cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe60091
What's DOS?
Views: 5,790
Message 1 of 5

How to attach external microphone for video?

I've tried to connect an external microphone so I can use my Droid 4 to record high quality video podcasts, but the video apps don't appear to allow input from anything other than the internal microphone. Even a bluetooth microphone. Other droids allow allow high quality microphones. The microphone adapters that work on the Samsung Droid Charge (and the iphone) don't work on Droid 4. It appears to have a different microphone wiring configuration. Can anybody from Motorola confirm this or make suggestions on how we can use this amazing phone to make equally amazing videos?

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to attach external microphone for video?

The headphone jack should have provisions for stereo (so two separate contacts), a microphone input contact and the case ground.  From what you are describing your adapter is not making full contact when seated inside of the phone, but without actually seeing it, it's difficult to tell.   --- Dan

Nyarlathotep
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

Old thread, but to save others (who found this using a Google search) some frustration:

"SoundAbout" can "force" applications to use a wired headset with mic. 

I use this to split the jack into separate headphone and microphone outputs.

arthur_uscg
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5

I have been looking for a splitter like that.  Combine a set of in the ear head buds with a throat mic and you have a great high noise communication system.

Highlighted
Sconn75
What's DOS?
Views: 59
Message 5 of 5

I have z2 force. I have been trying to use my takstar boom mic but still can't get it working. I plug the supplied USB mic adapter, then the splitter like mentioned, then the mic into the mic side of y cable. The mic has a 3 pin connector. Still nothing. Keeps using internal mic. Headphones work fine. Even tried open camera app as mentioned with external mic option on. Any ideas? I have to missing something. I watched tons of videos and did did research...