Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarekahf
What's DOS?
Views: 6,061
Message 1 of 10

Problems with touch screen responsiveness

I noticed that when the weather is humid, and after I put my Motorola Droid 2 in my pocket for long time, then when I try to use it, I can see the screen is becoming crazy. It will start scrolling up and down in a crazy way, parts of the screen will be touched by itself, applications will start randomly ...etc... as if there is a virus or someone else controlling my device and playing with it in a crazy way.

Then, I have to press the off button, unlock the screen, try again, keep on doing this for about 15 to 30 minutes, until it is back to normal. Usually, I have to leave the device alone in room with a regular weather condition, for quite some time, then it will be OK.

This has been the case for more than 2 years.

Now, the last time I was in Cedar Point, and I left the device in my pocket for more than 6 hours, and the weather was humid and raining sometimes. I guess the device became wet a little bit. After this incident, the same thing happened as I explained above, however, this time, there is something different.

I realized after a while that the right vertical part of the screen became unresponsive completely. I have install App called "ScreenTouchTest" and some screenshot App to examine the entire screen, and take a snapshot to show you where is the problem in the touch screen. See image attached.

Surprisingly, the first time while I was playing around with my device to troubleshoot the problem, and since I had already installed Superuser App and rooted my device long time ago, when I tried to install ScreenTouchTest and Screenshot Apps, there were some errors to allow the Screenshot app by Superuser App, and all of a sudden the screen was back to normal, and I was sooooo happy, and I don't know how it was fixed, I uninstalled both ScreenTouchTest and Screenshot Apps and still the entire screen is working properly. I left the device and checked it the next day, and the screen problem came back just as I explained above. I don't know why???!!!

I tried the Safe-Mode Trick, and started the device in Safe Mode, still the screen problem is exactly the same.

I hope someone can help me find a solution for the screen problem in my device, in summary I have two (2) problems:

1. Screen becoming crazy in in certain weather conditions and when I leave it in my pocket for long times (low priority) .

2. Touch Screen, right vertical part has become unresponsive, as shown in the image attached.

Tarek.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problems with touch screen responsiveness

To start with, I would have to say that you will need to unroot the phone and get back to a completely stock scenario before we will be able to start to troubleshoot. There are too many variables to consider when the phone has been compromised with root. sorry.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

tarekahf
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. The only reason I rooted my device is to have a proper backup solution sine one guy recommended to root my device in another forum and probably for another reason which I forgot.

What will I loose if I unroot my device? I did that long time ago and I cannot find good value from this!

How I can unroot my device?

Tarek
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 10

Any app or feature that you have that requires root would not work if you unroot. I can't be specific as I don't know what is on your phone. I can't get into specifically how to unroot the phone as that sort of discussion is not allowed here on this particular forum per house rules. You would have to go to another forum that does allow this and ask how to unroot the phone there.

This forum just doesn't deal with any problems when the software on the phone has been altered. It is just too difficult to know whether or not those customizations are causing a problem. We are in a known state if the software has been unaltered and have a good place to start with troubleshooting. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

tarekahf
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

OK, fair enough.

First, I will arrange to unroot my device. I've had enough trouble so far, and suffering for quite some time.

I think the only apps I need if I unroot my device are the following:

1. Propoer Backup App to backup my entire device apps and/or Data on the SD Card. Any other alternatives?

2. Be able to use alternate Keyboard App and Arabic Fonts so that I can type and read Arabic Text. I am currently using AnySoftKeyboard (Arabic Text is always showing as disconnected and from Left-to-Right which is very difficult to deal with, but I can manage)

3. Restore back the Address Book (contacts) data.

If I unroot my device, will I abe able to use any app to have the above mentioned functionality back to my device? I am ready to loose any other feature.

Appreciate your feedback.

Tarek

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 10

1. Not for Data. You can use MyBackup Pro. It will back up apps, but not data.

2. I can look around for something.

3. If everything is in your Gmail account for contacts than you won't lose any data for your contacts. MyBackup Pro will also make a backup of your contacts though.

I hope this helps.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 10

Looks like AnySoftKeyboard is the number 1 Arabic keyboard. I was going to recommend it to you, but see you already use it. I don't have any other ideas on that, sorry.

tarekahf
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 10

Just to post progress in case this will help diagnosing the problem.

Another area of the screen became unresponsive (virtical near the leaft part), and also the Home soft-key us not respinding to touches. The search soft-key was not responding before, and now it is sometime responsing and sometimes not responding.

Just few days before, the soft keyboard became unusable due to relatively large part of the screen is not responding.

I am now depending on the physical keyboard, and also trying to avoid using the device completely.

I am planning to unroot the device when I am finished with my vacation, since I don't have time to find out how to unroot it, and I don't want to get into more trouble while I am in my vacation.

Tarek.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 10

I believe that this is very possibly a hardware failure. The unrooting and troubleshooting will just prove this one way or another. I hope the best for you.

RicardoCotter
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10

i have the same problem but my phone isnt and has never been rooted but i cant go to the menu or open any of my apps that is in the same area of the main menu button on the screen i recently replaced my screen and it worked fine until i got it glued and thats when the screen started acting crazy and then the area near the main menu button just stop responding to my touches the home button and the back button still works and the button that you hold and it shows you all the apps that are open all work i use to have to rotate the phone to use it but know it wont even automatically rotate despite auto rotate being on can someone please help i love my moto e and dont wanna replace it with any other phone i live in the caribbean island of St.lucia and it is merely a handful of people with this type of phone and i cant get anyone to help me or knows about this problem.