cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ts47
Token Ring
Views: 1,987
Message 1 of 9

Why would my screen lock up during a call?

My phone locked up/screen went black during a phonecall yesterday.  It was at night.  So, it was dark where I was.  I tried to access the screen.  It would produce a faint light, but would not let me access the screen, phone or any apps.  I was talking on a bluetooth headset at the time.  Normally at the end of a call, I could hang up the phone by pushing a button on my headset.  That wouldn't work either.  The only way I could hang up the phone was to pull the battery.

Has anyone experieced this problem before?  Any idea how to diagnose the problem or stop it from happening again?  Or, is this just a BSOD (black screen of death where phone locks up and requires a battery pull) that happened while I was in a phone call?

Thanks for the help in advance!

ts47
Token Ring
Message 2 of 9

Re: Why would my screen lock up during a call?

To anyone reading this post, I did call VZW tech support about the above problem.  Their comment was to wait for an "Impending" software update coming from Motorola.  If my problem above continues, they would look at a replacement device for me.  I'm hoping this means we really do have an imminent update coming from Motorola.  It is also good to know that VZW IS standing behind the phones they sell.

If anyone has any experience with a phone lockup/black screen of death during a phone call like I described above, I would still like to hear about it.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 9

I have seen this on my OG Droid a couple of years ago. It only happened a few times to me in the time I had the phone, though. It wasn't too much of an inconvenience. Unless this happens a lot, I don't think that this is a major problem. hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

russ18
Punch Card
Message 4 of 9

My Bionic just started locking up during a call, and the call gets dropped. Happened 4 times yesterday. Had to pull battery several times.

stef71
Token Ring
Message 5 of 9

A comment: People say that Froyo and Gingerbread are suffient by themselves in handling memory resources, but my experience on a Samsung Intercept runnning Eclair, and then Froyo, and my Motorola Triumph running Froyo (I know it's limited) has been, flakies like this are usually because of low-memory conditions - and with everyone running an ill-constrained set of 3rd party add-ons/apps, just one poorly behaved app, over time is enough to cause problems like this.

I think periodically (maybe every three days) powering down your phone completely and back up will help greatly to improve both responsiveness and reliability of our phones.

I also move everything I can to the SD card. Perhaps the Bionic has a secondary memory resource to park applications besides the SD card. I'm not sure - regardless, after downloading apps, be conscious of where they park themselves.

While others say I should not have to, in addition to the above, I will run 1Tap Cache Cleaner and clean the caches, and Advanced Task Manager (and kill programs I am not using).

Somewhere I have read people having alog files that amass on their devices that they have started deleting.

In this regard, I think the Apple mechanism for approving 3rd party apps and vetting them is superior - it enforces good behavior in the context of the OS. Then again, with the iPhones, the OS is the same across all devices. There isn't a disperate collection of OS versions and updates. That's also got to negatively impact the Android developer community.

ts47
Token Ring
Message 6 of 9

It sounds like the answer to the question is, it's not a problem unless it becomes a problem.  Meaning... One lockup during a phonecall is not a big deal.  Multiple lockups or continuing frequent lockups would require further investigation.

@russ18, Are your problems continuing?  Or, was it a one day thing.  My problem was two days ago now.  I had one BSOD and the one during the phonecall.  So far, I haven't had any more problems.

ts47
Token Ring
Message 7 of 9

Oh, and thanks to everyone for the input!!

ts47
Token Ring
Message 8 of 9

Just to close this thread... I am happy to say the .902 update appears to have permanently fixed this problem for me.

The only thing I've had to do/problem I've had since the update is clearing the cache for some of the games I've been playing.  I had the Angry Birds lockup problem that a few people have mentioned.  Going to applications>manage applications>then finding and clearing the cache for the proplematic app appears to have permanetly solved that problem.

Man1954
Paper Tape
Views: 1,720
Message 9 of 9

I am getting very much annoyed  with screen off when in the call. I cannot open any of the applications .  I Cannot see  see whether the call ended or end the call. Simply  wait till it shows up 

my mobile warranty is up to April 1 this year.

can any one help me 

thanks mans