Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

08-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 10

Google Contact Groups Not Syncing...

2010-08-26, 0:27 AM

Hi.  In addition to the other issues with 'Contacts' app on the Droid2 that have already been reported on this forum, I'm experiencing another issue as well...

I've created 'Groups' of contacts in Google Contacts, however when I sync my phone the list never appears within the contacts app.  This also is replicable in reverse... When I setup a group from within the Contacts app on my Droid2, this new group never appears within Google Contacts.  I've tried several varying group names to no avail.

I've noticed similar reports for other Motorola Android phones, but I'm surprised their is no mention of it already for the Droid 2.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Options

14 Posts

08-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: Google Contact Groups Not Syncing...

2010-08-30, 2:29 AM

Just adding some additional info for troubleshooting purposes....

I just downloaded an App called "Group Ringtones" from the Market.  Surprisingly, when I opened the app, it displays my groups from Google Contacts. Therefore, I can only assume that the groups are actually in sync, however the groups still do not show up in the 'Contacts' app.

Options

3 Posts

08-30-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2010-08-30, 12:41 PM

I'm having exactly the same issue and it seems like the folks with the Droid X are too!

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/200190

One of the suggestions in that thread is to install Contacts GroupU (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.groupu.android). I've done this and it seems to work quite nicely. I can see my Gmail groups and I can launch other apps from the GroupU app if I want to make use of a particular group. For example,  I launch GroupU, I select a group "Chicago contacts", then select "email", GroupU gives me options to send an email from the Gmail app or through the Email app.

This seems like a huge mistake by Motorola though. Why does this not work out of the box? This thing is meant to sync with Google! This is one of the big reasons I wanted to get the Droid2. I want to manage my contacts wherever I like - desktop, phone, web - and gmail lets me do this. I'm shocked I cannot do this out of the box on Droid2.

Options

20127 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2604 Signins

65398 Page Views

• Views: 65398
  • Message 4 of 10

2010-08-30, 15:44 PM

It's true -- Contact Groups created in your Gmail account do not sync down to your Droid. I have taken this back to the team as feature request. I'm not sure if this is enabled on other Android phones or not. You can create Groups on your Droid 2, but I know that's not the same thing.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

14 Posts

08-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2010-08-30, 18:24 PM

Matt (Forums Manager) wrote:

It's true -- Contact Groups created in your Gmail account do not sync down to your Droid. I have taken this back to the team as feature request. I'm not sure if this is enabled on other Android phones or not. You can create Groups on your Droid 2, but I know that's not the same thing.

@Matt: Thanks for the follow up... the interesting thing is the phone DOES seem to sync the groups from Google Contacts, the synced groups just aren't appearing in the 'Contacts' app when you go to select a group.  As Ben Allen mentioned other apps, such as  Contacts GroupU and Group Ringtones, can see the synced groups from Google Contacts.  Thanks for all you're doing to help!

Options

5 Posts

09-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2010-09-03, 11:58 AM

I came from an original Droid (touchscreen failed, so Verizon sent me a Droid 2 as a warranty replacement) and this feature was most definitely there.

In truth, I've been nothing but frustrated by Motorola's need to "enhance" and replace the standard Android apps with their own version on the Droid 2, but this is what I'm stuck with now for another year or so.

Options

14 Posts

08-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2010-09-03, 18:51 PM

drathos wrote:

I came from an original Droid (touchscreen failed, so Verizon sent me a Droid 2 as a warranty replacement) and this feature was most definitely there.

In truth, I've been nothing but frustrated by Motorola's need to "enhance" and replace the standard Android apps with their own version on the Droid 2, but this is what I'm stuck with now for another year or so.

@drathos: Thanks for the info!  It's nice to know that Google Contact Groups did sync on the original Droid.  Do you recall if groups were syncing on the original Droid after the Froyo update?  Let's hope Moto is working on a fix for this shortcoming on the Droid 2!

Options

14 Posts

08-16-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2010-11-03, 17:16 PM

I just updated to 2.3.20 and was glad to see that a couple of the "big ticket" issues were finally addressed!  Thanks!

Unless I am missing something, it seems that the contacts app still doesn't allow me to select from synced Contact Groups from Google Contacts.  I can add a group in Google contacts, and I can see the group and contacts on my phone using a 3rd party app (Contacts GroupU), however the group still doesn't show in the contacts app.

Since the groups are already syncing it shouldn't be a major issue to display the group in the contacts app.  This would be a HUGE advantage for those of us with hundreds of contacts.

Thanks!

Options

3 Posts

05-21-2011

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2011-05-21, 19:44 PM

I originaly had an HTC phone and the Google Groups worked great on it.  When Verizon agreed to upgrade me to a phone that would support FROYO, I picked the DROID2, and it was a little while after I started using the phone that I found I could not see any groups, all the phone does is put up a bar that says Groups, with an arrow pointing down.  when I click the arrow, nothing happens.

I asked at the Verizon store about it, and they told me it was a known problem with the DROID2.  It would be nice if the phone manufacturers would leave all of the basic OS features alone so that they all work, no matter who's phone you purchase.

Dave

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 10

2011-05-21, 22:11 PM

Dave take a look at this FREE app from the Market called "GO Contacts"  the appbrain page on it is here.:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/go-contacts/com.jbapps.contact

It's a great contact and dialer app and shows my Google Groups perfectly.  There's a tab at the bottom of the main window for Groups, then the group types are listed down the left side and touching any one of those updates the list.

This is yet another GREAT and FREE app from the GO developers.  I use this one as well as GO Launcher EX (great home replacement that I prefer to Launcher Pro), the notifier that goes with it, GO SMS PRO (for texting that I prefer over Handcent), and even GO Keyboard (that I prefer to Swype).  These are all FREE apps without ads and work very well for me. - MarkC

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms