Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
droidareeno
What's DOS?
Views: 4,613
Message 1 of 22

Lost Photos

Recently installed sd card in D2G.  Now, only photos to be found are those taken AFTER the install.  Photos attached to contacts are still there but don't know where they are.  Can anybody give me a path name to find photos stored in phone memory?  Is there a way to force the camera/gallery to store photos where I want them stored instead of where motorola and google want them stored?  It seems that the longer I use this phone the more disappointed I become with it.

gasaiyuno
Token Ring
Message 2 of 22

Re: Lost Photos

You can only store photos on the SD card, under DCIM. That's a standard used by all digital photo cameras. My 2003-made Olympus C-350Z camera also uses DCIM.

Without an SD card, you can't store photos.

Photos attached to contacts are different; they're stored in the contacts storage, which is in /data, and you cannot directly access it.

droidareeno
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 22

Incorrect, gasaiyuno. Gallery stored hundreds of photos somewhere in the phone's internal memory long before I installed the sd card.

Any help would be appreciated.

gasaiyuno
Token Ring
Message 4 of 22

I've just tried taking photos without the SD card unmounted (i.e. as good as not installed).

All I get from the camera app is “Please insert SD card before using the camera”.

Same message when I attempt to take a photo for a contact's picture.

Were you using some third-party camera app?

droidareeno
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 22

Using camera app that came w/ D2G.  I guess this is what I get for using a phone for a camera.  When original Droid's screen siezed up and had to be replaced, the tech at verizon store was able to transfer all old photos to D2G replacement without an sd card.  Could they be stored on sim?

silver6054
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 22

droidareeno wrote:

Using camera app that came w/ D2G.  I guess this is what I get for using a phone for a camera.  When original Droid's screen siezed up and had to be replaced, the tech at verizon store was able to transfer all old photos to D2G replacement without an sd card.  Could they be stored on sim?

Interesting.  If you look at the online manual,

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile%20Phones/Droid-2-Global/US-EN/Documents/Sta...

Page 28 states:

Note: Photos are stored on your microSD memory card.

gasaiyuno
Token Ring
Message 7 of 22

droidareeno wrote:

No. UICC have very limited amount of storage available.

The tech probably moved the photos somewhere inside /data. Normally you aren't able to browse that folder, but you can access it with ADB's shell, for example.

Do the old photos reappear in the Gallery if you remove the SD card?

There are ADB-compatible clients for Windows that let you browse the phone's file system and copy files from it.

gasaiyuno
Token Ring
Message 8 of 22

...Okay, I think I understand what actually happened, or at least this looks like the possible explanation. And it might explain why camera worked for you.

The tech probably didn't notice that the SD card isn't present, and used ADB or something like that to copy the files straight to your new phone's /mnt/sdcard folder.

This means that there are files under /sdcard/DCIM in the phone's flash memory.

However, when you insert an SD card, it gets mounted to that same folder, /sdcard; once it's mounted, the only content visible under /sdcard is the SD card contents.

If I am right, then there are 2 approaches:

1) (If the photos are available again when you remove the SD card,) you can use Gallery's Share feature to move them somewhere else (f.ex. email them, upload to Picasa, whatever). You can also install an application that lets you share via Windows peer-to-peer LAN. And then remove them from the phone once you've confirmed they're safe.

2) (Requires *NIX shell knowledge) Use ADB when the SD card is not present, move the contents of /sdcard to somewhere in /data, install SD card, move the content from /data to /sdcard.

3) Using an ADB file manager client while the SD card is not present, move the photos from /sdcard to your PC.

droidareeno
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 22

I have no earthly idea what *NIX or ADB are.

Old photos do NOT appear in Gallery when sd card is removed.

Online manual can say anything it likes.  I'm tellin' you the damn thing stored photos WITHOUT an sd card.

gasaiyuno
Token Ring
Message 10 of 22

I explained how exactly it stored photos in its memory once already. Not going to bother explaining twice.

Since you don't care about Android Debug Bridge, your only choice would be to consult tech support, either VZW or Motorola's.

Preferably that smartass tech who did this to your D2G.

You will not be able to get the photos by yourself. It's impossible, considering you don't want to bother with anything like ADB or user friendly ADB file managers.

Oh, and any factory resets would erase everything stored in the phone's own flash memory.