cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,437
Message 11 of 32

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call.

AndroSensor will work to check your proximity sensor. When you open it up, scroll down til you see PROXIMITY and then just put your finger by the Motorola at the top of the screen. You should see it change from 39.4 in to 1.2 in when ever you get close to the phone. If it doesn't change at all then the proximity sensor could be bad. Please let us know the results.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Drusafa
Token Ring
Message 12 of 32

Thanks Joel. Proximity sensor is reading good. Just like you said it shows 39.4 in and goes to 1.2 in when I put my hand in front of it. I will try more tests tomarrow if it happens again.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 13 of 32

Have you tried to make sure you answer all your calls with your hands at the bottom of the screen to make sure that it isn't you accidentally getting your fingers or hand by the proximity sensor? Anytime you know you will need to use the dialpad I like to make sure that it is in speakermode. The proximity sensor can be a bear sometimes.

I also noticed that when I was playing around with AndroSensor that if I put my finger in front of the sensor and pull it away very quickly that I can sometimes get it to show the sensor as being triggered even though it isn't. In other words, the 1.2 in stays on the screen when in fact there is nothing in front of the sensor.

In this situation, the screen could be off and not get lit back up. This could be a bug. I think that more testing would have to be done to prove it one way or another. We need to keep working on this and exhaust all possible avenues, too.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 14 of 32

I have also done some testin while on the phone with voicemail. No matter what I did, I could not recreate the problem you are having. I tried for a good 10 minutes and through about 4 or 5 calls to voicemail and it has worked perfectly every time. 

I think what I was seeing in AndroSensor was the fault of the app and not the sensor

Drusafa
Token Ring
Message 15 of 32

So far so good today. I have been on the phone several times and the screen behaved like it should. It could have been the combination of a new tolerance on the sensor and a dirty screen protector. I guess time will tell for sure.

proclus13
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 32

My phone display went completely blank and the phone ignored all input, including the power button, when a call was made or received.  The only way to get the screen back was if the phone call was terminated by the other caller or the battery was removed.  After a rather frustrating exercise in futility searching for answers on Google I ran across a clue.  Apparently this does not occur when a Bluetooth headset is connected.  So I played around for a while and discovered that when the "Auto answer on headset" (found in Phone/Settings) is set to OFF and Bluetooth is ON  the phone doesn't freeze.  Let's hope this serious bug is fixed soon!

wilsodw
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 32

A little different problem here, was watching CNN live tv, received a phone call, everything was fine when I disconnected the call, it went back to the video, and would not power down. Had to do a battery pull! This is a first for me. BTW the screen just kept flickering like a strobe light!

MackBionic
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 32

Same exact issue. This is not an isolated situation.  My screen will not turn on when I make or receive a phone call. No matter how many times I hit the power button or whether it's dark or light. I already tried a factory reset but it didn't fix the problem. Only when the call disconnects, hangs up, or removing the battery is the only way to get my phone screen on again. This happened right after the JB upgrade.  Clearly something was broken in the upgrade.  Never had this issue with ICS.

hjrw
Punch Card
Message 19 of 32

I am running JB.  Today I was on a very long call (over an hour) and suddenly the screen went blank and the phone was totally non-responsive.  Power button did nothing, touching screen, menu pads at bottom of screen, etc.  The call was proceeding well.  I was on BT.  I was unable to disconnect the call.  After the other party hung up, the phone remained dark and unresponsive.  I removed/replaced the battery and all was fine.  I am hoping that this is not a recurring issue.

In the past I have had an issue (running ICS) where if I needed to punch in some data, the numeric pad would appear but was not responsive for perhaps a dozen attempts.  Then it would accept input.  I am not sure if it was my swearing that made it work finally, or if it realized how frustrated I was and didn't want me to throw the phone on the ground.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have not seen this (yet) under JB for the past few weeks.

Drusafa
Token Ring
Message 20 of 32

Several days later and I still have not gotten the blank screen error again. I am hopeful that the good glass cleaning and replacement of the screen protector were the possible solution. Still for it to happen right after an update is an unlikely coincidence. It could be that the sensor tolerances were changed in JB and that is what set it off, and the cleaning/replacement has truly helped. I will report back if I get it again.