Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 40 (190 Views)

Bell Mobility DEXT getting 2.1 upgrade?

Hello all,

Just purchased the Moto DEXT and am enjoying the phone but I do have a concern and an issue.

I'm concerned that after checking the upgrade page I don't see a listing for the Canadian DEXT upgrade (even that it's under evaluation).  I do see both the QUENCH and Backflip listed for Canada but why not the DEXT?  Hopefully this is just an oversight and my version of the DEXT is included in one of the other listings or will be added shortly.

The issue I'm having has to do with the storing of location data in the images the camera takes.  I've got both aGPS and the GPS enabled and location data is available as it is stored in notes taken with 3banana.   The coordinates are not being embedded into the EXIF fields in the pictures.  Not a very big issue but a small annoyance as it makes geotagging images harder.

Any insight or help with either of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 40 (190 Views)

Re: Bell Mobility DEXT getting 2.1 upgrade?

Should I take the lack of response from anyone "in the know" that there are no plans to upgrade the Bell Motorola DEXT to anything higher than 1.5?

Also, after reading some related threads it appears that there's either a bug in the camera app that doesn't store the latitude and longitude in the EXIF or it's by design that the only location (city, etc...) information is stored in the image's filename.

Moto Emeritus
Message 3 of 40 (190 Views)

@omote

Sorry I didn't see this thread second I might not have read this thread as the subject wasn't really descriptive of your question.

I've requested information on the DEXT for Canada in the past. I haven't got a response yet but I'll ask again today and see if we can get something up there for you.

As far as your second question. It's not related to your first question. Another user has asked about this as well. I'm currently investigating. I'll post a response here as well.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 40 (190 Views)

Mark,

Sorry, I shouldn't have made the topic so vague thanks for fixing it up for me!

Thank you for inquiring about a possible update, hopefully there's one planned but still enjoying the phone regardless.

Yes I've been reading the other thread about the location being stored in the EXIF data in pictures, again not a huge problem but would be nice if it can be fixed as the hardware can definitely support the feature.  I'll keep track of the status in the other thread.

Thanks again for replying.

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 40 (190 Views)

If you can take it back and change it for something made by a manufacturer the gives a .... well you know.

Moto have been really unresponsive regarding any upgrade of the DEXT to 2.1, so if you can get rid of it.

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 40 (190 Views)

Thanks for the advice but I really haven't had any issues with the phone, everything's been pretty stable.  I've always found my Motorola phones to be rock solid when it comes to hardware quality and reception and I find the DEXT is no different.

What does concern me though is the lack of communication regarding the possibility of a software update.  I don't need everything that 2.1 offers.  I don't need live wallpapers, tethering and such.  Mutitouch support would be nice as I also have an iPod Touch and it's just so intuitive when using Google Maps to zoom in/out.  I like MotoBlur and would continue to use it.

In fact I'd be happy to stick with 1.5 if not for one thing.  It's frustrating to read about or see a new application advertised somewhere and discovering that it requires 1.6 or higher.

So I'm patiently waiting for some news regarding an update of some kind.  Hopefully once they get the CLIQ update out and it's proven to work they'll address the rest of us with the DEXT.  If it turns out that there are no plans to officially update this phone past 1.5 then I'll be on the lookout for an unofficial solution.

I don't personally agree with people updating with the leaked 2.1 because until they do an official release I do consider it to be wrong.  However I have to wonder if all this could have been avoided by providing more information to customers.  Put up some screenshots of the phone running the new OS (look how many people got excited seeing the screenshots users posted of 2.1 running on the CLIQ).  I don't understand why there has to be so much secrecy regarding these devices.  This isn't an unreleased/unfinished product - we own them now, we know what the hardware is capable of and we have an idea of its limitations.  How is being so vague about a device I'm holding right now a good thing?

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 40 (190 Views)

@Mark

Did u receive any response on when possibly us Canadian DEXT users will be receiving the 2.1 update. I really would like to know as there are alot of apps I would love to run, but cannot because of the limitations on 1.5

Please let us know as soon as possible Mark, thank you

What's DOS?
Message 8 of 40 (190 Views)

Unfortunately I believe the lack of any information says more than any of the mods could say.  I'm still holding out hope though that once the final T-Mobile update is released for the CLIQ that there'd be a better chance of us DEXT users getting some information.

Still it's sad that we can't at least get our own row on the upgrade chart.

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 40 (190 Views)

I made the mistake of waiting to see if the US Cliq got the update and went over the 30 day return policy.

I also brought in the Mac and Windows idea of "if it is current hardware I should be able to get updates".  Phone industry will need to change as Android matures.

Whenever I am out shopping I have been stopping in stores that sell Bell to see if the salesperson has heard rumours about the update to 2.1.  The answer is either no or what's an update.

I am finding most don't really know why the Android version is important.  I take the time to educate with the hope the sales people stop pushing the phone until 2.1 is out or put pressure on Bell.  I know of one vendor that had just sold his first Dext and then looked sick after I went into my little speech.  I have a feeling he is not pushing the phone anymore.

What's DOS?
Message 10 of 40 (190 Views)

This is rediculous, ive called motorola, tweeted them, emailed them and posted in the forum. They have not responded to any of these forms of communication or given me any information on the DEXT update in Canada. Motorola unless you act soon, you have definatly lost a customer, and im not only speaking for myself