Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

01-24-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 22

Droid 2 constantly reboots

2011-03-31, 11:30 AM

I have been having both my wife's and my droid 2 rebooting lately. Doesn't seem to be associated  with any of the programs I have on the phones. They'll just reboot on their own. I had the original droid with absolutely no issues, and got D2 when eligible for upgrades. WiFi on or off doesn't matter. Yesterday I was in the middle of a business conversation when mine rebooted. Not good for moto in my opinion. When the phones come back up sometimes they hang and I have to pull battery, wait 5-10 minutes, reinstall the battery, and hope it boots up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Options

7 Posts

12-13-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 22

Re: Droid 2 constantly reboots

2011-03-31, 11:39 AM

My wife's Droid2 also has a random reboot issue. So far mine does not, but if wife not happy, no one is happy.

I hope a software update is very soon.

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 22

2011-03-31, 14:55 PM

I've read of others that have experienced random reboots (and much moreso on the D2 Global forum), but I've not had this problem with my D2.  There have been lots of anicdotal cures and suggestions made, but I've not seen any confirmed cure.  My phone isn't set up in an extraordinary way, though I have a home replacement app (Launcher Pro) and don't use the native home or MotoBlur widgets or functions (and most don't run if you use a home replacement app).  I also don't have any real time updating apps (weather, virus and such) running and don't turn on accessory functions (wifi, BT, GPS) unless I'm going to use them.  Not that any of this necessarily has anything to do with the problem.  I know of a couple of users that exchanged their D2's and D2G's because of this problem and some improved while others not.  (The D2 users were given D2G's in exchange.)  Hopefully an update will address or at least improve it.  - MarkC

Options

92 Posts

09-04-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 22

2011-04-05, 16:26 PM

Does the home replacement app change some of the Blur functionality?

A few of us in the thread I started came to the conclusion that it's probably related to the tweaks that improved battery performance in the first patch. And I'm finding that the more I use battery-hog apps (Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Rio, Words with Friends...), the more frequent the reboots occur. If Launcher Pro affects battery management at all, I wonder if it would work as a bandaid until the patch comes... Though reboots still happen infrequently enough to me that I couldn't absolutely confirm if it did work.

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 22

2011-04-05, 17:14 PM

Joe, I don't see anything in LP that specifically addresses battery management.  (Memory, yes.)  And it could be that I've not had rebooting problems because my phone isn't taxed enough.  (I do "Slugs", but not "Birds".)  I do know that several Blur processes don't run under LP, though I don't know if that would have an impact.  (Seems like the Globals are as much or more affected by this problem.) - MarkC

Options

92 Posts

09-04-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 22

2011-04-06, 4:59 AM

Hmmm--this question comes from my ignorance, not knowledge (meant to clear up my ignorance, not to be insightful): might battery management and memory management be somewhat connected? I would assume memory management changes would affect things like how often the phone pulls power to refresh memory, no?

I believe you also mentioned in the other thread that you power down regularly. If someone's having reboots occur regularly enough that they can count on them happening daily, it would be nice to get some testing in. Between the alternate launcher, and regular shutdowns.

Do you know offhand if Motorola has been able to reproduce the problem in the shop?

Options

7 Posts

12-13-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 22

2011-04-06, 12:13 PM

It may be a memory issue, a leaking process draning the usable ram. On the LG Ally forum there was a posting of what the Ally does when memory levels reach certain points, so I would think Moto has a similar process.

Problem is, how do we find the offending process, in traditional linux I would use Top to show vital stats, but I do not have that option.

Options

92 Posts

09-04-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 22

2011-04-06, 18:26 PM

Interesting thought. Isn't Android designed to end processes using too much memory, though?

If it is a memory leak, it probably will be tough to find. A few of us compared apps in the other thread, and there wasn't always any overlap.

Options

11 Posts

04-10-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 22

2011-04-12, 1:41 AM

Here is a question: How Much rooom do you have on the 8gb Card? if it is too full it could cause some of this if not all.

Options

92 Posts

09-04-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 22

2011-04-12, 2:39 AM

I've never heard of those being related--seems to be highly unlikely in any case.

I have over 6 GB free.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms