Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eltufto
What's DOS?
Views: 1,268
Message 1 of 55

Haptic Feedback Won't Turn Off

I turned it off in "Sounds & display" but it is still on for the soft buttons - extremely annoying.  Seems like a bug to me, the phone in the T-Mobile store had the same problem.  Any help?

eltufto
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 55

Re: Haptic Feedback Won't Turn Off

I turned it off in "Sounds & display" but it is still on for the soft buttons - extremely annoying.  Seems like a bug to me, the phone in the T-Mobile store had the same problem.  Any help?

Highlighted
Girish
Broadband 3G
Message 3 of 55

This is not a bug. I ACK that it might be annoying for some folks but this is a standard implementation for almost all soft buttons as most users would not know that they hit the right spot on the key without that haptic feedback. Many customer studies and trials have also shown that haptic feedback improves the accuracy. For a hard key on the device, this is not needed ofcourse.

eltufto
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 55

I dunno, not really buying it.  I can see how some designer could think that but really, functionally the soft keys are just dedicated areas of the touch screen.  Motorola allows me to turn off haptic feedback for the "general touch area" so why not for the "specific touch area" aka the Soft Keys?

In any case, when I go into "Sounds and display" and uncheck "Haptic feedback" here's what it says for the description:

"Vibrate when pressing soft keys and on certain UI interactions"

That seems pretty clear to me that this is supposed to turn off haptic feedback whenever i touch a soft key.  Sorry, still calling bug on this one.

Girish
Broadband 3G
Message 5 of 55

Can you please clarify which soft keys you are referring to? If it is the Menu, Home, Back and Search key, then that's really considered 'Touch area'. If you are experiencing this with a particular app or a soft button/key, please let me know.

eltufto
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 55

It's the four buttons you mention - Menu, Home, Back and Search

Not specific to any app, the haptic feedback is present during all usage, including while not in any app and on the home screen.

Mto
Bit Torrent
Message 7 of 55

Haptic feedback for the four menu softkeys can not be turned off.

eltufto
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 55

Yes I realize that.  See my second correspondence for why this doesn't make any sense, from both a functional point of view and a "the phone explicitly says it can turn it off" point of view.

In any case it's all software, so the ability to do so can (and hopefully should...) be provided.  It's driving me crazy, I'm tempted to return the phone.

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 55

The area at the bottom is not considered "soft keys". Soft keys are

on-screen, which is why it works this way.

The area below is a touch-sensitive area, similar to the touch screen, but

not the same part.

I understand the confusion, but I believe all phones with this option have

haptic feedback "always on" for the touch area.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM, eltufto <

eltufto
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 55

OK, thanks for the clarification.

What hope is there that this will be corrected, with some kind of option to turn on/off?  I've noticed that this is an extremely common complaint, with people going so far as to root their phones just to get rid of it.