Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

206 Posts

11-22-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

Give your 2 cents. Original Droid vs Droid 2

2011-06-25, 15:30 PM

It was with great regret that I recently dropped my original DROID onto a very unforgiving concrete patio.  When I picked it up it was shattered and looked like a spider web.  I had been extremely happy with my original DROID and was hoping that it would last until I found another phone that had the same fanfare the original DROID did upon entering the market.  That no longer being an option and being out of contract, I went onto the Verizon Wireless website and was not enthused about the current offerings.  Having it fixed was going to cost about $109.00 total.  I could buy a replacement digitizer from Amazon for $25.00 and do it myself with the help of YouTube, but I would probably end up breaking it more.  Might be a good future project.  Decided that I would get a stand in from Craigslist.  To my surprise the original DROID was still fetching a hefty asking price from most sellers.  I ended up finding a very nice DROID 2 (non global).  I wanted to stay with the original DROID or get a DROID 2 because of all the accessories I currently own fitting those phones.  I have had it for about 4 days now and I'm pretty happy with it so far.  To be honest I don't see much of a difference.  It's probably the things I can't see.  I was hoping that I can get some input from the forum and original DROID to DROID 2 owners regarding the differences they like and or dislike about switching from the original DROID to the DROID 2.  The first major thing I noticed was the shorter battery life.  I now have to use the original DROID battery as a back up.  My girlfriend has the DROID X and the DROID 2 seems to be just a smaller version of the DROID X.  I would say it's just slightly slower.  Your input on the comparison between the two is greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

Options

206 Posts

11-22-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: Give your 2 cents. Original Droid vs Droid 2

2011-06-25, 15:30 PM

It was with great regret that I recently dropped my original DROID onto a very unforgiving concrete patio.  When I picked it up it was shattered and looked like a spider web.  I had been extremely happy with my original DROID and was hoping that it would last until I found another phone that had the same fanfare the original DROID did upon entering the market.  That no longer being an option and being out of contract, I went onto the Verizon Wireless website and was not enthused about the current offerings.  Having it fixed was going to cost about $109.00 total.  I could buy a replacement digitizer from Amazon for $25.00 and do it myself with the help of YouTube, but I would probably end up breaking it more.  Might be a good future project.  Decided that I would get a stand in from Craigslist.  To my surprise the original DROID was still fetching a hefty asking price from most sellers.  I ended up finding a very nice DROID 2 (non global).  I wanted to stay with the original DROID or get a DROID 2 because of all the accessories I currently own fitting those phones.  I have had it for about 4 days now and I'm pretty happy with it so far.  To be honest I don't see much of a difference.  It's probably the things I can't see.  I was hoping that I can get some input from the forum and original DROID to DROID 2 owners regarding the differences they like and or dislike about switching from the original DROID to the DROID 2.  The first major thing I noticed was the shorter battery life.  I now have to use the original DROID battery as a back up.  My girlfriend has the DROID X and the DROID 2 seems to be just a smaller version of the DROID X.  I would say it's just slightly slower.  Your input on the comparison between the two is greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

Options

206 Posts

11-22-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2011-06-25, 16:52 PM

@ DansDroid

Can you explain with a little more clarity the MotoBlur and the Google experience?   Can you also give me an example of what is considered benchmark apps? I'm not really a techie but sometimes I pretend. 

Thanks

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2011-06-25, 20:20 PM

tfs1975 wrote:

@ DansDroid

Can you explain with a little more clarity the MotoBlur and the Google experience?   Can you also give me an example of what is considered benchmark apps? I'm not really a techie but sometimes I pretend. 

Thanks

A true GED (Google Experience Device) does not have MotoBlur installed on it, MotoBlur is Motorola's "skin" (look) of the graphic user interface (GUI) as well as the integration of applications that are integral to MotoBlur.  The original Droid had no MotoBlur, no locked bootloader and met all of the qualifications that Google has determined a device has to be to be called a Google Experience Device.   Benchmark apps include "CPU Benchmark",  "Linpack for Android",  "Quadrant Standard" and there others.   These apps tell you the performance of your phone and the performance of your phone in relation to other Android devices.  Very handy if you really want to know what you phone is doing, performance wise.    --- Dan

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2011-06-26, 15:26 PM

Dan's provided a pretty concise description of the D2 differences and experiences.  I migrated to a D2 when they were first available and preferred it greatly over the D1.  (The keyboard alone was worth the change, in my opinion.)  The build quality easily matched the earlier model too.  Most of the complaints users have with the D2 are software related and there's considerable debate on Motoblur.  I chose to more or less duplicate the UI of my D1 by using the same alternate launcher and supporting apps.  When this is done, some of the Motoblur processes don't run.  I also don't need the social networking widgets and use the full market apps if I need to.  I got about the same battery life with my D2 that I did with the D1 and never have had a significant problem.  Regretably, the D2 had a short sales lifespan as I felt it was and still is a great product.   Good luck with yours. - MarkC

Options

7 Posts

06-27-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2011-06-27, 15:39 PM

The Droid 2 is great, the keyboard is much better than the original.

Downloading an alternate launcher is a must. The motoblur homescreen is very laggy and makes the phone appear terribly slow. Use LauncherPro or GoLauncherEx. Both are free and eleminate much of the homescreen lag. They also have loads and loads of customization features.

Battery life isnt so great, but verizon sells an extended battery that hardly adds any thickness to the phone.

Options

315 Posts

11-17-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2011-07-06, 19:35 PM

my experience with the original Motorola Droid was a nightmare.  I bought it when it was first released

I went through three of the Original droids until i complained enough that they store put me in a refurb droid2 and added another year to my contract...

So far I have had ZERO audio issues with the Droid 2 on bluetooth or not, but  the Droid 2 will NOT  sync reliably to an exchange 2003  or 2011 server.  In the business environment the only way to successfully accomplish this is with the Touchdown app on the market.

If i would be a HOME user looking for an Android phone.  I believe the Droid 2 would be a great phone(i convinced my sister to get one and she loves it), I would not suggest the original droid though.   Again MY problems were with Exchange email.  Home users will not use exchange email 

Options

111 Posts

05-05-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2011-07-07, 16:08 PM

@ DansDroid

Now I'm really confused.  I bought a used D2, was using a D1.  I'm don't see any blur content on this phone at all.  What should I be looking for?  I had a devour, and blur was right in your face.

Please advise.

Options

7 Posts

06-27-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2011-07-07, 19:29 PM

@mihajlovic  Well look at the apps, do you see any Blur applications? These would be Social Networking, a themed text messaging application with yellow and grey chat bubbles, and various other Motorola additions including Motorola widgets.

The moto blur homescreen on the Droid 2 should similar to the one in this image.

If there are no traces of motoblur, the original owner may have installed a custom launcher or a custom ROM (a modified version of the operating system with all BLUR apps removed)

http://wwwery.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Droid2_Front_Home.jpg

Options

111 Posts

05-05-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2011-07-07, 19:53 PM

Ahhh, thanks.  I am using launcherpro, so that by passed all that junk.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms