United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 13

Daily reboots/shutdowns

2010-05-17, 10:13 AM

Hey all,

Just curious as to how many total people here experience daily reboots and/or shutdowns. The reason I ask is because I'm already on my second Devour, and this one is rebooting/shutting down multiple times per day just like my first one, however I don't know if it's worth calling to get another Devour if it's just going to keep having the same errors. So what do you all think, are we stuck with the constant rebooting with these phones? :-/

Beginning to think I should have stuck with my DROID originally...

Thanks,

Chad

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Views: 58302
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Daily reboots/shutdowns

2010-05-17, 13:29 PM

Chad, can you confirm that you are on the 1.15.83 software release? If you are, please send me your Blur username (e-mail address) and the Devour's phone number via private message. We will look into this.

Thanks.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

40 Posts

05-12-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2010-05-17, 19:09 PM
I'm having these problems as well.
Options

379 Posts

07-21-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2010-05-18, 0:29 AM
I don't doubt for a min your exsperencing your devour shuting down and restarting , but It's not all the devours that are having these problems, i never had my phone restart or reboot.
Options

9 Posts

04-24-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2010-05-18, 15:28 PM

I'm having the rebooting issue as well and I'm on my third Devour.  Motorola's suggestions of pulling the battery out, factory reset, and downloading the update hasn't helped with any of them.

Currently I have two phones since Amazon sent me a replacement and I haven't yet returned the other one.  Since I have a fourty day period to make the return I decided to do some comparison troubleshooting.

Running the phone as the phone only without additional software and with WiFi, GPS, BlueTooth, and Background data turned off doesn't help.  Removing the SD card doesn't help.  One of these phones I've done a factory reset on it and have not activated it onto my account still has its rebooting issue.

I've left them both turned on and put them on the charger and let them stay on the charger over night and during the night neither phone had rebooted by morning.  (I know this because I leave the phone set for when I turn the display on I'll see my contacts menu, but if it happens to restart all I'll see when I turn it on is the "desktop").  After taking both phones off the charger the one activated on my account will restart itself within four hours, while the one not activated on my account can see up to six hours without a reboot.  The differences?  Well, obviously, one is activated on my account and the other isn't.  The one activated on my account depletes the battery faster than the one not activated on my account.  Less applications and such running on the one that is not activated.

Also, I've never noticed the phone rebooting with the battery above %90 charge and it seems like the weeker the battery gets the more rebooting the phone does.  Up to a point, anyway.  After the battery gets down to about 15% or less the rebooting stops.  Of course, by that time the battery doesn't have all that much life left to it either.

I've seen the battery meter drop approximately 20% after a random reboot.  Also, when the battery starts getting low the phones almost always reboot then give their beep to let me know the battery is getting low.  Without fail, that is how it has happened with two different phones three days in a row.  Reboot, then low battery beep.  Never a low battery beep without the reboot coming first.

So, I think the issue lies with the battery somewhere.  Defective battery, bad connection, or issue with the software that displays the battery meter and such.

Since Amazon's replacements appear to be "refurbished" phones with "refurbished" batteries and I keep having the same issue with the replacements I'm considering just going out and purchasing a brand new battery to see if that offers any improvement.

Options

553 Posts

03-27-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2010-05-18, 17:04 PM

Hi,

I am not having a reboot issue...

Matt

Options

379 Posts

07-21-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2010-05-18, 19:43 PM

I personally would never buy from an unauthorized Verizon dealer or any of these other sites like Ebay, you don't know if they hacked the phone flashed it numerous times or tried modding the phone. The best way to purchase a Motorola phone is through Motorola and through an authorized Verizon dealer....

Options

1 Posts

05-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2010-05-18, 22:21 PM
I was having the same issues...wondering why I was not getting calls or texts...I would try to turn phone off and instead it would reboot..but then work..for awhile. I traded my first phone for a replacement...same thing happened again. Then I heard of someone else that had the same issue until they charged the phone while it was off. It is not convenient but I have not had the same issue since I have been charging with the phone off. (Bought phone through Verizon)
Options

9 Posts

04-24-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2010-05-18, 22:45 PM

Amazon Wireless isn't the same as typical Amazon.  AmazonWireless.com is an all new store launched by Amazon and I believe they are an authorized retailer.  The first phone I received from them was brand new.  Only the replacements have seemed "refurbished."  Also, AmazonWireless.com has some great customer service.  Some of the best customer service I've seen in a long time.  Better than Best Buy...  better than any Verizon Wireless owned store I've been to, and better than the phone support I've received from Verizon Wireless.

By the way, I've talked to a Verizon Wireless store over the phone and they said when they give replacements for defective devices it is almost always "refurbished."  While I normally have no problems with refurbished items, I don't trust it with these phones.

I posted information I've gathered from my own troubleshooting in hopes it could help somebody else figure out their own issue or maybe somebody can elaborate.  Pointing fingers at "naughty" retailers isn't exactly helping.

As far as charging the phone with the power off...  I've attempted that and it offered no improvement on the phone.  I've also let the battery go completely dead before recharging multiple times and that proved useless.

Options

50 Posts

04-06-2010

United States

37 Signins

355 Page Views

• Views: 355
  • Message 10 of 13

2010-05-19, 13:09 PM

Chad-

I'm experiencing the same problem - i posted a thread regarding it yesterday.  I'm on my first Devour, which i've had for a month and a half or so - and the problem just started in the last 2 weeks.  Nothing helpful to share, but you asked if anyone else was having the same problem...so add me to your headcount. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete