Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badinage
What's DOS?
Views: 5,963
Message 51 of 150

Re: Help! Defy keeps rebooting.

Ok, I wiped out all the applications on the auto-kill list and I set the battery to performance mode. Phone worked fine all weekend, didnt notice a single reboot. But once I got in to work on monday, problem came backl. Reboot ever 2-5 minutes until I put it back in airplane mode. Whats the next thing that I should try?

Scrannel
802.11n
Message 52 of 150

Out of curiosity, what are you running at work?  Sounds like something may be happening in your work environment.  What's different?  A suggestion: if you are running wifi at work, try making certain your cell data is off.  This sounds like it might be some kind of reception issue.  Again, is your sim card updated? 

lecrote
What's DOS?
Message 53 of 150

The sim didn't help!

As far I remove the Battery to look at the sim card after reinstalling the battery the phone start to reboot again!

It is for sure a power issue because after that I got a ? on the Battery icon!

Dan

guillemsola
What's DOS?
Message 54 of 150

A question mark on the battery icon is a common sign of this failure. Motorola must take this issue seriously and do something about.

Today my phone after several reboots was unable to make a call. It's very anoying.

chaihg
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 55 of 150

Hi All, I wanted to point out that I was able to somewhat narrow down on the problem. When the phone does not get a good network signal and when it simulatneously tries to access data network (which the android phones are always doing), it enters into reboot. I tried for months trying to get to the core of the issue and this is what I concluded. If you want to replicate the issue, go to a low-signal or zero-signal area (i experimented in an elevator) and keep monitoring the signal strength in "Phone Status" under Settings. Once the signal reaches close to -113dbm +/- 2dbm (which is zero signal), the phone reboots.

I hope we are successful in pressurizing motorola to take a look at this.

guillemsola
What's DOS?
Message 56 of 150

Whow this is easy to test, althought I have seen my phone reboot many times at job and it's always at -75db that is a high signal level.

Do you think that does HSPA or 3G something to do with it also?

chaihg
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 57 of 150

No, not only 3G but 2G also. One more condition to replicate this problem is that apart from the low signal yyour phone ahould be on standby i.e screen off. If you keep watching it then phone stays awake and reboot is not initiated.

Scrannel
802.11n
Message 58 of 150

I live in a low-signal area which can jump from no connection to 3G in a moment.  It can also simply dwindle down from 3G > 2G > gsm > nothing.  I have never had my phone reboot on it's own, ever.  I still believe this is a battery related issue. 

gropes
What's DOS?
Message 59 of 150

It's just the strangest thing! My phone could be rebooting every 5 minutes, but in the last few days it didn't do it once. I was fairly convinced by the signal strength argument as it fluctuates where I live which is where it did most of the rebooting. But that situation hasn't changed while the rebooting's stopped. Could Motorola have sent out a firmware patch which installed itself and solved the problem? lol

chaihg
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 60 of 150

This is my second phone and two of them are completely different builds. They are able to replicate the same problem identically. The only other reason for this problem can be from sim card. So i have to change my card and see if this can again be replicated. I will do this over the weekend with a sim from my wife's phone.