Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 Global by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

Battery Life Worse Than Original Droid

2011-06-09, 1:11 AM

I recently upgraded to the D2G from the original Moto Droid and expected the phone to be much snappier. Even with a faster processor, I don't notice any real performance increases and worse, the battery life is terrible! I used to easily get 10-12 hours of battery life with my Droid; I barely make it through 8 hours with my D2G. I run all the same apps and my usage hasn't changed at all. I've turned off GPS (which I used to have always on with the Droid), WiFi, and Bluetooth and tried apps like JuiceDefender and still get poor battery life. Anyone have any other suggestions? At this point I can only think that Blur is to blame and I'm really tempted to return the phone and get something else.

Options

22 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Battery Life Worse Than Original Droid

2011-06-09, 1:11 AM

I recently upgraded to the D2G from the original Moto Droid and expected the phone to be much snappier. Even with a faster processor, I don't notice any real performance increases and worse, the battery life is terrible! I used to easily get 10-12 hours of battery life with my Droid; I barely make it through 8 hours with my D2G. I run all the same apps and my usage hasn't changed at all. I've turned off GPS (which I used to have always on with the Droid), WiFi, and Bluetooth and tried apps like JuiceDefender and still get poor battery life. Anyone have any other suggestions? At this point I can only think that Blur is to blame and I'm really tempted to return the phone and get something else.

Options

22 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2011-06-09, 4:29 AM

I used LauncherPro on my D1 and have recently started using it on my D2G. With LauncherPro I cut the number of homescreens to 3 with 2 docks and I still haven't noticed any change in battery life. Checking the usage statistics in battery manager doesn't show anything in particular that would be eating my battery that I didn't have running on my D1. As expected the display is the biggest battery drain, but considering the D1 and D2G use the same screen there shouldn't be any difference with how much it affects the battery. The only widgets I have running are the stock Calendar and Sticky Note and the 4 toggle switches for WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and Airplane Mode.

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2011-06-09, 15:17 PM

Well. I can't deny that it seems you should be getting better use than you are.  One other app I have installed is called "SeePU" (there are free and paid versions).  This one puts a graphic on the notification bar that you can set to show real time CPU usage as well as RAM in a sort of (very small) colored bar graph.  The reason I use it is so I can see when the processor is being hit hard, which translates to increased power use.  And, it helps explain when I see lags or irratic behavior (and I then wait until the processor is available before making more demands).  If something is continously hitting the processor and contributing to battery drain, it might alert you.  For example, there had been a few times where the weather app I had used would hang on update, causing a big processor hit (visible on the graphic) and battery drain.  I no longer have that problem (I changed weather apps), but I still monitor the CPU whenever the phone is awake. - MarkC

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms