Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 10 (164 Views)

DEXT: Shutting off the Data?

Hey guys,

So I'm back with one new question. Previously, I asked about logging off applications (facebook, twitter, gmail, etc.) but no one seem to know how. Anyway, I deleted them off. So yay to that question.

But today, my question is: How do I shut off data usage?

My phone bill (and this number that I called to check on my local data usage) keeps showing that I'm using 2MB of data every month! I do use Wifi, but I don't use any game applications from the Android market (especially since most of them involved data usage). The only things I'm using are:

- Text messager (from the phone, and I don't text from/to emails)

- Camera (I've unactivated the GPS for this)

- Calculator (1 from the phone, 1 scientific calculator from the Android market)

- Calendar (from Android market)

- ColourNote (from Android market)

Those that I've downloaded from the market states it's a freeware. Or have I been punk'd?

Any help would be awesome!

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 10 (164 Views)

Re: DEXT: Shutting off the Data?

Motoblur (it syncs all sorts of phone info such as contacts, phone settings, calendar, alarms etcetc), calendar and any google/gmail you have set up will all consume data.  This is a smartphone though, it is nearly useless without data (makes roaming kinda fun).

You need to change or remove the apn in order to not use data.. I think this is the only option.

Regards

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10 (164 Views)

Sigh... I bought this phone without realising how snazzy it is! All I really wanted was a normal (dumb) sliding phone with a qwerty keypad. Anyways, thanks for answering!

I'll remove my calendar, colour note, and calculator and see how my next bill will reflect. Hopefully this is the answer to all my woes. Is there anything else I should remove as well?

Riz
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 10 (164 Views)

Dienstag -

You can use two methods:

• Install APNDroid (Market, free). It turns data on/off;

• Go to Settings >> Wireless Controls >> Mobile networks >> Access point names, select data APN, press <menu> and delete it:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1590/apnb.jpg

(If you want it back, go to Settings >> Wireless Controls >> Mobile networks >> Access point names, press menu and select Reset to default)

Hope this helps.

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10 (164 Views)

Riz escribió:

Dienstag -

You can use two methods:

• Install APNDroid (Market, free). It turns data on/off;

• Go to Settings >> Wireless Controls >> Mobile networks >> Access point names, select data APN, press <menu> and delete it:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1590/apnb.jpg

(If you want it back, go to Settings >> Wireless Controls >> Mobile networks >> Access point names, press menu and select Reset to default)

Hope this helps.

Ok noob question here, how do you get screenshots of your phone?

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 10 (164 Views)

I use Droidexplorer to do this, it has some nifty other tricks also.

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10 (164 Views)

tonymobile01 escribió:

I use Droidexplorer to do this, it has some nifty other tricks also.

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

Ok thanks for your reply, will search for it, cant find it in the market.

What's DOS?
Message 8 of 10 (164 Views)

Is pc software..not phone software. Phone in usb debug mode can do all sorts of tricksSmiley Happy

Regards

Tony

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 10 (164 Views)

Oh my... ok will give a try.

Thanks.

tonymobile01 escribió:

Is pc software..not phone software.  Phone in usb debug mode can do all sorts of tricks:)

Regards

Tony

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

Im downloading it right now

What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10 (164 Views)

I'm having a problem with data roaming. I always have it turned of when I travel. I recently spent two days in Singapore and was receiving, emails sporadically even though data roaming was off. I thought they must be coming via WIFI so I didn't worry about it, then my phone bill came and I was charges $57 for data roaming. Bell Mobility (Canada) said I needed to turn the data off completely in Singapore. I would be happy to do that if I knew how, I would also be happy to turn all the carriers off too, all I ever wanted to do was use the phone for WIFI at hotspots. I knew any calls or data would be a complete rip-off just like everything else in Singapore.

How do I turn off all data, and how do I turn off all roaming including 2G and 3G voice? Thanks.