53 Posts

07-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 28

Mass delete contacts on Devour: Not thru Google

2010-08-16, 18:05 PM

This on'es for the Devour geek expert.

I need to mass delete all contacts on my Devour's contact list directly--not thru Google. Read on to see why.

I got bad tip from Verizon when they loaded my contact list from my Treo when switching over to Devour. All contacts show up on my Devour under Linked Source field as "unknown". I have approx 580 contacts ihn the phone (further messed up as explained in Further Complications, below. I need to delete all contacts on the Phone's contact database. I have read every help on contactnlist editing and most suggestions refer to Google fixes whcih don't work becuase of the Treo source data. I only see a built-in mechanism to delete one contact at a time-------bring up contact list, long hold on contact name, Sekect "Delete the contact." It would take forever to get rid of all these. BTW: There are about 8 addtl entried that came in thru MotoBlur related to Verizon Account speed dials, mostly.

I don't want to do system reset becuase I will lose all my e-mail & text history and all loaded apps, right?

When I go to Google, the contact list somehow looks OK (apparently was generated from "unknown" list on my phone) but it doesn't synch up 2-ways. If I make changes on-line in the Google phone book, they don't show up on my phone.---probably because of the "unkbown" (Treo) source.

If I could mass delete my Contact list on phone, I could re-synch my phone from contact list on Google becuase they'd no longer be a source=unknown for any of the existing contacts.

Other complications:

1) I have a Notes fields that transferred over from Treo. Some notes have hard returns to separate the lines. The notes display OK in Google and on my phone but the CSV export from Google generates a new record/line each time it sees the "new line character" which messes up the data structure for that record and ruins any data upload back to Google.

2) Treo allowed contact storage/lookup by first name, last name, and company name. {I sure hope one of these days Devour will get its act together to do this to, because this is a business tool for me--not a way to keep up with my pals. On the Treo, I had about 80 contact entries with no contact name--just the company name and phone number. (I used this for travel info--airlines, national hotel chains, car rentals, etc) where having a contact name would be meaningless. Worked fine on Treo, but not on Devour or Google's Contacts. All "no-name" contacts came into phone with no contact name but with phone number showing OK and the company name in the Organization field. But because of the contact source="unknown" (explained above) edits to the CSV file won't upload and synch back to Google or pass back down to the phone.

It's a technological mess. I'm certain that a mass delate on the phone and resynch of the phone's contact list from Google will work.

If mass delete is not possible on the Devour directly, is there an aftermarket product that allows editing the Devour's contact list. I've checked Marektplace, but see no contact list editors.

Please help.

Solved! See the solution
Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Views: 922
  • Message 2 of 28

Re: Mass delete contacts on Devour: Not thru Google

2010-08-16, 18:15 PM

the easy way is to  search for "Contact Remover" in the market. It gives you an option to delete contacts with a particular name / pattern or delete all contacts.

be SURE you are not syncing with your gmail contacts when you delete them

i am not sure what is going to happen though with your BLUR. i believe it will also update BLUR to delete them so they do not sync back.

please keep me posted to your results

Options

53 Posts

07-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 28

2010-08-16, 20:07 PM

Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply.

I'm downloading it now. Will give it a try. It "warned" me that the app would gain access to part of my system. If I say, "yes" is my phone now "unrooted? (per my other post today" I don't want to void my warranty.

How do I access/lookup my Phone contacts by Company name (explained need in my first post in this thread)?

Options

53 Posts

07-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 28

2010-08-16, 20:11 PM

Would you please restate the "BLUR contacts" part of your message. I don't understand what you are saying.

Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Message 5 of 28

2010-08-16, 20:14 PM

you will not be root or void your warranty. the app is very easy to undertand once you install it and since you plan to delete everything you should not have to worry about messing up

dismiss the BLUR comment

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

53 Posts

07-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 28

2010-08-16, 22:28 PM

For 2 hours have been getting error, "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." But it doesn't self-correct.

Before starting, I turned Google sync off at my phone. Used the Contact Remover apps you suggested. Highlighted all TREO-basaed contacts and left the MotoBlur ones there. Deleted the Treo-based ones. Tried turning on sync and re-synching and got the error.

What do you suggest?

Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Message 7 of 28

2010-08-16, 22:38 PM

so you are getting an error when you try and recheck the gmail sync options like contacts, calendar, gmail in settings?

Options

53 Posts

07-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 28

2010-08-16, 23:02 PM

In setting, google Synchroniz the Gamil synched, the calendar synched but the contacts STILL shows the same error. Even tried turning auto-synch off and on again and still got that same error.

Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Message 9 of 28

2010-08-16, 23:06 PM

have you power cycled the phone?

have you tried it connected to wifi or are you sure your 3G has a good signal?

Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Message 10 of 28

2010-08-16, 23:09 PM

also while online in your gmail make sure your contacts are in the "All Contacts" section instead of just "My Contacts"

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete