Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimcapraro
Punch Card
Views: 1,294
Message 1 of 7

unlock bootloader

My DROID BIONIC was paid off in May of 2014. I retired it in August 2013 when I purchased a DROID Ultra MAXX. I use still use the Bionic occasionally when I want to use my lapdock. How can I unlock the Bootloader. There are ROMs available that make the BIONIC faster and better. Now that my phone has is 18 months beyond my Verizon commitment I should be able to unlock the Bootloader. When I go to the Moto unlock page the Bionic is not listed, even though other phones of that vintage, such as the strip and DROID RAZR/RAZR maxx are. Why isn't the Bionic listed. How can I unlock the Bootloader?

Here is the link to the Motorola Bootloader unlock page:https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87215
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 7

Re: unlock bootloader

I have never seen Moto allow bootloader unlocking for phones that were sold as bootloader locked. I highly doubt that will ever happen, no matter how old it is. Sorry.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

jimcapraro
Punch Card
Message 3 of 7

The Droid Razrs are different? And, I believe there a legal ruling that phones beyond their contract have a right to have bootloader unlocked. I think that's why Motorola put up the boot loader unlocking portal to begin with.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 7

If they were a developer edition than the bootloader can be unlocked with Moto's blessing. There were some Droids that were released as DE versions. Hope this helps

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

jimcapraro
Punch Card
Message 5 of 7

Don't developer editions come with a bootloader already unlocked? Hence no need to offer and unlock process on the Motorola bootloader unlock portal.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 7

jimcapraro said:

Don't developer editions come with a bootloader already unlocked? Hence no need to offer and unlock process on the Motorola bootloader unlock portal.View original

No, they come locked just like all the other phones. You have to go out of your way to unlock them.

Abhi68
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

Mostly they are not locked but doing so would void your warranty.It also has a risk of bricking your phone.Try carefully by following steps.