Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveDROID 3 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

162 Posts

07-11-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 11 of 13

Re: Application RAM useage, straight from a developers mouth...

2011-08-24, 17:48 PM

I use LP, 5 screens, 8 widgets total, and a couple shortcuts to friends and bookmarks.  All the widgets I use are system or blur widgets.  That's it.  LP says it's using about 20mb, much lower than the 40 that Moto uses.  I also use a 100kb static wallpaper from Zedge.

Anyway, when I first start up the phone it will say something like 150 to as high as 190 mb of RAM free.  After a day or two it will drop like a rock.  I've seen it down in the 30's.  Seems to me that this phone needs around 100mb of free RAM to function well. 

Anyway, the point is, that just based on what I read from that developer email, somehow Moto has managed to hamstring the amount of apps available specifically to applications. 

Moto basically admits that they have done a poor job with Android memory management.  THEY INCLUDED A TASK KILLER!!!!  Translation: "I plead guilty your honor."

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 12 of 13

2011-08-24, 20:42 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you about the 100mb threshold of RAM needed for the phone to operate. But, that seems to be the case for Android in general and not just the D3.  I also have an LG Revolution and a co-worker has a Samsung Charge and they don't operate any better with less than 100mb.  - MarkC

Options

162 Posts

07-11-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 13

2011-08-24, 22:46 PM

Well, the original point of this thread was to try to figure out if Moto has done something to RAM available to apps, not free RAM available.  I don't know if those are one in the same though.  But it would be certainly interesting to figure out, and to see what kind of RAM is free/available to apps on the Nexus...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms