Options

10 Posts

03-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 34

DEVOUR: Issues with MotoBlur crashing and losing all MotoBlur contacts

2010-03-16, 6:09 AM
Hey everyone, doing some recon for my wife. She got a Devour the day they came out to Best Buy and she LOVES it. However, there seems to be an issue with it. Twice now, the Motoblur Contacts have crashed on her and all of her contacts become removed from the phone. I had her set up her contacts this way since they're saved on the MotoBlur servers. To fix this issue we have to restore the factory settings. After this happening twice now, we just want to know if we need to replace the phone or if there is something else causing this issue that can be fixed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Views: 922
  • Message 2 of 34

Re: DEVOUR: Issues with MotoBlur crashing and losing all MotoBlur contacts

2010-03-16, 13:13 PM

i have heard of this happening to others but have not had it happen myself. most of the time it comes back shortly and it is not recommended to keep doing factory resets to get it back but let it come back on its own. i highly recommend syncing your info to gmail and using that to handle your contacts and calendar as it is very easy to work with your contacts on your computers web browser then they sync to your phone. the BLUR sync is great as well especially if you have to factory reset as you mentioned and all the great widgets for syncing but i prefer the gmail route for contacts and calendar. also if you go this route be sure to check out an app on the market called "G-Backup Pro" it is amazing. it will automatically back up all your SMS, MMS, Videos, and Pictures to your gmail account and separate them by type.

hope that helps

Options

10 Posts

03-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 34

2010-03-16, 23:46 PM
Well, I do that with my Droid and its fine, but my wife is using the MotoBlur Contacts instead. I just want to know if there's something I should change in my settings or if we should just return the phone. We've waited 2 days before doing a factory reset this last time and the motoblur contacts never came back up so its not an issue of just "waiting it out"
Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Views: 922
  • Message 4 of 34

2010-03-17, 19:59 PM
i will alert one of the Moto guys to help with this.
Options

101 Posts

02-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 34

2010-03-18, 16:23 PM

dj,

I've asked Matt (our Forums Manager) to get in touch with you by means of PM (private message) to confirm a few more details about your account.  The expected behavior is that MOTOBLUR should backup your contacts stored to the local device (i.e. to your "MOTOBLUR address book") and I made sure to reconfirm this last night myself, by doing a factory data reset on my phone.

One other "just in case" comment -- you can sort the view of contacts on DEVOUR by sync source, e.g. you can view "All contacts", or "Facebook" only, or "MOTOBLUR address book" only, etc.  You'll want to make sure you're either viewing "All contacts" or "MOTOBLUR address book" contacts when you're confirming if they do or don't show up on the phone.

Thanks,

Warren @ Moto

Options

10 Posts

03-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 34

2010-03-18, 17:12 PM
Yeah, what happens exactly is the phone will pop up with a notification saying that the Motoblur application has Force Closed. If there was a way to just restart Motoblur without having to factory reset the phone would be the ideal solution. When this happens the contacts will only show "all contacts" which is usually blank because all of the contacts we set up are on the Motoblur address book. Thanks again for your help and we hope this info is more helpful in finding the cause.
Options

101 Posts

02-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 34

2010-03-18, 17:49 PM

dj,

So you're seeing a Force Close for BLUR's main process showing up?  (What is the exact process name that shows up in the Force Close message?)  If so, my first response would be a power cycle, not a full-blown factory data reset.  If you're seeing it happening consistently despite multiple power cycles, then yes, factory data reset would be advised.  And if still seeing it after multiple factory data resets, I'd say to get in touch with Motorola customer service at this link to discuss further troubleshooting steps and other options available to you.

In the meantime, once Matt gets a few more details on your BLUR account, we'll also ask our BLUR team to do a quick confirmation on the server side to see if they can identify anything that might explain your inability to get MOTOBLUR address book contacts restored to the device.

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble!

Warren @ Moto

Options

10 Posts

03-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 34

2010-03-18, 22:56 PM

Yeah, that was the first thing I did was power cycle it and did a battery pull (which PS, I LOVE the battery mechanism on the Devour, I still have random issues with my cover falling off on the Droid, haha).

So far its been several days since it happened so hopefully it won't Force Close again, but if it does, I asked my wife to write down the entire error message that comes up so she can help you guys out more in the investigation. Thanks again

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Views: 58302
  • Message 9 of 34

2010-03-19, 4:25 AM
Hey, djcatskratch, the battery door issue is known. Contact us and we'll send you a new one. Or, you can probably pick one up at your Verizon store -- most have them I think.
Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

2 Posts

03-25-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 34

2010-03-25, 0:30 AM

I just had the same exact problem today, all of my contacts magically disappeared, I called Verizon to help see if they could get them back, which we did successfully by resynchronizing them through gmail. The problem still is that I had previously linked all of my contacts to at least one social networking program, and am left to go through all nearly 200 contacts and redo this process, wondering if this is going to be a routine thing....which from the looks of it sounds as it is. Facebook is also currently not updating my contacts; for instance when I first got my devour  I connected to facebook and all my contacts were linked (if their names were correct) and the rest was left for me to do, but this time my facebook contacts have not connected themselves to my contacts through motoblur. I really like this phone but am debating switching in for something slightly less difficult.

Update:

My contacts were lost for a second time today, and although I just had to go through gmail to get them back this is becoming quite annoying. My devour also turned off by itself ( It was sitting on my desk), and a few minor close force errors.Although I really like this phone, I've contacted motorola to get a new phone ( new as in a different one, not another devour) considering walmart won't let me return it because I tore my box to shreds getting the proof of purchase bar codes for my verizon rebate.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete