Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 Global by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

03-07-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

Moving shortcuts to Home screen?

2011-05-23, 0:38 AM

I have loaded some company PDF and HTML reference files to the SD card, in a folder I call StationGuides.  I have created shortcuts to them in the same folder as the PDF file and the index.html.  I cannot figure out how to drag or copy those shortcuts to the Home screen for quicker access.  Anyone?

Options

7 Posts

05-23-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Moving shortcuts to Home screen?

2011-05-23, 15:31 PM

It is possible, but your phone doesn't come with an application capable of doing that.  To do this, we will need a 3rd party application named "Astro".  It is a free file managing tool, powerful and useful.

To create your shortcut to the home screens, using Astro, do the following:

1.  Long press on the screen where you want to put the shortcut.  This will bring up a menu.  Select "shortcuts".

2.  This will bring up another menu, select "ASTRO".

3.  This opens Astro in a "window" of sorts, navigate to the file you wish to place on the home screen.

4.  Select the file.  It will ask you what you want to name the shortcut.  If you don't want to change the name, hit OK.

5.  Enjoy your fantastic new shortcut on your home screen.

6.  Rinse, repeat as necessary.

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Moving shortcuts to Home screen?

2011-05-23, 17:54 PM

You know, I've been a staunch supporter of Androzip as a file manager since the original Droid was introduced over a year and a half ago.  But, it doesn't have this feature.  (Neither does the native app, "Files".)  Astro File Manager makes creating a home screen shortcut to any file a snap.  There are also a couple of great add-ons to Astro as well.  I've seen the light and I'm now a convert.  - MarkC

Thank you, 9orangeletters, for the tip. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms