Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 11 of 16 (1,094 Views)

Re: All calls go to voicemail... no change in my settings?

"While I am sorry you had an issue getting responses from our other support

channels I'm not sure they would have had a magic fix for you either. We

haven't determined what the problem is yet so to insult my assistance is a

bit over the top."

I'm sorry you think that's what I was doing. The fact is that any attempt to get a response from Motorola on several other platforms have been flatly ignored. They haven't tried to help and run into a dead end - they've just not tried to help. With each time that happens the customer gets crankier until the one person who does try to help - you in this instance - ends up dealing with someone at the end of their tether.

I have taken the steps you suggested and a reset has meant that the phone now works. But it is just another dent in my trust in the phone. It worked. It got turned off for 6 days. It stopped working. Nothing was added or updated. It just stopped taking incoming calls. How do I know it won't happen again?

"The Dext didn't get upgraded due to a variety of business and or technical factors"

Well they weren't technical factors. Because the Cliq was upgraded. It's the same phone. So they were business factors. Which is insulting to customers. You could do it... but you'd rather not.

Moto Emeritus
Message 12 of 16 (1,094 Views)

I can't guarantee it won't happen again but hopefully you can be more aware

of what you did right before if it does and revert any recent changes to

avoid a reset. Task Managers are a bad thing so avoid them unless it is a

Motorola one.

The CLIQ upgrade was challenged by the hardware limitations. The CLIQ XT

didn't end up getting the upgrade. So due to the experience with CLIQ it

might have been decided not to offer for dext upgrade elsewhere. I dont know

the actual reason. Tough decision it was regardless but we don't want people

to have a poor experience.

Mark

On Jul 23, 2011 8:28 AM, "deetothegee" <

Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 16 (1,094 Views)

"I can't guarantee it won't happen again but hopefully you can be more aware

of what you did right before if it does and revert any recent changes to

avoid a reset."

The only thing I did before it happened was turn the phone off for 6 days while I was visiting a country where the phone doesn't work. I can't not-do-that the next time I go to a foreign country and if that's what causes a problem... then I still have a problem.

No new apps were added. Nothing was installed. Nothing was updated. It just went to sleep for 6 days and woke up broken.

"Task Managers are a bad thing so avoid them unless it is a

Motorola one."

I don't know what a Task Manager is so I'm pretty sure I wasn't using one.

"Tough decision it was regardless but we don't want peopleto have a poor experience"

I'm glad you think that. But the wall of silence on twitter and in response to emails gives the opposite impression. When @motorola doesn't respond it looks like motorola doesn't care. When motorola promises an upgrade then decides not to do so it creates a poor experience... and when it refuses to answer questions about it it suggests that it would just like the people with a bad experience to go away and stop spoiling it for everyone else.

That's the problem with corporations. They have a corporate face. If one person working for that company decides to ignore questions the consumer sees the whole company ignoring questions.

Moto Emeritus
Message 14 of 16 (1,094 Views)

@dave

While I do believe you turned off the phone for 6 days there was something else that happened whether you realized it or not. Knowing what else happened is the key to not having to reset next time. I guarantee that you aren't the only one who turned the phone off for an extended period of time. I'm hoping it was just dumb luck and the series of whatever happened leading up to your issue doesn't happen again. I don't like doing resets but since you didn't have any other info that was all that came to mind.

Task managers can be a good thing if you use them properly. When used improperly they can have detrimental effects. Effects that could have explained your experience.If you didn't use one then we can rule it out.

Twitter isn't really the place to be asking support questions. They're not as technical as the people you'd find here. And they only have 140 characters in which to respond. Typically they refer people here anyway. Is that how you got to us?

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding promised upgrade. It's regrettable that the Dext didn't receive an upgrade however the hardware wasn't really meant for Eclair or above. Those who got it on CLIQ often grew frustrated. Some even elected to go back to Cupcake.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 16 (1,094 Views)

"While I do believe you turned off the phone for 6 days there was something else that happened whether you realized it or not."

As I sat on the plane waiting for take off I received a phone call. I took the call. Then turned the phone off. As I waited to collect my bags, back in the UK, 6 days later I turned the phone on. It beeped as several messages found their way to my phone. I sent one a text message. The recipient of that text message called me. Their call went straight to voicemail. Like every other call that came. Nothing else had happened.

I wasn't using a Task Manager.

Motorola on Twitter didn't send me here. They didn't respond at all. Nor did anyone respond to an email I sent. This was the last port of call for me because creating a profile - giving the company more information about me - took 40 minutes and when your phone hasn't worked for 5 or 6 days, creating a profile for a forum and being asked to invite all my friends as if motorola.com was some kind of social network isn't fun it's a hassle.

And when I refer to the promised upgrade I simply mean that when I forst got the phone I was sold the idea that Android was superior to other platforms and that as it developed, upgrades would always be available.

Yesterday I got an HTC Desire. As I tried to transfer my contacts - by putting them on my sim - I kept getting error messages. It would tell me it was putting 176 contacts on the sim... it would count through them all... and then it would say "An error occurred" and tell me that only 75 contacts had been transferred. I called Orange to see if they could help me and they attempted to walk me through the process. I spoke to 3 people all of whom expressed their surprise at how unhelpful the Motorola website was when looking for help. This has basically been my experience all along.

There have been many niggles with it. I've never found Motorola helpful. I have found strangers on twitter helpful. (I have a lot of followers, if I ask a question there I often get an answer - but not from staff, from other Android users. Who often say, "well, there's no point asking Motorola... but if you try doing X, Y or Z you might find..."

With the latest problem I a) tried Motorola. Got no response b) tried strangers. Who at least tried. But got nowhere before concluding... "shit... looks like you've got to ask Motorola... good luck with that" or words to that effect. c) I signed up here. (I can't tell you how annoying all the "please invite your friends" stuff is. I just wanted help.

Dave

What's DOS?
Message 16 of 16 (1,094 Views)

My buddies moto g just did this also only 3 days old. I just did soft reset and it worked.