Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doc102003
What's DOS?
Views: 866
Message 1 of 14

SD card issues

I have had this phone for over a year and a half. I have a bunch of pictures on it. Yesterday after my phone updated some of my apps all of a sudden I got an icon saying that my sd card was blank or had an unsupported file on it. Or some error like that. I am trying to figure out what to do to get my photos off of the card. I tried using Photorec but my computer doesn't recognize the SD card. I have tried to hook the phone to my mac with a usb. But I don't know how to get the computer to recognize it. I want to know what you guys suggest, should I mount the sd card? If I do that wont it erase all of the photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
doc102003
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 14

Re: SD card issues

I had enough so I tried to mount the card and it wont mount. I tried to reformat and it wont reformat. Any thoughts please

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 3 of 14

I have a couple of suggestions for you.  If you have not put your phone into safe mode, I recommend you do it now.  Once in safe mode, check the contents of your microSD card, if it will mount.  If the card will not mount or shows no contents, perform a prolonged battery pull of over 5 minutes or greater, reinstall and then check the microSD card.  If the card still will not mount or shows no contents, I recommend you use an external card reader to examine the contents of the card to see if it is readable, defective, or can be formatted using the FAT file system.  Format the microSD card as a last resort because that will permanently erase all data on the card, merely mounting the card does not erase any data     --- Dan

doc102003
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 14

how do you put it into safe mode?

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 5 of 14

doc102003 said:

how do you put it into safe mode?

1. Power the Droid 2 off.

2. Slide the keyboard open.

3. Press and hold the OK key while powering the device back on.

4. Keep holding the OK key until you see the Home screen load. It should say Safe Mode in the bottom-left corner of the screen.

To take the device out of Safe Mode, just power the device off, then back on.

--- Dan

doc102003
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 14

I tried putting it into safe mode and it will not mount. I took the sd card out and tried putting it in a usb adapter and that didnt work. I am now trying to put it is my sd card adapter on the side of my mac to see if I can get it to recognize the card. Do you have any other suggestions?

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 7 of 14

doc102003 said:

I tried putting it into safe mode and it will not mount. I took the sd card out and tried putting it in a usb adapter and that didnt work. I am now trying to put it is my sd card adapter on the side of my mac to see if I can get it to recognize the card. Do you have any other suggestions?

Although it is *very* rare, I believe that you have had a catastrophic failure of your microSD card.  Substitution of a known good card will verify if this is indeed the case.   --- Dan

doc102003
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 14

When I put the new card in at first it said the samething that it "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem." I was able to put it in the computer and get it to reformat and when I put it back in the phone it was fine. So I guess that means my card has had a catastrohic failure? Is there anything that I can do now is it gone. I hope that there is something I can do, I have pictures on there from when my first daughter were born. I should have taken them off but I was sure that nothing would happen. This may be the last droid I ever own.

doc102003
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 14

It wont mount when you click to mount it acts like it is going to try and then nothing happens. It is quite frustrating.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 10 of 14

doc102003 said:

When I put the new card in at first it said the samething that it "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem." I was able to put it in the computer and get it to reformat and when I put it back in the phone it was fine. So I guess that means my card has had a catastrohic failure? Is there anything that I can do now is it gone. I hope that there is something I can do, I have pictures on there from when my first daughter were born. I should have taken them off but I was sure that nothing would happen. This may be the last droid I ever own.

The default path storage setting on your Android phone for pictures is /mnt/sdcard/DCIM.  This is stored on the internal sdcard on your phone, not the removable microSD card, unless you have changed the default storage setting.  You can view this location on your phone by using a good file manager such as "ASTRO" on the Play Store for free.    --- Dan