Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID BIONIC™ by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

276 Posts

10-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 201 of 277

Re: How do you like the 5.9.902 update? Is your Bionic improved?

2012-02-24, 12:40 PM

Out of the box back in September the Bionic worked fine for me. No connection issues at all. Then .893 update came. That worked ok for a couple of weeks then the phone started having data drops all over the place! For me it broke what was not broken before.

I hdd .901 and it got much better again, but still had some occasional drop issues, but not nearly as bad. Then .902 and the phone once again became very reliable and stable, like it was before. I will also point out I live on eastern Long Island and there is NO 4G coverage here, so the phone was always set for CDMA only, so all my data experiences were strictly on the 3G network, just to rule out what many suspected was the 4G to 3G switch causing the problems. This was never the case for me. Oh...a shout out to the Montauk line LIRR commuter above! Howdy neighbor!

Now I just upgraded my phone two weeks ago to the D4, however, the Bionic is still in service on my wife's line. No issues for her in the last two weeks either. She just retired her D2 and she is absolutely loving the Bionic! I did too, but wanted the keyboard. Anyway. all seems fixed and stable on the Bionic so far to date!

Options

877 Posts

09-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 202 of 277

2012-02-24, 15:37 PM

alodar01 said:

But away from home...they are all equally good or bad...depending  I have lines with Verizon, att and tmo. As said many times before by others, it all depends on how it works for you. In my house, Verizon works best. Tmo and att tie for last. Away from home they are all equally good or bad, ...depending. The bionic brought me to Verizon. Well, no that's not true. The Xoom did. For me the Xoom worked well, so when the bionic launched I said what the heck. I can at times carry a tmo, Verizon and at&t phone around. Between the 3, there is little difference for me. Right now, side by side, I have the lumia 710 windows phone along side the bionic. I have 4 bars 4g and full wifi on the 710. The bionic is fluctuating between 4g and 3g, and the wifi is not sure it wants to play. The 710 is too cheap and too small, but runs nice. The bionic is the right size for me, and I thinks its purdy, but has taken to running on its own schedule. ICS is probably too far away to help, if it can help. I'll probably bite the bullet, pay the termination fee, and move on. Eye balling the lumia 900 series right now.

I'm running the bio and rez for myself and my wife and daughter are both using breakouts off of ebay for a 100 bucks

outright. If you want to compare on data handling and signal holding alone, those breakouts kill my bionic

(tested with all updates released) and the Rezound. The signal management is staggering on the breakout.

My wife uses hers 12 hours a day as her work internet modem and for the last 4 months, never has skipped a beat.

If you run speedtest on the phone the dang thing always runs faster down and up but ping is usually about 20ms slower.

For the cost off ebay I'd pick one up and give it a try, if you don't like it you can resell for what you paid for it.

Options

117 Posts

02-08-2011

United States

56 Signins

825 Page Views

• Views: 825
  • Message 203 of 277

2012-02-25, 10:45 AM

I THOUGHT the update really worked. I was WRONG. Yesterday in the middle of a customer phone call my Bionic decided to reboot. After I called him back we were in the middle of a credit card transaction (square) and I lost data. This was the last straw for me and my Bionic. I called Veizon and I will have a Razr Maxx on Monday. 

Options

22 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 204 of 277

2012-02-26, 6:05 AM
 i have had the update since the soak test, and I have to say the this updated has truely made my bionic the phone it should have been in the first place. Before the update my bionic would rarely have data while I was home, mind it is like that for most phones. After the update I have 4g most of the time while I am home.
Options

5 Posts

02-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 205 of 277

2012-02-26, 15:27 PM

Congratulations to the Big M.  Great Job!  I give hight praise to the engneers who coordinate this effort.  With all the good there is some detriment, Like, battery drain, oh well!  I will learn to live with it.  I am just thankful and feel very privledged to be able to use this device and learn as much as I can about it.  I am a convert from the old and in my research I decided that Motorola is the way togo.  I will be buying a xyboard 10.1 very soon.  I remain true to the device.

The Good!  stronger 4G / signal consistancy and stability

The Bad!  shortens the battery life.  Oh Well!

Have a good one.  Keep all this great info coming.

Options

218 Posts

09-23-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 206 of 277

2012-02-27, 22:34 PM

I am on days 20 since I received the update, and must say thatit was a great improvement.  Prior I would have 1 maybe two BSOD a week, now there are none.  This is a rock solid update, and very stable.  I do have data drops, but oddly it happens in the same place.  It is not until I head to this one school for a kids basketball game does this happen which leaves me to believe VZW has some bugs on their network which need fixing.  Everywhere else I traval, the data connection is solid.  After the VZW outage was over I noticed some drops in the data, but after pulling the battery, and SIM card for a long period, that took care of the issue.

Also have noticed better battery life, probably due to not having to hunt for data as it did prior to the update.  So far, this update is quite the fix.

Options

963 Posts

10-23-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 207 of 277

2012-02-27, 22:41 PM

pabnj said:

I am on days 20 since I received the update, and must say thatit was a great improvement.  Prior I would have 1 maybe two BSOD a week, now there are none.  This is a rock solid update, and very stable.  I do have data drops, but oddly it happens in the same place.  It is not until I head to this one school for a kids basketball game does this happen which leaves me to believe VZW has some bugs on their network which need fixing.  Everywhere else I traval, the data connection is solid.  After the VZW outage was over I noticed some drops in the data, but after pulling the battery, and SIM card for a long period, that took care of the issue.

Also have noticed better battery life, probably due to not having to hunt for data as it did prior to the update.  So far, this update is quite the fix.

I must say I was a bit skeptical after the .893 update. I didn't believe theat Motorola could fix the Bionic. After a few weeks of using my Bionic with the new .902 update, I am pleasantly surprised. It seems that not only have they fixed the Data issue, but they have also appeared to fix the BSOD issue. I have not heard of any Bsod's reported since this update.

Way to go MOTO!!!!!!

Options

281 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 208 of 277

2012-02-27, 22:57 PM
 Scottd I gotta agree with you I never thoughtbMoto could do it. Especially after Verizon started to bend over backwards to fix things. I dont think they knew for sure if they could fix it. It is not perfect yet but it is accebtable. I still get drops from 4g to 3g in a 4g area I think I only got 1 or 2 BSOD,s so long ago I cant remenber. I think any problems left are 4 g LTE problems mot playing nice with the phone.
Options

14 Posts

02-08-2012

United States

16 Signins

362 Page Views

• Views: 362
  • Message 209 of 277

2012-02-27, 23:25 PM

After 20 days i have only had a couple of problems. I get browser force close or its locked up and I have to go to task manager and close to get it working again all other apps seem not to have this issue. I have had two data drops one the day of the update both 4G & 3G within 2 hr and the second was an 4G network failure from big red both in the middle of using data. Then today i had the phone restart on it owen in it case on my belt and not used in 5 min and locked the screen before puting it in the case thought i was getting a text and looked to find the boot screen the 1st time I've had this that I can recall since I got rid of my drod x. Has been stable otherwise and 4G to 3G is quiker when leving 4G area and back when back entering 4G area.

Options

267 Posts

11-26-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 210 of 277

2012-02-28, 1:28 AM

Well, I have spent considerable time looking at the threads on this phone since the update..............talking to technical staff at Motorola and Verizon.    

The bottom line is that I will agree with you that the phone is better.  As the Techs have told me, they think that the phone is about at 90%, as compared to other LTE phones.  They also are quite convinced that it will not get any better, that it is as good as it can get.  I think that 4G/LTE is better on the phone.  It still has major issues in 3G areas.  We have two Bionics.  I spent the weekend in a 3G area only.  My phone would lose data connectivity for no known reason, while other people with Verizon still had 3G strong on other phones.  It does do better at getting the connection back on its own, but it is very frustrating.  I am not the only one who sees this, the threads and posts are all over.  My son is in a 3G area with his phone and has connection issues and the Wi-Fi connection issues.  Issues that people with him that have a Razr Maxx do not have.  So, while people may tell you that the Razr and the Bionic are the same phones, they do not seem to be in operation.  I was talking to one tech about my trouble and I said that the Razr doesn't seem to share the trouble and that surprises me since I am told it is the same hardware as the Bionic.  Basically his answer was that if I was talking about the Razr, that may be right, but not with the Razr Maxx.

The problem is that the phone is all it can ever be and that is really average.  I truly believe from my conversations with Motorola that they know that.  I do not believe, at all, that they care though.  I still see simply a lack of care on the part of Motorola.  Verizon, on the other hand has been great to deal with.  I do not think that Verizon is really happy with Motorola either and I am confidant, from what I have been told, that the complaints on the Bionic are still very high...............maybe too high for Verizon.  

So, I don't know what to do.  I guess if you want a 4G LTE phone that is OK, but not real good, you will be satisfied with the Bionic.  It is a pity, because when the Bionic works, it is a great phone.  But I honestly think that even if your phone is working great, it is only a matter of time until it gets into an environment that will cause it to mess up.  Trading the phone for another refurbished one is not the answer.  People who go down that road are very unhappy and end up with multiple phones.  Motorola has no answer, because they are not really interested in finding one.  They will move on to other phones and hope that this one just fades away in the history of phones.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms