cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starastarb
What's DOS?
Views: 2,567
Message 1 of 8

Keyboard shortcuts if soft keys don't work?

Without warning, my soft keys stopped working. When I press one, they activate whatever is on the touch screen above them. (For instance, the menu soft key is right below the widget on my home page for contacts. When I press the menu soft key, it activates the contacts widget rather then accessing menus.) I tried a factory reset (I'll spare you the frustrating story of how the backup app I paid for doesn't seem to have worked as promised for me, though thousands of others love it), which included clearing the cache and was done using the external keys not via the reset option in settings. Freshly restarted, prior to adding any of the apps or changing anything, the soft keys still exhibit that behaviour. (Though, come to think of it, I also think the wallpaper stayed, which makes no sense to me. Everything else had to be reconfigured and the reset/cache clearing didn't throw any errors...hmz...)

The Droid 2 keyboard has a back button, which I've been using non-stop since the soft keys went out on me. And a search button, but I never use that. I can get by without a way to simulate having the home key (though I wouldn't mind that). But, as you can imagine, the lack of a functioning Menu key is a serious impediment. I love my Droid 2 enough that, rather than use my "new every 2" to upgrade to a Droid 4, I'm hoping to either fix my issue (which could include fixing the soft keys OR findind a keyboard shortcut for the Menu key) or buy a "new" Droid 2.

So, anyone have either a troubleshooting suggestion other than a reset (tried twice now) and/or know a magical shortcut on the physical keyboard that will do the same thing as the Menu soft key?

(Phone is not rooted and has the latest version of Android that Verizon pushed...Looks like 2.3.4)

Thanks!

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 2,555
Message 2 of 8

Re: Keyboard shortcuts if soft keys don't work?

I would very interested to know if your phone behaves the way you have described while in safe mode.  Also, when you are in a text entry field and do a long press on the field, what keyboard options are provided in the popup menu that is displayed?    --- Dan

starastarb
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 8

When the behaviour first started a few months ago, I did some searching online for answers. I didn't find any, but did find someone on this forum who suggested that for other issues. In safe mode, the behaviour is the same, unfortunately. As for long presses...When I do a long press (either on the touch screen or holding down OK on the physical keyboard), I get the expect text editing pop up menu. There aren't any other anomalous behaviours that I've found with either the touch screen or the physical keyboard. Just this issue with my soft keys. Because I'd wondered if something in the phone had recalibrated so that the area it was sensing had "slipped" (ie everything would be off by that much, so that I'd always have to press below an item for it to register as pressing the itme and might have a dead strip along the top that was the same height as the soft button area), items I touch on the touch screen react as expected and there are no dead areas on the screen.

Highlighted
DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 8

starastarb said:

When the behaviour first started a few months ago, I did some searching online for answers. I didn't find any, but did find someone on this forum who suggested that for other issues. In safe mode, the behaviour is the same, unfortunately. As for long presses...When I do a long press (either on the touch screen or holding down OK on the physical keyboard), I get the expect text editing pop up menu. There aren't any other anomalous behaviours that I've found with either the touch screen or the physical keyboard. Just this issue with my soft keys. Because I'd wondered if something in the phone had recalibrated so that the area it was sensing had "slipped" (ie everything would be off by that much, so that I'd always have to press below an item for it to register as pressing the itme and might have a dead strip along the top that was the same height as the soft button area), items I touch on the touch screen react as expected and there are no dead areas on the screen.

View original

In my previous post, I should have said "do a long key press on an *empty* text field", such as one when you are using a notepad app, such as "AK Notepad".  When you do that, you would be prompted to "Select input method", and depending upon how many keyboard apps you have installed, you will be presented a list to make a choice from.  Go to the Play Store and download a couple of the Virtual Keyboards, try "Swiftkey 3 keyboard free" and "Go keyboard".  After they are installed, do the long press on an *empty* text field in a notepad app, if you don't have one use "AK Notepad" from the Play Store for free and then perform the procedure I have detailed above and select one of the alternate keyboards.  If you still have the same problem with one of the alternate keyboards, based upon your feedback to me I have to conclude you have a hardware failure, most likely your digitizer.  Motorola will repair your phone for somewhere in the range of $90.00 to $125.00, you pay the shipping to them, and they pay the return shipping to you.  Their turn around time for repair is 5 to 7 working days.  Their contact information is below:

For general product questions and technical support

on your Android-powered Smartphones and Devices

e.g. Motorola XOOM™, DROID RAZR™, DROID Pro,

Motorola ATRIX™ 4G, MOTOACTV™

1-800-734-5870

Mon-Fri 7AM-10PM;

Sat-Sun 9AM-6PM CST

--- Dan

starastarb
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 8

Hi Dan,

I'm confused by your answer because it seems to be aimed at fixing keyboard problems. Like I said, I'm not having any issues with my keyboards. They work as expected, both the physical and the one on the touch screen. It's just the soft keys that are wonky.

And at the price you quoted, it sounds like it will be cheaper for me just to hunt down a new Droid 2 than to be without my phone and pay to have it fixed Smiley Wink

Thanks

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 8

starastarb said:

Hi Dan,

I'm confused by your answer because it seems to be aimed at fixing keyboard problems. Like I said, I'm not having any issues with my keyboards. They work as expected, both the physical and the one on the touch screen. It's just the soft keys that are wonky.

And at the price you quoted, it sounds like it will be cheaper for me just to hunt down a new Droid 2 than to be without my phone and pay to have it fixed Smiley Wink

Thanks

View original

You're welcome.  No wonder you were confused at my last response.  smiley  Sorry I got off on that tangent.   It's actually worse (in my opinion) now that I know it's not the virtual keyboard but rather the soft keys themselves (rare).  I know you have done a factory data reset (or two), but did you do them from the phone or from recovery mode?   In my opinion you have one opportunity to possibly fix this *if* it's firmware related.  You need to start your phone up in recovery mode, format the system (Dalvik) cache, and then perform a factory data reset while in recovery mode.  This is more complete than peforming a factory data reset from the settings menu in your phone.  Should this not work (and I really hope it will), I believe you could probably get a good used Droid 2 from one of the online resellers.  Please let me know how this works out for you.   --- Dan

starastarb
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 8

I rarely use the virtual keyboard. I specifically got Droid 2 for the physical keyboard cos I strongly prefer that. So, yeah, way worse that it's my soft keys. I do seem to be one of those "lucky" people who has the rare bad things happen to them. Haha

I think I actually followed your instructions in another thread (or someone else who was using an Igor avatar) to do the reset *not* through the settings menu (press x+power, scroll with volume keys, choose to clear cache and then to do a reset, right?). And I did it twice. So it sounds like it's probably a hardware issue, huh?

Part of why, as my subject line says, I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut to access menus. With the Back key on the physical keyboard and the fact I never use the Search key on the keyboard or soft keys, I"ve made it for months now without my soft keys. But without access to menus...it's finally reached a point I have to admit that's kind of too important to live without.

I keep dreaming there's an app or something that I just haven't found that will let me at least set up a shortcut (the way I can set up keyboard shortcuts for quick access to apps), cos I really, really like this phone and, having gotten my hands on a Droid 4 recently, am only lukewarm about my upgrade options.

Thanks for your help on this. Guess it's time to look for a "new" Droid 2...

Take care Smiley Happy

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 8 of 8

starastarb said:

I rarely use the virtual keyboard. I specifically got Droid 2 for the physical keyboard cos I strongly prefer that. So, yeah, way worse that it's my soft keys. I do seem to be one of those "lucky" people who has the rare bad things happen to them. Haha

I think I actually followed your instructions in another thread (or someone else who was using an Igor avatar) to do the reset *not* through the settings menu (press x+power, scroll with volume keys, choose to clear cache and then to do a reset, right?). And I did it twice. So it sounds like it's probably a hardware issue, huh?

Part of why, as my subject line says, I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut to access menus. With the Back key on the physical keyboard and the fact I never use the Search key on the keyboard or soft keys, I"ve made it for months now without my soft keys. But without access to menus...it's finally reached a point I have to admit that's kind of too important to live without.

I keep dreaming there's an app or something that I just haven't found that will let me at least set up a shortcut (the way I can set up keyboard shortcuts for quick access to apps), cos I really, really like this phone and, having gotten my hands on a Droid 4 recently, am only lukewarm about my upgrade options.

Thanks for your help on this. Guess it's time to look for a "new" Droid 2...

Take care Smiley Happy

View original

You're most welcome.  If you followed "Igor's" instructions entering recovery mode and how to format the cache and perform the factory data reset that was my instructions.  It's not good news that the phone still had the problem after that procedure.  A rare failure, for sure.  I wish you the best on getting your next Droid 2.  BTW, I still love my Droid 2 also, FWIW.   --- Dan