cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ashley123-1
What's DOS?
Views: 643
Message 1 of 3

BIONIC: TEXT MESSAGES WIPED OFF PHONE, ETC...

Hi,

I wanted to share my recent experience with my Bionic. I purchased the Bionic when it was released September 2011. I still own the same phone without a scratch with even even some of the original stickers on the back that my silicon cover covers. My phone could easily be sold with a "Like Brand New" or "Mint" type condition. I wanted to point out my major pro's and cons with this phone aswell as describing the most horrific phone experience that I had ever had with my text messages disappearing from my phone in a snap.

Pro's

Screen & Phone Durability

Battery Life was cool and battery didn't begin to give me any issues until 2.5 years of having the phone.

Cons

For some reason the VZW Contact Backup Assistance does not work the best on this phone. Many times had number switched up and I was uncertain if VZW was overriding the errors into my contacts (I kind of still don't know that, I really don't figure it out until I try to reach out to a contact). I'm not sure if this is a Motorola or VZW issue but I wanted to bring it up.

Screen Quality - Sending a text message was certainly not fluid. Sometimes I pressed one button and another one pushed elsewhere. That's when you begin to envy Iphone users.

Phone seemed to get super hot when charging or working hard. Also, when charging if you ever used it at the same time it would do some funky stuff. Sometimes to just get things done I would just unplug my charger because my phone would act up (One example: phone automatically sending a text message that I was typing when I went no where near the send button) when it was charging at the same time.

****MAJOR CON OF ALL WHICH HAS RUINED MY EXPERIENCE WITH MOTOROLA PRODUCTS***

After having my phone for about 2.5 years, about 1 month ago I happened to go into my text messages one evening and realized that my phone had wiped out every single text message that I had! I was floored, as the morning of the same day I saw all my text messages there. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 2.5 YRS OF TEXT MESSAGES. SOME THAT WERE REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME THAT I HAD GONE OUT OF MY WAY AND LOCKED THE MESSAGES TO PREVENT THEM FROM BEING DELETED FROM THE NORMAL CLEAN UPS THAT OCCURRED WITH THE MAXIMUM MESSAGES PER CONTACT THAT MY PHONE ALLOWED. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN????????????? I was so distraught. I ended up crying on the phone while talking with the Verizon tech support team after it had dawned on me that this really just happened. I had important text that were sent (some with sentimental messages, others with necessary info that I needed). I can never get that back. VZW's cloud was already on my phone but unfortunately the Bionic was not eligible for the version that backed up Text messages, it only backed up pics, music, etc... I am furious about this and I sincerely hoped that my messages would just up and appear but this has yet to happen and I have come to terms with this the best I can.

As far as the reason I believe this happend, a few months before the text message wipe-out occurred, I began to get alerts that my device storage was reaching its capacity. Although, I should've investigated on how to free up storage and transfer more to my SD card, I did not and I take accountability for that. However, my opinion is that the phone's way of respond to that probably due to poor programming was to delete the text messages as they kept coming and kept coming which only increased my device storage usage. After my texts were wiped out, I no longer received these capacity alerts and when I checked my storage space on my phone it had a huge amount of space available.

Even with the other con's I would have still considered another Motorola phone, however due to this major system error that was completely unacceptable I will never return to Motorola to obtain a new phone as who knows what will happen next. I never knew that my text messages could be wiped out like that. I didn't even have a button on my phone in my messaging to "Delete All." However, my phone managed to do it in the matter of me waking it up and seeing them no longer there.

You all should do some serious research on why this occurred and prevent things like this from occurring in the future products.

Since the text message wipe out, I also began to have issues with my phone just cutting off with 2-3 minutes from me unplugging it from being fully charged. The thing with that is that I'm unsure if it is a battery issue or not as my original battery went out on me about 4 months back and I went to VZW to buy a new one but they did not offer any and recommend that I buy from a 3rd party like Amazon or a tech website (I didn't think to call Motorola nor was I told). I ordered from a credible tech website and the battery seemed to be working fine but then the phone began to just shut off when it was not connected to a charger even if it was fully charged. VZW is sending me a new phone and I was told for the first time about contacting Motorola to see about getting a new battery to see if it was my phone or the battery itself. I called Motorola and you all were accommodating in shipping me a free battery for my Bionic. I will try it in my existing phone for one day and see how my phone reacts to determine which it is, and if it is indeed a battery issue I will ship VZW back the new phone they sent to me. I should get both in about 4-5 days.

Ashley

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 3

Re: BIONIC: TEXT MESSAGES WIPED OFF PHONE, ETC...

Anyone in the tech industry will tell you that backing up important data is crucial. I am really sorry that you lost your texts. That would be devastating to me as well.

For the future, there are app that will help you with this problem. Backup Pro will backup your texts. It is free for 30 days to try out. There are free apps that would allow you to send your texts to your Gmail account as well. I suggest that you try to protect your important data. 

If you need more help in finding something that will work for you just ask. We will help you as much as we can. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Ashley123-1
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 3

Re: BIONIC: TEXT MESSAGES WIPED OFF PHONE, ETC...

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely download back-up apps going forward or forward important texts to my email account.

***Also, an update to the last paragraph in my initial post*** It was indeed the battery ordered from the 3rd party. It ended up swelling and I couldn't use my phone for a few days. The new battery that Motorola sent to me works perfectly. I returned the new replacement phone that Verizon sent as there was no need for it.

Also, with my phone I never have noticed a way to drop the 3rd party during a 3-way call to return the original caller. This has been one of the most frustrating things with this smart phone as I remember with older non-smart phones I just pressed the green phone button and it dropped the 3rd line. On this phone when you "Merge" phone calls you can't officially drop the 3rd person that was added to the 2-way call.

Thanks