Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 3 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

162 Posts

07-11-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 13

Application RAM useage, straight from a developers mouth...

2011-08-21, 21:00 PM

So I was having an issue with my HDR+ app.  Specifically the issue is that sometimes, even when 8megapixel mode is checked in the settings, the app would still only take 5mp pictures as evidenced in the picture info.  So I emailed the developer and this is the response I got.

"The phone has plenty of RAM, but the RAM available to a single application is much lower.  We are now working on optimizing our algorithms to fit that limit."

I emailed back this morning asking for clarification, and whether the D3 RAM availability to applications was lower than a comparably RAM'd phone such as the Nexus S or HTC Evo.  Still waiting on a response.

BUT, if this is true...what in God's green earth has Moto done to this phone's RAM allocation???  Seriously???  For my own research I checked out a friend's Evo and discovered that in the running applications setting, she has about 200 mb of free RAM available all the time, and not to be sexist, but she's a girl and has no clue about settings, tinkering or anything like that.  To contrast, the D3 seems to hover around 130mb, but then after a day or two will drop down to 80, and I've seen it as low as the high 30's.  This, IMHO, doesn't seem to be very good memory management.  HTC Sense (which I assume is the homescreen) is 30mb compared to 40mb for Moto's offering.  For those keeping score at home, Launcher Pro takes around 20mb.

Sooo....perhaps Moto should email or call HTC up and beg them for a set of instructions on how to program home launchers and how to properly manage RAM on a phone.  Cause by the looks of it (and I'm no developer) Moto has done ANOTHER poor job of coding software.  We can't get Google's engineers in here fast enough!  Google!!! Please save this phone!!!  The OMAP4430 deserves better!!!

Options

61 Posts

06-02-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Re: Application RAM useage, straight from a developers mouth...

2011-08-22, 16:16 PM

I'm going to guess that this is part of the cause for the reboots as well.

Remember the droid 2? IT did/has that problem (last I knew).  The min ram is set incorrectly.

Also I noticed that the ratio's for the antenna are off again (hence the lousy battery life).

Moto SHOULD actually look @ some of the customizations (not going to start linking stuff due to rules) and take a note from the developers on what maximizes and optimizes the phone.

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 13

2011-08-22, 20:45 PM

I didn't keep track of RAM with my DX but I checked a few times with this phone as the home screen is slow. I was surprised to see my available RAM is usually one 70-80mB.

Options

144 Posts

11-09-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 13

2011-08-22, 22:56 PM

Mine is typically 104 - 120 Mb free and I don't see screen draw lag much anymore now that I am using Launcher Pro instead of the Blur launcher.

Options

540 Posts

12-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2011-08-23, 10:00 AM

Even with a different home launcher there's no viable reason RAM should be eaten up by bloatware that's never even been opened on my device. This alone would probably drastically increase battery life for everyone and stop with these reboots with this mythical update that has yet to fix these problems. Its the DROID2 series all over again...

Options

162 Posts

07-11-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2011-08-23, 19:19 PM

Hopefully, now that Google owns Moto, we can get some decent software programmers in here and clean up this disaster of a programming effort.  Anyone know what the Nexus S keeps free in terms of RAM?  With the same amount of RAM as the D3, you would think someone at Moto would be smart enough to use that as a template, cause that phone flies, as does the Evo.  Amazing that 2 phones with half the processor is spanking Moto's butt when it comes to lagginess...

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 7 of 13

2011-08-23, 21:27 PM

If you think Motorola is slow with software updates, its lightning compared to Google.

aggiechase37 wrote:

Hopefully, now that Google owns Moto, we can get some decent software programmers in here and clean up this disaster of a programming effort.

Options

540 Posts

12-18-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2011-08-24, 1:35 AM

Plus the deal hasn't went through yet and I believe Google agreed not to interfer with what Motorola is doing. Doesn't mean they won't help with matters like software updates to devices with bugs but that's pretty much all we have for right now. Hopefully as this acquisition will motivate Motorola to stay on top of these problems.

Options

162 Posts

07-11-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2011-08-24, 17:17 PM

I think Google will eventually "interfere."  No way they wouldn't.  No way they are going to stand by and watch Moto's laggy launchers and poor memory management turn into bad press/reviews.  If I was Google, I would have software engineers at Moto right now a) spanking them for past bad behavior b) teaching them how to program for Android and c) getting rid of the incompetents.

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 13

2011-08-24, 17:31 PM

You made no mention of how your phone is configured and what widgets, if any, you have running.  I used to run seven screens (GO Launcher EX) full of widgets for everthing from weather to news, calendar, agenda, sports, e-mail, podcasts and the like.  I used to have roughly 100mb of RAM consistently available.  I removed most of the widgets (using shortcuts instead to open the apps rather than have the widgets constantly "listening"), reduced the number of screens to three and gained consistently 50mb over what I had previously with no configuration changes.  Yes, I miss the functionality and visual appeal of the widgets, but the apps open quickly now anyway and I no longer have a need to scroll through endless screens to impress anyone.  Simpler works for me now. - MarkC

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms