Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 10 (4,896 Views)

Phone is sending SMS message to 122 by itself

Hello. I recently purchaed a Motorola MB200 and just noticed that the phone is sending SMS messages to number 122 by itself. For every text I am being charged $0.20 and it is getting annyoing since this happens every 5 minutes. I have gone to the settings and did a factory default but this still happens! This leads me to beleive that there is something hidden on the phone that came from the manufacture that is causing this the happen. Can anyone help me trobleshoot this?

Thanks

Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 10 (4,896 Views)

Re: Phone is sending SMS message to 122 by itself

adamskiii

There are apps that are known to do this. Had you installed any apps shortly before this issue started? Can you contact your service provider to block messages specifically to that number?

Mark
Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10 (4,896 Views)

I have the exact same problem.  And I've done two factory resets and erased everything and started from scratch.

My carrier is CellularOne.  The phone is an unlocked T-Mobile Motorola Charm.  As soon as I put my old Motorola SIM in and turn on my phone, it asks me to sign up for Blur which I did. 

Then it goes to the home screen.

Then without adding any apps, it sends a text message to itself (the phone number on the inserted SIM), "Message to 122 Rejected - message id is invalid"

And then it keeps repeating it every five minutes exactly as long as the phone is powered on.  And CellularOne is charging me 30 cents for every text because I have not signed up for unlimited messaging until I can get this phone working.

There is no content in the outbound message that I can see and there isn't anything I can delete or even a way to kill this message.

I called my carrier, but of course they blamed the phone since I did not buy this new phone from them.

Surely someone else besides Adam has seen this and Google hasn't been helpful except to bring me here???

Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 10 (4,896 Views)

I'm guessing this was the result of some malicious app that was inadvertently installed by you or possibly a previous owner. I'll look up your phone , if serial number was provided in the profile to see if there was a previous user.

Mark
Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10 (4,896 Views)

I appreciate that, Mark.  While the box was opened, it does look completely new and I did the factory resets.  It baffles me.

Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 10 (4,896 Views)

@jchwatal

The only other thing I can think of is that it is some USSD code. I tried to look on T-Mobile's website since both of your phones are T-Mobile originated phones. That code may be incompatible with your service provider.

@adamskiii

Your phone appears to be on unofficial software currently 2.0.25 where as 2.1.5 is official. Not sure if you returned the phone or not. I'd ultimately suggest getting a phone that was intended for your service provider.

Mark
Support Forums Manager 
Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10 (4,896 Views)

I think you may be on to somethingn that it is T-Mobile's network but I can't find any more info.  I went to the T-Mobile store and they laughed at me for even asking about their network.

I think I'm out of luck.  But thanks for the help.

Moto Emeritus
Message 8 of 10 (4,896 Views)

@jchwatal

Wow that is surprising. They're typically very helpful. Sorry you had that experience. You may want to hop on the T-Mobile Message boards. They may have some more information about it.

I wonder if there are any voicemail appliations that you could download and reprogram your voicemail to your service providers default. This may assist you.

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 10 (4,896 Views)

Okay, so I exchanged it for a new BRAVO from Amazon, an unlocked ATT new in box, that when I pulled it out, put in a CellularOne SIM card, fired it up and no request to sign into Motoblur like the manual says.  It actually appears to be missing. 

I then set up the wifi which worked fine.

I then went to Settings, Accounts, and I get the error, "The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."

A factory reset didn't help.

Right now, it will dial, but I have to go to Home, then scroll through the Apps to Phone, then select it just to be able to dial.

Have I been suckered with a used phone again?  Or is there something I can do?

--serial number removed-- for privacy

Moto Emeritus
Message 10 of 10 (4,896 Views)

@jchwatal
Would be glad to assist but you need to create a new post in the Bravo community and give it title that makes sense. Reply to this post with the link to that new post and I'll respond.

Mark
Mark
Former Employee