Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobok
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,332
Message 1 of 8

Android 4.0 for the D2G?

As Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) begins spreading to users on other phones and other networks either by updates, ROMs, or being on a phone out of the box, will the Droid 2 Global be left behind?

I'm thinking Verizon and Motorola will opt not to update it. However, with a 1.2 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM I believe this phone is very capable of running ICS. The Nexus S has comparable specs and runs ICS pretty smoothly. I have only had my Droid 2 Global since July 2011 and it would be magnificent to have continued updates that are not simply comprised of bug fixes for 2.3.

If you still have a Droid 2 Global, what are you thoughts on this matter?

Thanks,
Hobok

tommino
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 8

Re: Android 4.0 for the D2G?

I think that you can look somewhere else, many roms based on ICS are available right now for D2G...

The only problem might be that they're running on GB kernel

Hobok
Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 8

tommino,

Are you running such a ROM? I would prefer not to void my warranty and I was curious if the community wanted an official update from Motorola and Verizon. It seems for an official update to happen, there needs to be a good amount of people who still have and use a Droid 2 Global. Demand might not be high enough for an official update.

At this point I suppose I would be happier if my LTE Xoom was updated to ICS... That's another topic for another thread though. Smiley Happy

tommino said:

I think that you can look somewhere else, many roms based on ICS are available right now for D2G...

The only problem might be that they're running on GB kernel

tommino
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 8

I'm not, I'm waiting a version with stable camera, all the rest is working

My warranty already expired 2 months ago

Moto&Verizon had given us clear signs: D2G has been a problem for them from the beginning, look at previous updates.

Also they're not even hearing at our requirements, this is clearly shown by last update: no more root and no unlocked bootloader on the what-supposed-to-be last update for D2G.

Would I prefer official ICS from Moto? Of course, yes

But sincer Moto is completely ignoring us (despite who hoped that becaming Moto Mobility under Google things would have changed), I prefer looking somewhere else. There's an official page on devices that will receive ICS:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

D2G is not part of even "Evaluation & Planning" Phase, does this suggest you anything? Droid 3 and even Droid 4 are still under evaluation...

D2G is EOL, the only gift Moto can give us is:

• unlocked bootloader

• unlocked GSM radio

Nothing else

Hobok
Blue Screen Again
Message 5 of 8

You're right. I was just hoping for Motorola to throw us a bone. I doubt we will even get an unlocked bootloader. I do believe Verizon will unlock the GSM radio for you though, if you call their "Global" department. That is, unless you meant "unlock" for use on T-Mobile or AT&T, which I know Motorola/Verizon would not do.

Anyways, I believe the time has come to void my D2G's warranty. The ear piece issue (not being loud enough) has finally pushed me towards this. It's almost summer the the RAZR still does not have ICS so I guess there isn't much hope for it to come to our phones officially.

tommino
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 8

that's the point Smiley Happy

Moto confirmed with its behavior that sucks in delivering SW updates, thing that all other producers are focused on

I referred to unlocking GSM bands for other carriers in the US: also this can be fixed searching through the internet

Still hope that becoming Google Mobility will change something in this

nishant4
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 8

I've been mad in love with the D2G since I bought it back in 2010 when it was launched. It was buggy then and its buggy still even after updates (and the shoved in useless Verizon apps are of no use either). Motorola have shown they're incompetent at making software work and at the rate they're goin with (the mess they've made of the RAZR) they don't stand a chance against Apple and more importantly Samsung. I was hoping that an ICS upgrade would make things brighter, but Verizon and Moto seem to be not listening at all. I became a fan of Motorola with this phone but their (or Verizon's, depends which way you look at it) after sales services have been poor. I'm gonna buy the Galaxy S3 when it comes out, with a carrier that doesn't force its users to keep apps they don't want on their phones like Verizon does. It's a poor user experience over all I've had with this phone. They phone itself is very capable, Verizon and Moto updates disappoint me. Hopefully others will who own this phone will agree too 

Hobok
Blue Screen Again
Message 8 of 8

Today it was officially made known the Droid 2 Global will not be receiving ICS. Even the Droid 3 and Droid X2 aren't getting it.

What does that say about carriers and OEMs following through on their agreement to upgrade devices within 18 months of release? Yes the D2G is at the 18 month mark now but what about those other two phones?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/google-partners-with-oems-and-carriers-to-guarantee-android-upda/
Like tommino said, all we can really ask for now is an unlocked bootloader so we can do what WE want with OUR phones.