Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Moto Emeritus
Message 1 of 542 (20 Views)

Post Bionic ICS problems/issues in this thread

If you are having problems after the Ice Cream Sandwich OTA install on your phone, please post them here.   Thanks.   --- Dan

UPDATE:

Here are a couple of suggestions that have helped with specific upgrade problems reported:

• If you get the following message: "An update is currently being downloaded.You will be notified when the download is complete," and it doesn't clear up...

• Toggle Airplane mode on and off -- it should start again.

• If your Bionic is stuck on "Upgrading Media database"...

• Most importantly, be patient!  If you have many media files on your phone, especially the external microSDHC, the process can be quite long, i.e. a few hours!

• Pull the SD card -- your upgrade should complete and then you can put the card back in.

• If you continue to have problems...

• Main screenMenu > Manage apps >All  > Media storage >clear data.

• Launch "My music" - it may take a few minutes to load music

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 542 (20 Views)

Re: Post Bionic ICS problems/issues in this thread

I'm getting occasional freezes on it.  After it freezes for a few minutes it'll restart on its own.  Before I had issues with updating or downloading new apps, where it would hang on the 100% downloaded mark and not move on to install.  I tried a battery pull and that helped speed things up a bit but every once in awhile I'm still getting a freeze

Moto Emeritus
Message 3 of 542 (20 Views)

obsidianfirefly said:

I'm getting occasional freezes on it.  After it freezes for a few minutes it'll restart on its own.  Before I had issues with updating or downloading new apps, where it would hang on the 100% downloaded mark and not move on to install.  I tried a battery pull and that helped speed things up a bit but every once in awhile I'm still getting a freeze

View original

Are you now running the Bionic ICS OTA that was pushed to your phone?  I need to clarify before I can give you some suggestions.    --- Dan

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 542 (20 Views)

Yep, I woke up to it this morning.  I had signed up for the soak test but I never got any e-mail after that telling me where I should post issues so I thought it might be fine to post here.

802.11n
Message 5 of 542 (20 Views)

I found doing a cache clear and/or FDR after an update dramatically eliminates most issues that arise with software upgrades. Something to keep in mind if you guys run intova lot of bugs.

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 542 (20 Views)

Swoops said:

I found doing a cache clear and/or FDR after an update dramatically eliminates most issues that arise with software upgrades. Something to keep in mind if you guys run intova lot of bugs.

View original

Thanks, I am definitely considering it.  It seems like it'll be the best option to make sure my transition is smooth.  I just hate doing it since this is my 5th replacement Bionic in the past month so I sorta get on edge whenever I have to go through the process of getting my phone back to how I want it.

Moto Emeritus
Message 7 of 542 (20 Views)

obsidianfirefly said:

Yep, I woke up to it this morning.  I had signed up for the soak test but I never got any e-mail after that telling me where I should post issues so I thought it might be fine to post here.

View original

You *should* be able to perform a forced reboot on your phone now (a nice ICS feature, BTW, I haven't received it yet for the Bionic so I assume it works the way it does on other ICS phones I have tested), by concurrently depressing the power on button and the volume down button.  In the first few seconds your phone will capture a screen shot and in approximately 10 seconds it will perform a forced reboot.  This is great for eliminating any volatile files  and file fragments that may be left over after an install.  I generally always use a FDR as a last resort, but, having said that, sometimes it is the only solution.    --- Dan

What's DOS?
Message 8 of 542 (20 Views)

DansDroid said:

obsidianfirefly said:

View original

You *should* be able to perform a forced reboot on your phone now (a nice ICS feature, BTW, I haven't received it yet for the Bionic so I assume it works the way it does on other ICS phones I have tested), by concurrently depressing the power on button and the volume down button.  In the first few seconds your phone will capture a screen shot and in approximately 10 seconds it will perform a forced reboot.  This is great for eliminating any volatile files  and file fragments that may be left over after an install.  I generally always use a FDR as a last resort, but, having said that, sometimes it is the only solution.    --- Dan

View original

So I tried that and was able to take a screenshot but it would not reboot.  I looked it up on google and found that sometimes you can hold volume down first and then power and it'll reboot also but that didn't work either.  I then tried both volume up AND down AND power and that seemed to work.  I'll keep you updated on how the device works after that

Moto Emeritus
Message 9 of 542 (20 Views)

obsidianfirefly said:

DansDroid said:

obsidianfirefly said:

View original

View original

So I tried that and was able to take a screenshot but it would not reboot.  I looked it up on google and found that sometimes you can hold volume down first and then power and it'll reboot also but that didn't work either.  I then tried both volume up AND down AND power and that seemed to work.  I'll keep you updated on how the device works after that

View original

Thanks for the fast feed back.  I'm surprised that they changed the forced reboot procedure.  Are you sure you concurrently depressed both the power on button and the volume down button for at least 10 seconds to initiate the forced reboot?  It's entirely possible, of course, that they have changed the procedure from the other ICS devices I have tested.   Appreciate any future feedback on the results of the forced reboot.   --- Dan

What's DOS?
Message 10 of 542 (20 Views)

DansDroid said:

Thanks for the fast feed back.  I'm surprised that they changed the forced reboot procedure.  Are you sure you concurrently depressed both the power on button and the volume down button for at least 10 seconds to initiate the forced reboot?  It's entirely possible, of course, that they have changed the procedure from the other ICS devices I have tested.   Appreciate any future feedback on the results of the forced reboot.   --- Dan

View original

I just tried it again.  I only get a screenshot when I do power and volume down, I held it for about 20 seconds.  I just tried the power and both volume keys and it worked again.  I think it's better this way anyways since you won't be forced to take a screenshot if all you want is to reboot.