Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdj00000
What's DOS?
Views: 5,626
Message 1 of 9

Phone Freeze while composing text/email

Just recently, on my Droid 2 Global, whenever I am composing a text or an email, if I use certain puntuation (usualy a question mark, excaimation mark or comma) the screen will freeze and I have to restart the phone.  It has become quite annoying.  Happens with either built in or third party text/email apps.

Is anyone else having this problem?

shelley_n
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phone Freeze while composing text/email

My Droid2 Global began doing the same thing yesterday. Friday the 13th, oddly enough. Smiley Happy  It happens with me when I type the space bar or enter key to move to the next line in an email, text, or Facebook message.  I've tried restarting and resetting the battery, but neither has helped. I checked and I have the latest Droid2 update.  I also get an error message with mine that says:
"Sorry! Activity Gmail (in application Gmail) is not responding." Then I'm given the option to Foreclose, Wait or Report. I managed to get one report sent, but it's difficult when the touchpad and keyboard are both nonresponsive!  I also updated my Google Mail app. and restarted, but the problem still persists.

I hope there is a solution available, I really don't want to have to factory reset my phone.  This is the first problem I've had with the Droid2 so far.

vetehead
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

Had the same problem a few months back! 2 ways to fix 1,go to settings,language and keyboards,multi-touch keyboard,scroll down to next word prediction and un check......2,settings,applications,manage apps,all,scroll to multitouch keyboard,clear data both will work.You could could even turn next word prediction back on but eventually the keyboard will lock up again!

Hope this helps!

Ron SciaraCool

TJConnery
Token Ring
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for posting this Ron. All of a sudden I started having FC issues most every time I used the keyboard (touch & slide out).

Turning off next word prediction fixed it. Thanks!

I think it is odd that all of a sudden I started having issues. I could have sworn it was the last FaceBook update that was causing the issue.

Good tip!

Gunger
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9

I have been experiencing this as well. My phone was fine up until there was an update. I took phone back to Verizon and they shut off a feature. Phone worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then my texting/composing an e-mail started freezing again. My husband went back to Verizon and they told him he needed to do a system reset. He did and phone worked ok for about a month. Then it started freezing again. I went back to Verizon and at that point they said it was the phone and they sent me a replacement. Replacement has been working fine up until today.I've had it maybe 4 weeks. I have tried shutting of the next word feature,(since there was a step by step post) but I am skeptical as to how long it will work. It didn't seem to work last time.

fonhomd2g
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9

A few days ago I began experiencing "force close" repeatedly when typing Twitter messages. (Much worse than the "force close" I experience regularly on browser. I just restart the browser a couple of times and on we go.) Thought it was a Twitter problem, installed another client but problem persisted. This "force close" freezes the phone - calls aren't received, can't navigate to settings or anywhere else. I've powered off & back on, pulled the battery, and even deleted all browser data (including cache, history, passwords and bookmarks.) Phone starts again but problem recurs. Oddly (to me!) my frozen phone works just fine sending a report at "force close."

Planned to call VZW before resetting phone, but really didn't want to do either.

I was sending a text today when I got a force close. I realized that like the Twitter freezes, this occurred about 2 lines or 70 characters in. I gather that's a limit in some character sets but shouldn't be relevant on an English language keyboard. BTW I almost always use the physical keyboard and do not allow predictive text. I tested composing another text and it stopped at about 68 characters left. Close enough.

Don't know if this is a recurring problem since Google had nothing on point. However, I tried the suggestion from vetehead to:

settings,applications,manage apps,all,scroll to multitouch keyboard,clear data

Worked! At least for the moment. Why, I don't know, since I rarely use multitouch. But if I wanted things to make sense I never would have been able to hook up a VCR. Or use Windows after DOS. Smiley Happy

Sraptis15
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9

vetehead said:

Had the same problem a few months back! 2 ways to fix 1,go to settings,language and keyboards,multi-touch keyboard,scroll down to next word prediction and un check......2,settings,applications,manage apps,all,scroll to multitouch keyboard,clear data both will work.You could could even turn next word prediction back on but eventually the keyboard will lock up again!

Hope this helps!

Ron Sciara Cool

Thanks! It fixed it for me now!

mattonbass
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

what vetehead "Ron SciaraCool" said.

Ron, I can't thank you enough for putting my mind at ease.  My Motorola XPRT began crashing every app that required using the keyboard with the "Sorry! Activity..." Force Quit or Wait window, and after thinking I would have to reset or replace my beloved device, I stumbled upon your post.  It worked like a charm.  Thank you!

appleskruff
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9

vetehead said:

Hope this helps!

Ron SciaraCool

View original

Thanks so muchhis was the only place I found the fix!