Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID BIONIC™ by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 48

Moving from Droid X to Bionic, Any Thoughts?

2012-02-26, 20:13 PM

Hello Bionic owners'

Verizon has finally agreed to replace my Moto Droid X by allowing my to renew my contract early.

My Droid X was plagued with issues from day 1 of ownership.  I had it for just over a year and it finally went further south after the February update.

I went into a Verizon Wireless store, as instructed by Verizon phone support, to look at all the brands and models of phones.  Some of the phones I was considering were the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound and the LG Spectrum.

I looked hard at all three of them.  The LG and Samsung had issues that I discovered while just playing with them in the store.  The LG sound quality on a call was completely abysmal.  The HTC overheated while I was using it.  The Samsung would only ocassionally switch from portrait to landscape mode when changing the orientation of the phone.

After looking at those three models among others, I came to the conclusion that the other brands of phones are just not built as well as Motorola phones.  The feel, look texture - and I could go on and on...

Verizon phone support called me back, as they said they would, in 2 days and asked me which phone I wanted to pick to renew my contract with.  I chose the Bionic.

Even though the new phones have the 720p screens and I was plagued with problems with my Droid X in the past, I felt the Bionic was a good fit to what I wanted.

I would welcome and appreciate any input from Bionic owners' as to their opinions of their ownership experience.  I have read some real horror stories, like high pitched noise in the headphone output, WiFi drops and worst of all 4G & 3G drops.  I also read the thread about the latest update for the Bionic, and most owners agree that the update was a success, so I based my purchase mainly on that current information.

I really loved my Droid X and am hoping that the Bionic will be a faster, working,  4G version of my Droid X.

It is due here tomorrow.

Thanks to all who are kind enough to take the time and reply.

Options

176 Posts

10-21-2011

United States of America

107 Signins

659 Page Views

• Views: 659
  • Message 2 of 48

Re: Moving from Droid X to Bionic, Any Thoughts?

2012-02-26, 21:06 PM

I have a few initial thoughts for you on this but please remember this is completely subjective and each user will have their own opinion on it.  I am NOT a big fan of Samsung, LG or HTC phones these days for various reasons (Samsung to me has always been mid road performence but have great resolution, LG is just too plasticy for me and  they feel like toys and not phones, plus I have never been real thrilled witht he sound quality on these. HTC usually has good sound quality, but they are battery hogs and I have never had one that i have gotten more than 5 hours of light use on.

That said, Any phone you look at will have some issues on the 4G network because they are just so new. The Bionic itself has had issues and many times I wanted to take mine and run it over, but, I stuck with it and after the .902 update, have had very few issues with it which puts it right in the top functioning phones I have seen or used.  I think with the current software (.902) and not too many off th ewall apps, you should be just fine with a Bionic.  If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I went through on my Bionic, I would still choose the Bionic today.

The other 2 phones I can talk about here (as I do have experience with them) are the Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx.  Both are identical phones with the exception that the Maxx has twice the battery of the Razr, is a little thicker in the lower portion of the phone but is solid.  My son started with the Razr and with only 1 app on it when he would get home from school, his phone was blinking red as the battery was below 15% charge.  That in itself was pretty sad since he would go to school and call me when he arrived (about a 10 second call) then the phone would sit idle for the next 6.5 hours and he would call me to tell me he is on his way home (anther 10 second call) and the phone would discharge all that sitting idle.  We had it optimized as well turning the brightness down, changing it to CDMA Only so it would not search for 4G, Turning OFF Wi Fi and GPS, Changing the settings for Data sync to only sync while the phone was in use.  Changed the Razr for a Razr Maxx after 6 days of giving it a chance and multiple calls to Verizon.

The first day on the Maxx, my son arrived home at his usual time and had 93% battery left so I have him call everyone he knew, play games, watch videos, take and look at pictures etc... and 6 hours later and with Heavy use, his phone was still above 50% life left.

The experience with the first Razr could have been due to a faulty device itself however with Verizons policy on changing phones, I would have had a terrible time exchanging a second one if I tried the Razr again and had the same results so I opted to spring for the larger battery itself and have had no issues.

Betweenthe Bionic and the Maxx, I would say go look at them, feel them and go with whichever one feels better to you.  For me, (and I do have the option rightnow of switching my bionic to a Maxx) I am keeping the Bionic.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 48

2012-02-26, 21:49 PM

brian1264 said:

I have a few initial thoughts for you on this but please remember this is completely subjective and each user will have their own opinion on it.  I am NOT a big fan of Samsung, LG or HTC phones these days for various reasons (Samsung to me has always been mid road performence but have great resolution, LG is just too plasticy for me and  they feel like toys and not phones, plus I have never been real thrilled witht he sound quality on these. HTC usually has good sound quality, but they are battery hogs and I have never had one that i have gotten more than 5 hours of light use on.

That said, Any phone you look at will have some issues on the 4G network because they are just so new. The Bionic itself has had issues and many times I wanted to take mine and run it over, but, I stuck with it and after the .902 update, have had very few issues with it which puts it right in the top functioning phones I have seen or used.  I think with the current software (.902) and not too many off th ewall apps, you should be just fine with a Bionic.  If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I went through on my Bionic, I would still choose the Bionic today.

The other 2 phones I can talk about here (as I do have experience with them) are the Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx.  Both are identical phones with the exception that the Maxx has twice the battery of the Razr, is a little thicker in the lower portion of the phone but is solid.  My son started with the Razr and with only 1 app on it when he would get home from school, his phone was blinking red as the battery was below 15% charge.  That in itself was pretty sad since he would go to school and call me when he arrived (about a 10 second call) then the phone would sit idle for the next 6.5 hours and he would call me to tell me he is on his way home (anther 10 second call) and the phone would discharge all that sitting idle.  We had it optimized as well turning the brightness down, changing it to CDMA Only so it would not search for 4G, Turning OFF Wi Fi and GPS, Changing the settings for Data sync to only sync while the phone was in use.  Changed the Razr for a Razr Maxx after 6 days of giving it a chance and multiple calls to Verizon.

The first day on the Maxx, my son arrived home at his usual time and had 93% battery left so I have him call everyone he knew, play games, watch videos, take and look at pictures etc... and 6 hours later and with Heavy use, his phone was still above 50% life left.

The experience with the first Razr could have been due to a faulty device itself however with Verizons policy on changing phones, I would have had a terrible time exchanging a second one if I tried the Razr again and had the same results so I opted to spring for the larger battery itself and have had no issues.

Betweenthe Bionic and the Maxx, I would say go look at them, feel them and go with whichever one feels better to you.  For me, (and I do have the option rightnow of switching my bionic to a Maxx) I am keeping the Bionic.

Thanks Brian1264,

I really appreciate the inpput.  I too wanted a RAZR MAXX, but for some reason unknown to me, Verizon said that could not be one of my choices for the early contract renewal.

I am very happy to hear thet the .902 upgrade has vastly improved your Bionic!  Before I chose the Bionic, I read the .902 upgrade thread on this forum and mostly everybody was happy with the improvements.

The last thing I would want is to get stuck with another phone like my Droid X that lost data all the time.  I had to do a reboot or airplane mode toggle to get it back.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your ownership experience.  Great detail!

Options

108 Posts

02-06-2011

United States

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 4 of 48

2012-02-27, 2:10 AM

I have had the Bionic from the first day of its release...picked it up on that Thursday and on Monday they gave me a new one.  The first one started the BSOD (Black Screen of Death) and random reboots all weekend.  My second one had only one BSOD and two random reboots since I received it months ago...my main complaint was losing data connectivity; I live in a 4G LTE area and it would take forever to go to 3G and back to 4G, usually I had to go into Airport mode and then turn it off and it would eventually go into 4G.  Since the latest update, I do not have that problem...I don't know that I ever lost 4G except when I was in a 3G area...once or twice Verizon had a couple outings and, of course, I lost it then through no fault of my phone!

You will be very happy with your Bionic...it is a solid phone, fast, smooth, and beautiful screen (in my opinion)...I bought the extended battery on day one and I'm glad I did.  I have MANY apps on my phone and yet it still runs as smooth as butter.  The speaker phone works great and the call quality is awesome.  The dock is a must for night time charging and to use as a clock/alarm.  The mobile dock is a must for in the car - with google maps, it is the best navigation you could ask for.  The camera works much better after the update, although I use the FX app.  I prefer Player Pro to the standard music app but, again, that is not the phone's fault.  ENJOY and let us know what you think after you put it through its paces.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 48

2012-02-27, 2:18 AM

corymcnutt

Thanks very much. This is exactly the kind of information that I am looking for. Very nice detail and specifics.

I really apprecate you taking the time to reply.

Options

56 Posts

11-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 48

2012-02-27, 16:32 PM

I am not going to get very detailed here as the other two Bionic users have already done so.

The Bionic has also been a very good phone for me. I upgraded from the original Droid so the processing speed improvement was night and day.

I purchased my Bionic maybe a month after the original release and did not seem to experience many of the data issuses that some other people that frequent this site have experienced.

I would definitely recommend the Bionic for your upgrade. Especially now that they are getting cheaper by the minute!

Options

18 Posts

02-02-2008

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 48

2012-02-27, 16:40 PM

My wife had a Droid X and recenetly upgraded, so seeing the two side by side I think you will love the Bionic. I love mine! I think the others have covered it pretty well, so I think its an awesome upgrade for what its worth. 

Options

108 Posts

02-06-2011

United States

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 8 of 48

2012-02-27, 16:52 PM

One thing I forgot to tell you...my niece just bought a new Bionic at the Verizon store 2 weeks ago and it DID NOT have the newest O/S on it even though they told her it did.  I just went to "About Phone," and checked for updates, and it loaded the newest one...so be sure you check the O/S out after you purchase it.

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 48

2012-02-27, 17:01 PM

I also have a Droid X and really like that phone!  The one thing I find that I miss all of the time is the larger screen of the Droid X, otherwise there have been so many technology advances since the introduction of the DX that there is no comparison between the two.  The dual core processor, the front facing camera and fantastic new firmware for the Bionic camera and the 4G LTE capability are the items that immediately come to mind in my use of this excellent smart phone.  That are many other features far too numerous to list in the confines of this post, but I believe you'll really be very happy with the new Motorola phone you have acquired.     --- Dan

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 48

2012-02-27, 17:50 PM
 Thanks to all who have taken the time to offer their experience with the Bionic.

It arrived here at work a little over 3 hours ago. It's over in the lab still in the shipping box.

I can't wait to activate it when I get home tonight.

I'll keep you all posted with my thoughts on the Bionic.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms