Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 2 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 11 of 16

Re: What is wrong with the stock music player?

2011-09-08, 5:15 AM

alamanna wrote:

And why again would I want to just pause the music and not stop it?

Hello Alamanna.  Here's Matt's response to your question again (I'm not trying to be snide), please, I want to help you further understand Android multi-tasking.  Matt said: 

"My understanding is imperfect, but I think it's related to how Android manages memory. We pause it so that you can resume playing quickly. If you don't resume it after awhile, or the resources are needed elsewhere, the Android operating system shuts down the app automatically."

His understanding is correct, please follow this link to give you some very insightful information on how and why Android multi-tasks in the manner it does.     --- Dan

Options

11 Posts

09-06-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 12 of 16

2011-09-08, 10:50 AM

Matt, the third button you mention, the save as playlist, I assume that is the button to the left of the other two.  If you press that, then press the 4 squard button on the lower left of the unit, I think 6 choices pop up on the bottom of the screen.  One of them is clear playlist, which to me looks like it stops playing the song.

--Adam 

Options

11 Posts

09-06-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 16

2011-09-08, 10:57 AM

Dan, I understand the multi-tasking aspect of the Droid 2, but just because one can multi-task does not mean I need to have a bunch of things running in the background.  When I am done with an app (any app for that matter) I would like to be able to stop it.  I don't see why the music player just has a pause and does not straight up stop it.  I have yet to see the Droid 2 just shut down the app due to whatever resourcing reason you are referencing.

When I make a call to someone, and I finish that call, I hang up and that calling app in done.  When I play a game, and I am done, I quit the app and that is done.  I don't pause these apps and have them in memory in the background, even if they take up a bit of memory.  I want them to stop completely.  I assume this is to happen, because you have a way to force stop applications if for some reason an app is not closing correctly and I manually need to stop it.  So, this must have been an issue that you (or the engineers in general) have seen in the past and that is why you have given us a manual way to stop an app if all else fails.  Now, this is not supposed to be the way to shut down an app, but is used when all else fails.

So I ask again why there is no stop functionality with the music played.  My old LG env2 phone played mp3s, and when I was done, the music stopped.  There was no put in pause function until later (unless I wanted to just pause the song on my own for a bit). 

--Adam

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 14 of 16

2011-09-08, 14:51 PM

So I ask again why there is no stop functionality with the music played.  My old LG env2 phone played mp3s, and when I was done, the music stopped.  There was no put in pause function until later (unless I wanted to just pause the song on my own for a bit). 

--Adam

There have been no "Stop" buttons on Android Music Players from the beginning.  This is an Android design decision, not Motorola's.  And, this isn't unique to music players as the vast majority of Android applications use the native memory management methodology of the OS.  The LG env/2 was not an Android phone.  I've never suffered ill effect from Android's methodology, but there are several excellent 3rd party music player apps in the market, some of which have functions like "Quit" or "Exit" that completely end the process.  (I'm currently using the Cloudskipper player, which is free, has no ads and has a "Quit" option on the settings menu.) - MarkC

Options

20124 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2587 Signins

65223 Page Views

• Views: 65223
  • Message 15 of 16

2011-09-08, 15:05 PM

Thanks! I didn't run into that player -- the players I tried all had pause-only controls.

1of7627 wrote:

--Adam

There have been no "Stop" buttons on Android Music Players from the beginning.  This is an Android design decision, not Motorola's.  And, this isn't unique to music players as the vast majority of Android applications use the native memory management methodology of the OS.  The LG env/2 was not an Android phone.  I've never suffered ill effect from Android's methodology, but there are several excellent 3rd party music player apps in the market, some of which have functions like "Quit" or "Exit" that completely end the process.  (I'm currently using the Cloudskipper player, which is free, has no ads and has a "Quit" option on the settings menu.) - MarkC

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 16 of 16

2011-09-08, 15:59 PM

Hello Adam.  I can't and won't even attempt to give you a better answer than what MarkC has provided.  I hope the information provided has been beneficial to you.    --- Dan

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms