Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AciBoy
What's DOS?
Views: 6,193
Message 11 of 150

Re: Help! Defy keeps rebooting.

Hi

I'm not too sure as neither has N5 or N3 written on them one is from Sure Cable and Wireless Guernsey (mine) and is about a year old my wife has one from Wave Telecom Guernsey and is about two years old. So I am guessing that a "newer" sim card will do the trick.

Regards Martin

DiscoStu
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 150

Good luck with that. I'm in Jersey with JT Wave. I've had 4 new sim cards in a week (3 different types) and they all do the same. I have found out that the problem is when the phone loses 3G signal, normally when inside an old granite building or in a valley,  this causes it to reboot.

If you go to network selection and use '2G Only' it stops the phone from rebooting. However this obviously means you won't be on 3G, but does stop the woes.

Please Motorola can you give us a fix that will stop the phone from rebooting when 3G signal drops out.

AciBoy
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 150

Hi DiscoStu

S**T  the wife's on JT Wave too!!! I was going to get a new sim card today but I wont I'll try the 2G setup and see (she doesn't use 3G anyway).

Strange that its a 3G problem as WT has a very advanced system and sim card range ie the very latest ones. So please MOTO sort it as I am sure it will happen to others.

spikeofax
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 150

I purchased a Defy last week from Wave Telecom in St Peter Port, Guernsey which has exactly this problem. They replaced the first one, but the second one has the same issue. I've no idea what type of sim card it has but have swapped it for a C&W one to see if that makes any difference over the weekend, else the phone is going back. I'm not sure why the type of sim card should make a difference anyway. The problem appears to be related to signal dropout as I think another user has identified. Hope this helps.

AciBoy
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 150

Thanks for that, Yes I’ve no idea why this happens, but luckly the wife is happy on 2G…for me it would be unacceptable and I would have returned the phone.

Regards Martin

Scrannel
802.11n
Message 16 of 150

OK, this may be worth a shot.  You think when 3G is dropped it reboots?  Out of curiosity has anyone gone into the "info" menu to see what the setting is under "set preferred network type" ?  (Get into menu: *#*#4636#*#*).

AciBoy
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 150

Hi Scrannel

Its says GSM Only

Scrannel
802.11n
Message 18 of 150

Morning AciBoy.  Try changing it to "GSM auto (PRL)" and see what does down!

AciBoy
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 150

Hi Scrannel

Sorry nope it crashed

Regards Martin

Scrannel
802.11n
Message 20 of 150

AciBoy,

Double check to be sure when you close out of that menu that it's not "defaulting" back to GSM only.  Theoretically (I have read), with GSM only you cannot get anything higher than Edge.  Mine will default to GSM only when I use wifi calling and if I leave it on and transition to a non-wifi area sometimes the phone does a little frequency dance trying to decide what to do.  If I shut off wifi (which also closes the wifi calling app), it changes to GSM auto (PRL) so I can get 3G.  However, occasionally it won't and a couple of times I had to reboot.  Worth a look, anyway.