I did it again but did not restore the system data. And now it works.

By the way, it proves that all that blur stuff is stored somewhere that can be chnaged by software. I've understood: it seems taht you know your job, but the French support doesn't and jus anwsers BS to customers. I have been a sofware engineer for more tahn 20 years and even if my job is totally out of the sofware industry now, I still know how it works.

All that to tell Motorola that if a customer wants to remove this constraint, and wants to switch SIMs without being asked a passwword, he has the right to do it. Even if the customer has signed to you Blur product before he was able to understand all the implications. I just hope that you can imprive your policy.

Reply from this other post: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/1d3c8ddd2c

I don't disagree with you that customers should have a choice however the number of customers that would benefit from having their information secure if they were to lose their phone covers more people than those who will change their SIM card regularly. We do have some newer phones that have BLUR that you doesn't require a login thus it doesn't have this dependency. Less secure in my mind and requires the user to pay attention to using a PIN/Password instead to secure their device. They also miss out on remote locate functionality by not having a MOTOBLUR login. There are always plusses and minuses to everything. 

As for mis-communication with our French support I apologize. Access to our servers is possible from any country with internet access provided the country you are in hasn't blocked it. I'm not aware of any country at this time that doesn't allow access. I agree that the explanation to you probably have been clearer. I'll see if we can get someone local to review the troubleshooting to avoid inconvenience to you our customers. Anyone who has forgotten their PIN and their MOTOBLUR password must reset. If you've forgotten just the pin but not the MOTOBLUR password then you should still be able to access the device. Obviously it is a requirement of the device owner to remember one or both. Motorola holds no account information with your service provider. For privacy reasons we couldn't help you bypass security measures to allow you access to a device as we cannot ensure that you are the rightful owner.  I can understand how it would be frustrating if you are the rightful owner but think that if you were ever to have lost your device you would feel it is acceptable convience for the tradeoff of knowing your info is secure if it had fallen in the wrong hangs.

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
Paddy20815
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 14

OK Mark. Thanks for the answer.

There are pros and cons for everything. I agree that most users will use one and only one SIM before they replace their device and I understand that for just 1% of the customers, Motorola will not add a red warning "Hey, you will need a connection and your password if you want to use your phone with another phone". Again, this does not work in some places (I can't access a Google account from the Airtel network, or I'd rather say that I can only do it using a stange bypass thru the TOR network... just to explain that in somes place what could be simple in DC or Paris becomes difficult).

I found my way out of the trap, so it's not a big deal. I've no longer a Blur account and my device is no locker Blur protected. Yes, I've lost some security, but that's my choice. My only concern is that someone who has limited technical knowledge will hardly get out of the trap.

Anyway, thanks for the answsers.

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 13 of 14

Again I'm not sure why it would be requiring a network connection to sign back in since the password would be local at that point. Knowing which password it is is key. After it logs back in you have to have a connection to MOTOBLUR to have some things word but it shouldn't prevent general use of the phone.

Certainly I understand proxies though Smiley Happy

Thanks for your feedback.

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
Gatewave
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 14

I want to ask a question on this exact same topic as we facing this same issue.

I bought a Motorola Defy with Motoblur for my wife and we created an account for her and had it all setup here in Australia. Last week she traveled overseas put a local carrier sim card and the phone asked her for the motoblur username and password. Now she doesn't remember the password and she doesn't want to reset her phone as it would be too much trouble to setup everything again.

I have reset her password online using my PC but when she enters the motoblur username and the new password the phone comes up with a message saying the radio is not able to connect to the network... Not sure what to do next.

Could somebody please help?

Thanks