Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID 4 by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 7

Can I delete email from phone but leave on PC?

2012-04-23, 16:32 PM

Recently switched from Blackberry to Droid 4 and set up a corporate sync account.  Is there a way to delete email messages from my phone without them also being deleted from my PC inbox?  I like to hang on to email on my PC but don't need it cluttering up my phone.  I could do this on my BB.

Options

164 Posts

07-23-2010

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I delete email from phone but leave on PC?

2012-04-23, 20:02 PM

No, unfortunately, that is not possible due to the protocol we are using (Exchange ActiveSync), which is different from the one used by Blackberry.

Options

4 Posts

04-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2012-04-23, 20:14 PM

Thanks for the response, but allow me to say that I really dislike this!  I also have a pop mail account on the phone and it does not delete mail from the server when I delete it from the phone.  I never thought I would miss my BB but I'm seriously considering taking back this phone.

Options

164 Posts

07-23-2010

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2012-04-23, 20:25 PM

Regarding "Delete locally", we get it.

Regarding the POP account, doesn't the service support IMAP as well? The POP protocol, by definition, is meant to be a one-way sync: after you download a new email, no following actions will be synced back to the server.  May I ask you what the service provider is?

If IMAP is not an option,  did you know you could use Gmail to sync it?  That's what I do with a POP account I own, and it really works well:

1) In Gmail, go to Mail settings (See the upper right icon, tap on it, then choose Settings)

2) Choose Accounts and Import tab

3) Under Check mail from other accounts (using POP3) you will see a link "Add a POP3 email account you own" and follow the steps.

Options

341 Posts

02-06-2010

United States

20 Signins

409 Page Views

• Views: 409
  • Message 5 of 7

2012-04-23, 21:20 PM

When you refer to your "PC Inbox" and your corporate account, are you using an Exchange server? I have a D4 and my own Exchange server. I did not like the stock Corporate Sync app, so I installed the Touchdown app from the Google store. It has a "Don't delete emails on server" choice, although I do not use it.

Other points about Touchdown:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d74eb116fa

http://www.nitrodesk.com/default.aspx

Gregg Hill

Options

4 Posts

04-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2012-04-23, 23:41 PM

Regarding the POP account, doesn't the service support IMAP as well? The POP protocol, by definition, is meant to be a one-way sync: after you download a new email, no following actions will be synced back to the server.  May I ask you what the service provider is?

If IMAP is not an option,  did you know you could use Gmail to sync it?  That's what I do with a POP account I own, and it really works well:

I'm not a fan of gmail and anyway, I'm fine with the pop account. 

@gregg -yes, I'm using Corporate Sync.  I'll look into Touchdown - I'm already using ANOTHER (pricey) app to be able to sync my pop account with Outlook.  Yet another reason I'm already sick of this phone.  Thanks to you both for the info.

Options

341 Posts

02-06-2010

United States

20 Signins

409 Page Views

• Views: 409
  • Message 7 of 7

2012-04-24, 3:19 AM

If your company supports PO3 access, then you could just use that and not use ActiveSync. Or, not worry about having mail on the phone. I sync my last two weeks of email, all contacts, last month of calendar, all tasks. Now with my Exchange 2010 and Touchdown, I can finally sync Outlook's Notes...but I have never used them, so that one will go unused.

Gregg

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms