Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wxkeith
What's DOS?
Views: 2,246
Message 1 of 4

Data roaming problems with GB

Hi,

Is anyone having problems with the data roaming setting sticking in Gingerbread?  I do a lot of travling to areas in the northeast US that don't have native Verizon coverage, but for some reason data won't work unless I turn on the "Data Roaming" option under Settings > Battery & data manager > Data delivery.  This was all well and good under Froyo, but it appears that under GB, this setting keeps resetting itself when I pass between native Verizon coverage and third-party carrier coverage.  So if I'm somewhere with spotty coverage, I could end up having to flip this setting back on over a dozen times in a short period of time.

I've tried a battery pull, clearing the cache, and updating the PRL without success.  It doesn't seem to matter if the phone is in Global or CDMA-only mode, either.  The only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset, so I'll probably do that next.  I did notice that there were some Droid 3 folks having a similar problem (

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/426916).  Also, on the most recent trip where I encountered this, the person with me had an iPhone 4S with data roaming *off* and their phone was connecting to the partner networks when mine wasn't.  Weird?

- Keith

mariongiant
Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Data roaming problems with GB

I travel through a roaming area a few times a month.  When I exit 3G coverage, the phone beeps and displays a message something like, "You are entering international roaming area; extra charges may apply."  It gives me two buttons, one to turn off data roaming, the other to leave it on.  I pick the second, the phone switches to 1X, and everything works.  I also get a red warning icon in the notification tray.   When I get back to 3G coverage, the icon disappears.  I've also noticed that the data roaming option under data delivery, which I've usually left on, gets turned off when 3G resumes.

I have no idea why it says "international roaming" when I'm driving through central Indiana.  I don't get charged for international rates.  Sometimes I get the warning message two or three times, but it's always as I enter the 1X area.  I've attributed that to the phone picking up various cell towers.

mrmegadeth
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Had the same while visiting the in-laws in Wisconsin. Was very annoying. Plus, the "roaming" caused the battery to drain in about 30 minutes. Funny thing was there is Verizon in that area and I had full signal.

wxkeith
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

I've done two factory resets since I first started this thread.  Neither solved the issue where "Data Roaming" disables itself on me.  I tend to do a lot of traveling to areas where this bug is tickled.  Is there any hope of a fix at any point or is this phone considered EOL'd at this point?

Much appreciated,

Keith