cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve883
What's DOS?
Views: 200
Message 1 of 4

How do I enable GPS to locate my phone when I'm in the wilderness?

Can anyone tell me how to enable gps to give me my location when I'm hiking in the wilderness?  I'd like to use gps when I don't have a connection but even when I do my phone won't pinpoint my location on a map or even give me longitude and lattitude.  What am I doing wrong??

MiZaR
Token Ring
Message 2 of 4

Re: How do I enable GPS to locate my phone when I'm in the wilderness?

You get reception in the wilderness? I didn't know they placed cellular towers in the forest....

chuman72486
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

GPS depends on satelites, not the Cell towers, however in order for your phone to give you any sort of useful info from its GPS readings, it needs some kind of data connection, so having a cell signal is kinda still needed to use it.  However, if you can at least get your GPS coordinates, you can use it to find your location on a regular map.  But I don't know of any apps that will just give you your GPS coordinates without trying to look up a location online.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 4

I believe the GPS Test app in the market will give you raw lat/long/elevation without needing a data connection...

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum