Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 5,655
Message 131 of 150

Re: Help! Defy keeps rebooting.

@sexymax

Contact customer care locally http://www.motorola.com/support and explain your situation and have them log the repair. If there is found to be a warranty issue then they would repair it and send it back. Even if it isn't repaired I am pretty sure it would be shipped back at no charge to you.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
sexymax
What's DOS?
Message 132 of 150

Thanks again for that Mark..I will follow up your suggestion..But, I have been wondering trolling through the forum, are all these symtoms a software or hardware problem ? for instance if it is software there are all sorts of operating programs available apparently. So  theorectically by replacing the software completley it could rectify the problems ?

I`m just anticipating my options in the event motorola doesn`t want to know

regards Sexymax

Troogle
What's DOS?
Message 133 of 150

Hi, i'm from russia? on friday i bought Defy+ in finland, and it reboots all the time? i tryed different sim-card, also new one, it keeps rebooting!!!

i don't know what else to do, please help me!!!!

ps

also, without any simcard it worgks perfectly..((

LePat
What's DOS?
Message 134 of 150

Defy+ owned since one week. It reboots as soon as 3G is activated and go in reboot loop. With 2G only it is ok but it reboots when data (Edge) is activated.

It is NOT the SIM card, my own SIM card works very well in others smartphones (HTC, Samsung and Sony have been tried). Another test with a friend SIM card was ok, no reboot with 2G/data activated. So it seems to be a communication problem between my service provider and the Defy+.

Updating the system from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 did not change anything.

Oh, I forgot to says that all tests have been done with an "out-of-the-box" phone with a fully charged battery. Everything else works fine.

The Defy+ is probably the best phone in its category (smallest, best batterie, life-proof, ...) but I will maybe return me Defy+ if Motorola does not show interrest on this not uncommun problem. Futhermore when a full replacement of the phone does not make it works!

Expecting some Motorola's answer...

robwormald
What's DOS?
Message 135 of 150

I've had a Defy (MB526) since March 2012 (bought new, SIM-free) and it's been re-booting regularly (upto 3 times an hour).

My wife has an MB525 and never had any such problem. Following reading this forum, I've tried using the battery from my wife's phone - still reboots. Then I contacted O2 to replace the SIM, which I swapped last weekend - it's been rebooting just as frequently since then.

I love (almost) everything else about this phone, but it is infuriating when you've been writing an email or text and then it just reboots before your eyes.

The only other issue I've had is about a month ago it stopped playing some .avi videos that it was happily playing before then - but maybe that's one for another thread!

For both issues, Ive tried master reset - to no avail.

Any other thoughts on what I might try?

Also, why this seems to be such a common problem for more than 2 years with no fix?

Mto
Bit Torrent
Message 136 of 150

Have you tried if it also reboots when no sim card is inserted, or have you tried your wife's sim card in your phone?

Does it reboot then? If it still reboots in both cases, please contact service here:

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask%2Fp_country_code%2FGB

robwormald
What's DOS?
Message 137 of 150

Thanks @TRose.

No reboot with the SIM out for the last hour, but then it can go several hours, without a reboot so not conclusive yet.

I need the SIM back in for now but will test again tomorrow, when I can transfer SIM back to my old phone so I don't miss any calls Smiley Happy

Will also try alternative SIM in the Defy then.

Will report back tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,
Robert 

robwormald
What's DOS?
Message 138 of 150

What a day to pick to try swapping my O2 SIM for my GiffGaff SIM to test this!

So far, with the GiffGaff SIM in the Defy, I haven't experienced a reboot today. By now, I would have expected at least one or two reboots, even on a good day.

Problem is, my O2 SIM is on a SIM only contract with O2 until next January. I don't want to go on paying for that if I have to use my GiffGaff SIM to stop it rebooting.

Anyone else got any experience with O2 SIMS causing problems and how to make sure O2 provide the right SIM?

Thanks for your help. 

tubamuirum
What's DOS?
Message 139 of 150

I have a Defy, originally on Orange PAYG, but unlocked to use on giffgaff.

Unfortunately, mine reboots pretty much daily, and always in the same location, on the train between Clapham Junction and London Victoria, in either direction, but more often when travelling towards London. This suggests it is signal-related - I have tried pretty much everything:

• multiple hard resets,

• cleared cache,

• got a new sim from giffgaff,

• changed sd card, 

• cleared apn settings and set-up using the giffgaff app,

• removed apps from task manager kill-list,

• set battery mode to "Performance"

• etc., etc.

The handset is still in warranty and a recent Motorola chat session concluded that I should send it in for repair, but I'm not convinced this will achieve anything... finally, I shall borrow a different battery and try that as a last resort...

If that doesn't work I suppose I'll have to send it in. I'm reluctant to root and flash a different rom as this will obviously remove any warranty repair option, and there is no guarantee it will work - unless it is the Orange bloat conflicting with a non-Orange sim.

jesk
What's DOS?
Message 140 of 150

I don't know if this thread is still alive but, If i wasn't bald i would be tearing my hair out with motorola, I have been having warranty issues for over 6 months with my defy mb525, first warranty repair 18/5/2012, 2/6/2012 the main board was replaced along with other items, kept having the restart issue along with other issues had other items replaced in it, and being in and out of the shop, til when i got it back again on the 26/10/2012 It would no longer read contacts in sim cards as well as same old issues, then finally on the 14/11/2012 a replacement phone was authorised which i didnt see until 19/12/2012 and within a week already crashing again (generally minimal apps cos I havent kept the phone long enough between repairs and hard starts, and empty mini SD) I am still waitng on a response about this phone but, I think I have been too patient with motorola. ( has also had different sim card and different providers, new battery at my cost at their suggestion)

If anyone has any ideas on what may be the problem would be much appreciated, but I can safely say I doubt I will ever use a motorola device again, I may even buy an Iphone despite me being anti apple for the last 15 years