Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 Global by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

03-17-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 22

How do I remove the pre-installed Verizon Apps?

2011-03-17, 19:10 PM

Here is a list of the applications I would like to remove:

Blockbuster

City ID

DLNA

Latitude

Media Share

My Verizon Mobile

News

News and Weather

Skype Mobile

QuickOffice

VZ Navigator

Voicemail

VPN Client

And also the 2 locked bookmarks in the browser for Verizon Wireless and the Google home page.

How do one remove all this clutter that will never be used? Thanks.

Options

540 Posts

12-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 22

Re: How do I remove the pre-installed Verizon Apps?

2011-03-17, 19:25 PM

Unfortunately as many will tell you,  it cannot be removed, we've been asking for months. The only way, and this is not advocated by me, this forum, Motorola, or Verizon as it will void your warranty, is to root, which of course is not permitted. Its annoying I know and have asked why a compromise of whenever the trial date of these apps are over then why not give us the option to keep or remove the apps but I haven't heard back as far as that's concerned. Best that you can do is hide the apps so they're not a constant reminder with a home replacement that has that option.

Options

7 Posts

03-17-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 22

2011-03-17, 19:28 PM

I'm looking for tool that can at least hide them. Do you know any?

Options

261 Posts

12-22-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 22

2011-03-17, 19:33 PM

Not without rooting the device.  If you're not adverse to rooting the device, Titanium Backup will "freeze" them.

There've been reports that you can remove them, but if you do, you won't be able to install updates that may be released.  So freezing them is your best bet.

Options

540 Posts

12-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 22

2011-03-17, 19:35 PM

Okay, one of the easiest ones that I use is 91pandahome or 91pandahome2 which is free on the android market. After you've installed this app and go to settings of this home replacement is to look at the option of icon hide or hide icons and you'll be able to select the apps you wish to hide. After you have hidden them either press the home button or back button to get back to your home screen and those icons should be hidden. I hope this helps.

Options

540 Posts

12-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 22

2011-03-17, 19:45 PM

Of course there are other app home replacements that you have to pay for, but be sure to read the permissions and also check to see in the description of the other apps that they will hide icons. As far as freezing, the only way you can freeze an app is to root, no other way around it and dont recommend it. Just stick to the basics if you are new to smartphones, particularly android devices. The task manager app is useful in auto ending apps that you dont use but be careful in what you end if you choose to as it may affect the performance, so if you do stick to apps that are clearly defined or appear in the app drawer. And please dont download or use any task killers unless you know what you're doing as they can really mess with the performance of your device.

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 22

2011-03-17, 22:37 PM

While I agree that a Home replacement app may contain a function to hide apps from the app drawer, if you're not unhappy wih the native Home then using a replacement is a lot of overhead just to hide apps.  The replacement likely won't support the MotoBlur widgets or functions, if there are any you use or like.  In this case, I'd just ignor the apps in the drawer you don't plan to use.  That being said, I use Launcher Pro (paid) and like it, but I'm not a MotoBlur user and I don't use the app hiding feature that Launcher Pro has. - MarkC

Options

540 Posts

12-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 22

2011-03-17, 23:11 PM

That may be true but the OP wants a way to hide the apps which was the main concern and pandahome is one of the few home replacements with themes that actually do support Motoblur widgets and functions, but that's my personal experience, and I was merely addressing what the original poster was looking for.

Options

7 Posts

03-17-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 22

2011-03-17, 23:34 PM

I'll try Launcher Pro maybe. If I don't like it, I'll root it. Ugh.

Regarding the advice to simply ignore the clutter of unwanted apps in my app drawer. I should hope any Verizon / Motorola people reading this would not fool themselves into thinking this is a reasonable reponse to their users.

If it was so easy to ignore the apps, I wouldn't want to remove them, would I?

It's very anti-user to force apps on users. Pre-install, fine. Prevent users from deleting things they hate, evil.

What exactly is the theory in operation here? is it:

(a) "After the first sixth months of willfully ignoring our apps, he'll suddenly change his mind and try them!"

(b) "How dare he ignore our apps! We shall extract revenge by making them permanent!"

or (c) "Jello is good. Pass the jello."

Dear Verizon: stop being evil. Let us delete your clutter-aware. Go back, renegotiate your silly bundleware agreements with apps providers, and let us get rid of these junk apps.

Options

23 Posts

03-16-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 22

2011-03-18, 5:33 AM

I just renamed mine and then moved them to the SD card. That way they won't open and I can just add .apk to the name again if I need it to be factory fresh.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms