Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bishopw
What's DOS?
Views: 5,804
Message 1 of 11

Phone hot, battery life 1.5 hr after 4.5.608.A956 upgrade

Just upgraded software by push this am.  Since then, phone becomes red hot and uses up battery quickly.  WiFi off.  Help!

internationaler
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 11

Re: Phone hot, battery life 1.5 hr after 4.5.608.A956 upgrade

I'd like to report a similar experience.  Since the upgrade, my phone gets hot, battery life is not as good AND it does not appear to be charging at night when on.  In fact, I will experience this problem intermittenly during daytime charging as well.  I will plug it in as usual.  The charging symbol is on, wifi and bluetooth off.  If it says 30% at night for example, in the morning, it still says 30%.  It doesn't appear to increase or decrease the charge over time.  The top half of the phone is even hotter than normal after charging at night.  It's almost as if some running process is using up phone battery as fast as it is charging.  If I turn the phone off and charge it, it will charge normally to 100% and stay there.  I have checked the running apps, and there is nothing listed there that is unusual (i.e. system tool or function or widget that I have been using since I got the phone in January).

I was one who received the gingerbread upgrade before it was cut off due to email issues, so this upgrade was my second in the last two months.  I did not experience these problems after the first upgrade.

christainpreach
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 11

I'm seeing a similar issue. The absolute worst part for me is, I'm using an extended battery. The life has been cut by at least a third. I also had the 607 update initially. I actually did a factory reset with the 607 and then got 608 a few days later.

EDIT: I'm also noticing a loss in signal strength. Not sure if its related, but I know of no other connection.

Motorola Employee
Motorola Employee
Message 4 of 11

Do you happen to have "Advanced Task Killer" installed on your phone?  If yes, please uninstall it.  That has been known to kill persistent applications.  When those apps are killed they will automatically reboot, then task killer will kill them again and the process goes on and on which consumes all processor resources in turn making the phone sluggish and hot.

If you do not have any task killer apps, please send the list of other 3rd party apps you have installed.

snwbrdr
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 11

I had a similar issue when I upgraded. I uninstalled all 3rd party apps and the problem still persisted, so I finally just did a factory data reset (a huge pain, I know) but since then my phone hasn't had any battery or heating issues. It might be worth a shot as a last resort.

Motorola Employee
Motorola Employee
Message 6 of 11

snwbrdr,

Its good to know that fixed your problem.  For others out there that have this "hot phone" experience and possibly seeing many ANR messages (Application Not Responding)... especially when in text messaging or email, it is possible that a database may have been corrupted on your phone.  You can reinitialize the database by following these steps. 

1) Setttings -> Language and KB -> multi-touch kb -> clear learned words

2) If step one didn't work, you can always try Factory Data Reset

bobf4
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 11

I, too, have the same issue with the phone getting very hot to the touch, and battery life going in the tank.  I have restored the phone to factory settings, and that has had no effect on the heating/battery issues at all.

I used to run Advanced Task Killer, but when I've restored the phone to facroty, I haven't put it back on. The only thing even remotely close to ADK I have on my phone now is Juice Defender Plus.  I put THAT on to attempt to resolve the heating issues; again, with no success.  I can drive from home to work (a 20 minute drive), and the battery can go from 70-80% charged to 15% that quickly.

JIMV1
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 11

My wife has the same problem on her phone...I would remove all the junk apps if I could but we mere owners of the phone are not allowed to do that.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 9 of 11

JIMV said:

My wife has the same problem on her phone...I would remove all the junk apps if I could but we mere owners of the phone are not allowed to do that.

View original

If you have a very diminished battery life on your spouse's phone, I don't think it's the factory installed "bloatware" that is the source of the problem.  I'm assuming that she has a good signal on her phone.  Try putting her phone into safe mode for a sufficiently long enough period of time to see if the battery life improves, if so, there is/are third party applications that are the source of the problem.  In safe mode, third party applications will not run, so please be aware of that in the testing process.     --- Dan

JIMV1
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 11

Thank you so mch for the response BUT, we found the fix on another forum where I also asked the question. Someone there recommended we try going into wireless and networks. From there shift the phone from 'Global' to the US only mode unless we were planning overseas travel. We did that and the battery went from workig for 4-5 hours after a charge to over 30 hours after the charge....

The theory was that the phone was constantly looking for a global signal. Turning that off stopped the search. Don't now if that is true but a far longer life was the result.