Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phatbowler
What's DOS?
Views: 2,251
Message 1 of 4

D2G touch screen goes haywire when plugged in computer usb

I am hoping that this is just me.  When I plug my D2G phone into my laptop's usb, it charges just fine, but when I go to use it when plugged in, the screen intermittently doesn't recognize my finger sliding to unlock my phone.  After several frustrating tries (if I am lucky), I actually get to my home screen, I push on an on-home application and it does nothing.  If I press it the second time, it might do it, or it might think that I pressing somewhere completely different.  On occasion, the screen starts jumping from one screen to the next, opening any app it chooses (like my phone was possessed).

I do have a theory why it is doing this: could it be because there is not enough energy being supplied through the usb to charge my phone and use it at the same time, which would cause it to drag and be unresponsive, then after multiple "touches" it just gets overwhelmed?

If it is just my phone, I would like to know so I can get a replacement before my warranty expires from the manufacturer.  Also if you need more information or clarification, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan

sdcajack
Token Ring
Message 2 of 4

Re: D2G touch screen goes haywire when plugged in computer usb

This is widely reported behavior when using inferior USB cables. Are you using the "Ecomoto" cable Motorola provided with your phone? If not, this is likely easily fixed by replacing your USB cable with an OEM Motorola cable designed for the Droid.

If you're using the Motorola cable and having this problem, it's likely your laptop and/or power supply are the problem. It seems the Droid's screen is particularly sensitive to electrical interference from a poorly grounded power source. Fixing this may be simple as finding a different AC outlet (preferably properly grounded) for your laptop charger... or you may just have to find another way to charge your Droid.

phatbowler
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

well this would make sense.  I am using the Economoto, but it happens in some one pc and my laptop that I know of.  However when I use it at my computer at work that has a new power supply put in recently, I plug into the back usb and it works fine.  No matter where my laptop is plugged in, it still goes haywire.  I am that not all usb ports give out the same amount of power.  Thank you for the suggestion.

DoctorPeter
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

I get the same problem when trying to use my Droid while it is connected to a charger. It happens with all chargers, and it has happened with all my Droids, which have been replaced for other problems several times. When you call Verizon you are invariably told no one else has ever reported this.