Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

67 Posts

07-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 7

Droid Bionic (Read on D2 users)

2011-07-13, 14:48 PM

I just read an article comparing the Droid Bionic and iPhone 5 here:

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/07/13/droid-bionic-vs-iphone-5-our-views-your-vote/

I realize that most Android users like their platform and don't prefer to be locked into iOS as Apple does but there is something to consider.  This article says that the Droid Bionic (by Motorola) is the new cats meow for Andriod based phones by Verizon.  The question is would any of us move to the Bionic knowing the track record of OS updates by Motorola.  I can see it now when the Droid Bionic 2 comes out, Moto will drop the support for the Bionic just like we are seeing when DB users will be looking for Ice Cream.

I recently went to help my daughter with her iPhone 4 and to my surprise discovered there was an update.  That's when once again I started getting an attitude towards Moto.  It was a simple update to include security patches and bug fixes.  When was the last time we saw this D2 users?

This lack of communication by Moto is getting absolutely ridiculous.

I recently joined this forum, but have been following all of your posts for the past several months.  Thanks to all who have made the effort to attempt to communicate our frustrations to Moto.  I hate to say this, but iOS is looking better and better.  At least Apple supports their customers.

Options

111 Posts

05-05-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: Droid Bionic (Read on D2 users)

2011-07-13, 15:59 PM

I too am concerned by the lack of communication and support from Motorolla.  I should have learned my lesson when I bought the Devour.  Tons of problems, that Motorolla never owned up to or addressed,.discussions got heated on the forum section, we initially had a lot of feedback from Matt, then nothing.  Just like here, he's disappeared and moved on to the newest thing, maybe the x2 or xoom..

So, remembering my past with the Devour, and getting abandoned, (Android 1.6 and no more).  Had a D1, and that looks to be ending at 2.2, I got a d2 in hopes it would be updated, but no word on that. I will be needing to look else where for my next phone.

Do any of you know, (I don't, since I'm had been really loyal to Moto) is there a better manufacturer that keeps current with their customers on updates?  I'm open to advice here. 

Sad part is I have friends that have been waving their iPhones under my nose, and frankly I might go that route there appears to be no complaints on upgrades. . 

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2011-07-13, 18:18 PM

exompt wrote:

I just read an article comparing the Droid Bionic and iPhone 5 here:

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/07/13/droid-bionic-vs-iphone-5-our-views-your -vote/

I realize that most Android users like their platform and don't prefer to be locked into iOS as Apple does but there is something to consider.  This article says that the Droid Bionic (by Motorola) is the new cats meow for Andriod based phones by Verizon.  The question is would any of us move to the Bionic knowing the track record of OS updates by Motorola.  I can see it now when the Droid Bionic 2 comes out, Moto will drop the support for the Bionic just like we are seeing when DB users will be looking for Ice Cream.

I recently went to help my daughter with her iPhone 4 and to my surprise discovered there was an update.  That's when once again I started getting an attitude towards Moto.  It was a simple update to include security patches and bug fixes.  When was the last time we saw this D2 users?

This lack of communication by Moto is getting absolutely ridiculous.

I recently joined this forum, but have been following all of your posts for the past several months.  Thanks to all who have made the effort to attempt to communicate our frustrations to Moto.  I hate to say this, but iOS is looking better and better.  At least Apple supports their customers.

From everything that I have gathered, the Bionic will be a spectacular phone, with features and enhancements that will make it a very desirable smart phone.  The fragmentation that Google has encountered with Android in the past because of their policies regarding supporting the various OS versions are being addressed as we speak.  The constraints of the Apple OS are not for me, Android is rapidly becoming more than a major contender, soon they will be the OS that eveyone else is trying to catch up with, for example, please read here, and here and one of the most telling predictions is located here.  There are no perfect smart phone manufacturers, Samsung, for example, has no official support forum for their phones, HTC, I can tell you from first hand experience, is certainly no role model for upgrading their software on their phones, in particular the HTC "Hero" and the HTC "Eris".   Just food for thought before you take the plunge.    --- Dan

Options

67 Posts

07-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2011-07-13, 18:43 PM

The picture I was trying to paint was that we can learn a lot from what we haven't seen by Moto; you with Devour and all of us here with D2 etc, etc and it is very possible with the rest of their line.  Could this be a trend?  I think Moto will eventually shoot themselves in the foot as word spreads that their customer service for supporting their phones falls off.

I'm beginning to respect how Apple supports their phones and how the continue to support their older models.

Perhaps DansDroid comment is correct with Android being the OS to beat, but will it be on a Motorola device?  I think not.

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2011-07-13, 19:01 PM

exompt wrote:

The picture I was trying to paint was that we can learn a lot from what we haven't seen by Moto; you with Devour and all of us here with D2 etc, etc and it is very possible with the rest of their line.  Could this be a trend?  I think Moto will eventually shoot themselves in the foot as word spreads that their customer service for supporting their phones falls off.

I'm beginning to respect how Apple supports their phones and how the continue to support their older models.

Perhaps DansDroid comment is correct with Android being the OS to beat, but will it be on a Motorola device?  I think not.

Hello.  Are you referring to Apple support of their older models such as is pointed out here?  For those who don't care to follow the link, here's the core of the link:

When a customer emailed Steve Jobs asking if Apple would support/update the iPhone 2G in the future, Jobs replied:

Sorry, no.

The move shouldn’t come as a surprise considering that the original iPhone came out in 2007 and the launch of a new iPhone handset this summer will make the original a full three generations old. It takes development resources to build and test software to support older hardware and Apple would be better served putting those resources into advancing the platform — rather than keep old and dying hardware afloat.

But make no mistake about it, Apple also wants to sell you a new iPhone every year or two.

Steve’s one line missives have been quite frank and straightforward and the mail headers indicate that the email is from The Steve’s personal iPhone. So there you have it folks, if you’re still rocking a silverback iPhone this may be the summer to upgrade.

--- Dan

Options

67 Posts

07-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2011-07-13, 19:14 PM

Actually I was referring to the iPhone 3

Options

191 Posts

05-23-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2011-09-06, 15:56 PM

Does anyone know if the new specs for the Bionic have been released yet?  It launches on the 8th, but I have have not seen any new spec list.  Also is there a Moto Bionic forum up yet?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms