Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 Global by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

08-12-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 11

I'm about to call it quits!!

2011-05-31, 18:01 PM

I am on my 4th Droid.  The last two being Global. I have spent more time and money trying to get this phone right than I have with any other phone I have ever had. The funny part is I want it to work so bad!!!  The battery charge issue is huge for me.  Between yesterday afternoon and today so far I have had to charge it three times!  That is absolutely crazy.  I have tried everything I could find on the internet and on this site as well to minimize battery use.  Nothing seems to help.  Not even a new battery which I have also tried.

I am giving this phone, Motorola, Verizon and Android one more shot in that I will try and wait for the new update.  It's really a shame that with the Android phones we spend more time trying to get them to run right than Motorola or Google does. Sure I enjoy all the little perks of the phones.  However, I am not a gamer nor do I waste my time just playing around with the phone....unless it's to try and get more battery power out of it. Battery Managers don't work.  They are a waste of time.  I know there are problems with all things of this nature but it really has become ridiculous.

Just needed to vent...I am about over all the Android hype. It's becoming not what it was cracked up to be. Maybe I should go back to my old Motorola Star Tak.  Or better yet my bag phone.  At least they worked.

Thanks

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: I'm about to call it quits!!

2011-05-31, 22:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues and you're certainly welcome to vent here.  In fairness, though the battery life problem has been experienced by many, not everyone has been affected.  And, my opinion is that Android is every bit as good as the hype, though implentation of the latest versions by vendors has lagged greatly.

I'm curious, are you using the native Launcher?  Are you using any of the Motoblur social networking widgets?  Do you have any real-time apps that update themselves or widgets continuously such as those used for weather or news?  I just ask because I use an alternate launcher (GO Launcher EX) and as such, some (but not all) of the Motoblur processes don't run.  I also don't have any of the social widgets going, though I do have a couple of real time apps running that update widgets (CNN, CBS News, SI).  I have three Gmail accounts that sync automatically and an app called TouchDown that syncs my work (Exchange) mail.  Since I got the phone, I consistenly run it 16 hours a day and have 40% of the battery left when I shut it off at night.  (I can run it lower with heavy screen use.)  One of my co-workers has a Global and gets battery life near what I do, though he's a more active user. 

One thing you might try if you're curious.  Install an app from the market called SeePU (There's a free version) and configure the notifier to display both CPU and memory usage.  It gives you a sliding bar icon that moves up and down with CPU and memory usage.  With this icon in the notification bar, you can easily see if the processor is being hit hard and it might give some insights into the problem.  I once did something while the phone was connected to my PC (like change the USB setting to "Charge Only" from "Mass Storage or vice versa) that froze up some process and kept the CPU maxed.  This caused the battery to drain quickly and the phone to get hot.  I had to go into running services and kill them off one at a time until I could see the processor wasn't getting hit hard anymore.  I then powered off the phone, removed the battery and started over.  That's the only time I've had a power anomoly. - MarkC

Options

107 Posts

12-23-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2011-05-31, 23:37 PM

Have you installed any of the apps from the companies mentioned in this article?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43228750/ns/technology_and_science-security/

Malware could very well be the cause of your problems (and the reason why the problem is not universal).

I keep very close track of all my installed apps, and uninstall most of them that I seldom use.

Options

19 Posts

08-12-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2011-06-01, 0:56 AM

No, I'm not using any of the ones listed.  I'm not a huge app guy.  Thanks for the info

Options

19 Posts

08-12-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2011-06-01, 2:17 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.  I am using the standard launcher that is on the phone. I am not using any widgets.  No real-time apps that I know of anyway. The only social app I have running is Twitter. Two gmail accounts and corporate sync for work email. I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

Options

127 Posts

02-14-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2011-06-01, 16:13 PM

One of the tweaks I've done is to turn off any kind of "background updating" or notifications on apps like Twitter, Facebook, etc. I just do manual pulls on those. The Gmail and Corp Sync accounts shouldn't be killing the battery too much (unless you're getting 20 emails every 5 minutes, I could see that killing the battery a bit). I have one Gmail and two Exchange accounts but

Definitely try a new launcher - I prefer Launcher Pro myself, but GO Launcher will do the job as well. Seems like there are some screwy problems with the version of Blur that came with the D2G that kill it.

In comparison, my girlfriend has the D2, runs all of those Blur newsfeed widgets and Launcher Pro, but manages to get a full day out of her phone...with Facebook chatting, texting, emails, picture taking, making calls, etc. And she gets better reception than I do, when the phones are sitting right next to each other.

Just makes me believe the D2G was rushed out the door without being more finely tuned is all. Hopefully the next update comes out soon and is a little more tested...

Options

69 Posts

12-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2011-06-01, 18:37 PM

It literally makes me sick to my stomach when I think about this issue. I don't even own the phone but I've been attempting to help a relative that has one.

Here are two things that may help a bit.

bug #1:

After boot it is helpful to turn on airplane mode, put  phone to sleep (shut off screen) for one minute, wake phone, and turn  off airplane mode.

bug #2:

After  unplugging from the charger, sometimes the screen appears to be off but  if you check the edge you can see that the backlight is still on.  Solution, turn on screen.

Options

261 Posts

12-22-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2011-06-06, 12:12 PM

Android isn't the issue, at least not with non-Motorola phones.

That said, the DROID 2 Global is a buggy phone.  Although I still have mine, I had to ditch using it and bought an HTC DROID Incredible 2.  That phone has been a solid phone so far, and most importantly, reliable.

Motorola has seriously screwed up by not getting fixes out for these issues.  Well over six months since many of these issues have been reported, yet not a peep other than that they are supposedly working on fixes on them.

Options

69 Posts

12-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2011-06-07, 0:37 AM
Motorola has seriously screwed up

The person I'm helping with the DROID 2 Global calls it "the phone from Hell."

I tell her that my Droid 1 was kind of a phone from hell when it came out too. Each update brought it closer to wonderful.

Then I start second guessing myself. The latest update to the Droid 1 slowed the home screen launcher to a crawl. It's ridiculous and if it weren't for some decent launcher replacement apps, I'd have chucked the Droid 1 against a wall in frustration long ago.

Now I'm reading about the Droid 3 and apparently it has Blur!?!? Huh? It's like they want to lose customers.

Options

19 Posts

08-12-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2011-06-07, 0:42 AM

I was just reading and watching about the Droid 3. Seriously...I'm wanting to find my old Star Tak. It seems that technology isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's very apparant that neither Motorola or Verizon care about their customers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms