Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheDroid
What's DOS?
Views: 5,330
Message 1 of 10

Best upgrade possible

Hi,

I bought my phone just this week on Ebay. Although it's locked on Verizon, I use it with Page Plus. It has the gingerbread 2.3.4 with the .629 system upgrade which is, I think, pretty much outdated. Is it possible to upgrade it to IceCream or at least to Gingerbread 2.3.6 which I believe is the best version of the G upgrades?

I'm a new Android user, I love it, am very excited about it but just don't know much.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 10

Re: Best upgrade possible

To clarify, when you say it's locked on Verizon, do you mean that Verizon will not activate the phone?  If that's the case, generally that means the phone has been reported lost or stolen or the previous owner did not pay their Verizon account.  If you mean the phone is locked to the carrier Verizon that is another matter.   Depending upon your response, we can proceed perhaps with a process.    --- Dan

TheDroid
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

The phone activates and works perfectly so it doesn't have a bad ESN (if I've done my homework, I believe that how it is said). The phone is actually carrier locked. Technically, my carrier is Page Plus but they must have a partnership with Verizon.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 10

TheDroid said:

The phone activates and works perfectly so it doesn't have a bad ESN (if I've done my homework, I believe that how it is said). The phone is actually carrier locked. Technically, my carrier is Page Plus but they must have a partnership with Verizon.

View original

Thanks for the fast response and feed back.  I've never heard of Page Plus but if your phone works on their network they must be leasing service from Verizon (that's my theory, at any rate).   Have you tried to update your phone's firmware from the menu > settings > about phone > system updates?  If so and there are no updates available you are on the most current OS.  There are no means that can be discussed on this forum about changing your OS that would not violate the Motorola Forum House Rules.   According to the most recent information I have listed here, the highest supported OS version for your phone is Gingerbread 2.3   --- Dan

TheDroid
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

I have the 2.3.4 with the .629 so I guess it is the best I can get. That sucks but it alright because Android rules no matter its version Smiley Happy

Thank you very much

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 10

TheDroid said:

I have the 2.3.4 with the .629 so I guess it is the best I can get. That sucks but it alright because Android rules no matter its version Smiley Happy

Thank you very much

View original

You are most welcome, I'm happy I could assist.  I agree our Motorola Android phones are great and have the best build quality of all the manufacturers out there.  smiley   --- Dan

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 7 of 10

TheDroid said:

View original

I'm going to do some more research on Page Plus, may I ask what State you live in to get this carrier's service?   --- Dan

TheDroid
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 10

Sure. I'm in Nebraska, Lincoln. And PP works great on the Verizon Network, has good deals and is without contract, so no stress

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 9 of 10

TheDroid said:

Sure. I'm in Nebraska, Lincoln. And PP works great on the Verizon Network, has good deals and is without contract, so no stress

View original

Thank you for the fast response and the additonal information.  The "without contract" is nice, something that I wish more of the major carriers would implement on a much wider basis, instead of having to purchase one of their phones for the full retail price to get that "feature".    --- Dan

TheDroid
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10

Being free from contract is pretty neat, as you stay in control of your mobile charges. Downside is that good phones don't come cheap.