Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drasek1581
What's DOS?
Views: 336
Message 1 of 4

Still receiving MULTIPLE copies of the same SMS

Hello,

I know that with the Gingerbread update the duplicate SMS issue was supposed to be fixed but it is still horrendous on my phone.  I just received 10..10 copies of the same SMS.  This is not a one off occurrence either.  Almost daily I receive multiple copies of the same message.  I know I'm on a Droid 2 and am due for a much needed upgrade but am trying to hold out for a Droid 5 (if there is even to be one).  In other words I'll probably wait until the beginning of 2013 before I pull the trigger on a new phone.   Is it safe to say there are no more software updates coming?  I know it won't be ICS or anything but any bug fixes?  The last time I reset my phone was approximately 60 hours ago, it just froze so had to hard reset. Additionally it is 11:04am EST as I'm writing this message and my phone says 10:54am????

Thank you.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 4

Re: Still receiving MULTIPLE copies of the same SMS

Here is the list of phones that are scheduled to receive an update.  To ensure we are on the same page, when you refer to a "hard reset" are you speaking of doing a factory data reset?  Have you powered down your phone and performed an extended battery pull yet..for instance, leaving the battery out for at least two minutes before reinstalling the battery and powering up and then checking your phone for correct operation?  Are you using the native text messaging application on the phone or a third party application?  I highly recommend "Handcent" messaging client on the Play Store for free, it's much more flexible and powerful than the native text messaging application and using it will provide you a baseline for further troubleshooting if the problem still exists when using "Handcent".   --- Dan

Drasek1581
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Hey Dan,

When I said "hard reset" I meant alt+shift+delete not a factory reset.  I was using the native text messaging app but on your recommendation switched to Handcent.  I've only had it for a few hours so the sample size of texts sent/received since then is to small to see if it has an impact.  Like I said I know I have an old  phone so any fix will be appreciated.  Hopefully Handcent is it but if not I'll be sure to post an update. 

Thank you for your help thus far.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 4

Drasek1581 said:

Hey Dan,

When I said "hard reset" I meant alt+shift+delete not a factory reset.  I was using the native text messaging app but on your recommendation switched to Handcent.  I've only had it for a few hours so the sample size of texts sent/received since then is to small to see if it has an impact.  Like I said I know I have an old  phone so any fix will be appreciated.  Hopefully Handcent is it but if not I'll be sure to post an update. 

Thank you for your help thus far.

View original

You're very welcome and thank you for your rapid feedback.  I appreciate you clarifying on the use of the term "hard reset".  I've used "Handcent" since the original Droid days and have it installed on every Droid series of phone that I own.  I believe once you use that application and dig deeper into the settings and customize it to your personal preferences that you'll be a convert.   smiley   --- Dan