Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 8

Droid 2: Exchange syncing entire e-mail account vs. 3 days, then won't sync new mail

2010-08-13, 15:53 PM

Besides the issues that have already been reported, I'm noticing another issue. When I initially set up my Droid2 with our server I selected to sync only the last 3 days worth of e-mail, however after the initial sync, it decides, on it's own accord, to sync the entire contents of my e-mail account (8Gb+). After which the phone refuses to receive any additional e-mail. IMAP appears to be working fine, however I lose a lot of functionality imho. I have seen references to Touchdown as a viable alternative, but I'm apprehensive about purchasing another piece of software to fix an inherent problem in the MotoBlur interface.

• Taking the liberty of changing some post titles to be more specific and so we can tell them apart for troubleshooting. Thanks.

Message was edited by: Matt (Forums Manager)

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Droid 2: Exchange syncing entire e-mail account vs. 3 days, then won't sync new mail

2010-08-13, 16:06 PM

I understand your frustration as Android just doesn't seem to have gotten Exchange down pat yet.  I bought TouchDown when the original Droid was introduced last November when I wasn't satisfied with the native app.  (It was $20 then.)  I've not regretted it.  I believe they have a 30 day free trial (5-day back then) that you can give it a go with.  If the price is now $10 as one person alluded, it's well worth it even though you're still left with a bad taste in your mouth for having to buy an alternative app in the first place. - Mark

Options

74 Posts

08-13-2010

United States of America

35 Signins

643 Page Views

• Views: 643
  • Message 3 of 8

Re: Droid 2: Exchange syncing entire e-mail account vs. 3 days, then won't sync new mail

2010-08-13, 21:53 PM

1of7627 wrote:

I understand your frustration as Android just doesn't seem to have gotten Exchange down pat yet.  I bought TouchDown when the original Droid was introduced last November when I wasn't satisfied with the native app.  (It was $20 then.)  I've not regretted it.  I believe they have a 30 day free trial (5-day back then) that you can give it a go with.  If the price is now $10 as one person alluded, it's well worth it even though you're still left with a bad taste in your mouth for having to buy an alternative app in the first place. - Mark

This is exactly what I am afraid is happening across the whole android community.  OEM add-ons are buggy and people are relating that directly to android.  How can this stuff not ahve been found in testing.  If it was whole launches a product like that.

Options

11 Posts

08-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2010-08-13, 22:06 PM

I'm using Exchange 2003 SP2 and not having this issue with my Droid 2.  I am having the contacts issue but so far the email sync has been working fine.  My Droid 2 is only using WiFi right now since I had to reactivate my Droid 1 because of the Droid 2 contacts sync issue.

What version of Exchange are you running?  Did you change any other settings from the defaults when you set up your corporate sync?

Options

3 Posts

08-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2010-08-14, 2:01 AM

I've tried it on a few different servers actually. One (a sister company's email server) running Exchange 2003 sp2, another (our parent company's email server) with Exchange 2007, and finally with our server which is running Kerio Connect 7.1 (ActiveSync 12) just to triple check. The same behavior was observed on all of them, though the 2003 server worked for a few hours then proceded to dump the mock account's entire email folder (~1Gb). I personally am just annoyed with the fact that what worked on my old phone (more or less . . . emphasis on the more) is now broken completely because Motorola had to develop an OEM layer for the device. I would just return it and get one of HTC's devices, but Verizon in my area is sold out of pretty much everything except the Droid 2.

Options

74 Posts

08-13-2010

United States of America

35 Signins

643 Page Views

• Views: 643
  • Message 6 of 8

2010-08-15, 21:01 PM

I have not had the entire e-mail account syncing issue but I have noticed that the corporate sync will just stop getting "push" e-mail.  If I reset the device it starts getting message again but so far this has happened each of the 4 days I have had the device.  I feel like I notice it more after I take it off the charger but that is just crazy talk, isn't it...

Options

164 Posts

07-23-2010

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 8

2010-08-20, 13:29 PM

@donaldkramer

You mention "mock account".  Is this a test account we could use at Motorola to try to reproduce the issue?  If yes, can you send me a direct message on the forum with the account info?

Francois Holl (Product Manager at Motorola)

Options

34 Posts

08-17-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2010-08-20, 13:55 PM

My first encounter with Exchange problems was when the Droid told me I had no address book entries, when I had previously been using them......a battery pull brought them all back.  The next encounter was no messages in the account.....I know I have about 400 (I work to keep it cleaned out!), but nada, zilch.  A battery pull brought it back.  Haven't had problems with the calendar yes (that I know of).  I deleted the account and reinstalled, and for the moment it seems to be working, but I am a little skeptical.  I tried TouchDown, but I really don't like the interface, the native application is much better.  I think the Exchange piece that irritates me the most is the continual need to re-enter the PIN, which is hard to do if you are answering the phone in the car (Bluetooth is part time at best!).  We have no PIN requirements....older Droids, BlackBerries, iPhones all work fine....My suspicion is that with all of these issues going on, the folks in the software department are working overtime to try and fix.....if we can just hold on........

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms