Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID BIONIC™ by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

245 Posts

09-13-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 11 of 48

Re: Moving from Droid X to Bionic, Any Thoughts?

2012-02-27, 17:52 PM

I've always liked my Bionic, despite the 4G/3G data drops from time to time. The new update fixed the data issues so I can't really complain. A couple things, I have the extended battery and am a fairly heavy user and can't through the work day without plugging into the charger over lunchtime for an hour or two. Other thing, the camera still takes blurry pictures. Close up, not a problem but from any kind of distance, they come out blurry. Tried another camera app, same thing. All in all, great phone though.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 12 of 48

2012-02-27, 19:10 PM

thalgott3 said:

I am not going to get very detailed here as the other two Bionic users have already done so.

The Bionic has also been a very good phone for me. I upgraded from the original Droid so the processing speed improvement was night and day.

I purchased my Bionic maybe a month after the original release and did not seem to experience many of the data issuses that some other people that frequent this site have experienced.

I would definitely recommend the Bionic for your upgrade. Especially now that they are getting cheaper by the minute!

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 48

2012-02-27, 19:17 PM

corymcnutt said:

One thing I forgot to tell you...my niece just bought a new Bionic at the Verizon store 2 weeks ago and it DID NOT have the newest O/S on it even though they told her it did.  I just went to "About Phone," and checked for updates, and it loaded the newest one...so be sure you check the O/S out after you purchase it.

I was wondering if mine would have the update or not as well.  I'll have to check that first thing before I do anything else on the phone.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 14 of 48

2012-02-27, 19:19 PM

DansDroid said:

I also have a Droid X and really like that phone!  The one thing I find that I miss all of the time is the larger screen of the Droid X, otherwise there have been so many technology advances since the introduction of the DX that there is no comparison between the two.  The dual core processor, the front facing camera and fantastic new firmware for the Bionic camera and the 4G LTE capability are the items that immediately come to mind in my use of this excellent smart phone.  That are many other features far too numerous to list in the confines of this post, but I believe you'll really be very happy with the new Motorola phone you have acquired.     --- Dan

Thanks Dan,

I am very eager to see what the new firmware has in store.

Options

963 Posts

10-23-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 15 of 48

2012-02-27, 22:35 PM

DansDroid said:

I also have a Droid X and really like that phone!  The one thing I find that I miss all of the time is the larger screen of the Droid X, otherwise there have been so many technology advances since the introduction of the DX that there is no comparison between the two.  The dual core processor, the front facing camera and fantastic new firmware for the Bionic camera and the 4G LTE capability are the items that immediately come to mind in my use of this excellent smart phone.  That are many other features far too numerous to list in the confines of this post, but I believe you'll really be very happy with the new Motorola phone you have acquired.     --- Dan

I went from a Droid X to a Bionic and I believe the screen is the same size on the Bionic. I still use my Droid X as a bedside alarm clock since I have the dock. 

II was looking for a "better" Droid X when I purchased my Bionic in September and at first is was not better but now with the updated software it is just what I was looking to own. The overall performance is much faster and the 4G/LTE is also much faster. I was never a fan of the actual mechanical push buttons on the bottom of the Droid X so the new capacitive touch virtual buttons are way better in my opinion. The buttons on the X are so tiny and I need to grab the phone while in the dock to push a button where I can just touch the button on the Bionic.

The Bionic and Droid X are almost exactly the same size but accessories for the X won't work with the Bionic. The extended battery is a must for me and the Motorola OEM extended battery does a great job. You shouldn't be disappointed with the Bionic at all. I love my Bionic all over again. The camera isn't the best but it is acceptable when you get the settings right. I own an HTC Rezound as well, which is a great phone, but I find myself using my Bionic instead since it is now the phone it should have been in September.

Best of luck with your new Bionic.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 16 of 48

2012-02-28, 4:19 AM

Dan,

When I was at work today and I read your post, I was a little confused when you said the Droid X had a larger screen.  I was thinking that it was the same size as the Bionic.  

Now I have my Bionic and the screen is physically the same size, but now I know what you meant.  The fonts are larger on the Droid X along with all the icons.  I do believe that the Droid X had a much easier screen to read than the Bionic.  

There's not too much of a difference, but for a far-sighted pweson like me, it made a big difference.  I'm sure I'll get used to the Bionic screen.

So far I am loving the phone.  I am so far out of Verizon tower range that I use the Samsung/Verizon 3G network extender to get a quality signal.  I used to get a really great signal right from their towers until they re-aligned them in my area last year, then the signal went to heck.

This Bionic, so far, is amazing  for pulling in the 4G LTE signal.  I get zero to 2 bars at most (I'm probably hashing off of a few different towers)  I think my signal was -89 db and I still manage to get speeds like 12 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up.  I watched a movie on Netflix and absolutely no signal drop.

I really hope this trend contiues.

By the way, the phone was shipped with really old firmware, so the first thing I did was update to the current .902

Options

267 Posts

11-26-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 17 of 48

2012-02-28, 19:00 PM

I would urge you to look at the Razr Maxx again.  Maybe work out some sort of deal with them where you pay for part of the phone.  The Bionic is not a direction that I could, in good conscience, suggest to anyone.  It works OK.  It still does have connectivity issues, expecially on 3G and still has Wi-Fi connection issues.  I have actually spoken to a Verizon Technical Support employee who acknowledged that and also told me that he felt that it had been taken as far as it could.  It is an OK phone.  When it is working, it is pretty nice phone, but there are simply too many situations and too many people who still experience them for me to suggest it to you.  This is not an anti-Moto post, I still can recomend the Razr Maxx to you.  I think that it is probably the best of the phones for LTE.  It is selling really fast and backordered most places and that is probably why Verizon would prefer that you not buy one with your upgrade.  But I think that if you do your research and talk to Verizon, you can get them to change their minds.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 18 of 48

2012-02-28, 19:35 PM

customer22 said:

I would urge you to look at the Razr Maxx again.  Maybe work out some sort of deal with them where you pay for part of the phone.  The Bionic is not a direction that I could, in good conscience, suggest to anyone.  It works OK.  It still does have connectivity issues, expecially on 3G and still has Wi-Fi connection issues.  I have actually spoken to a Verizon Technical Support employee who acknowledged that and also told me that he felt that it had been taken as far as it could.  It is an OK phone.  When it is working, it is pretty nice phone, but there are simply too many situations and too many people who still experience them for me to suggest it to you.  This is not an anti-Moto post, I still can recomend the Razr Maxx to you.  I think that it is probably the best of the phones for LTE.  It is selling really fast and backordered most places and that is probably why Verizon would prefer that you not buy one with your upgrade.  But I think that if you do your research and talk to Verizon, you can get them to change their minds.

Thanks for your honesty with the Bionic.  In my less than 24 Hr limited testing, I have not yet encountered a 3G signal.  I have been holding on to a 4G signal even with no signal bars.  I did briefly test it on WiFi last evening and it held great for 10 minutes until I disconnected it.

My first Droid X would not stay connected to WiFi, so I know what that's like.

I will certianly keep all of your experiences with the Bionic in my mind.  I am still within a 14 day ($35 restocking fee) return period.

Do you own a RAZR MAXX?

Options

267 Posts

11-26-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 19 of 48

2012-02-28, 19:41 PM

My son just bought one the other day.  It is just such a better phone.  Gets a stronger signal, holds Wi-Fi, just does what I wanted the Bionic to do.  I have lost 3G a couple times and grabbed his phone, which held the signal without any interuption at all.  On the one hand, I would think it is just my Bionic but my other sons Bionic does the same thing, as does just a ton of others that you can read about on the net.  There are times when I like the Bionic.  Like I said, when it works, it is a great phone.  But having had it for over four months, I can pretty much assure you that sooner or later you will run into the environments where it just simply fades away.  The funny thing is that I am retired and I don't really need my phone, it is just a fun thing to have, but once you have them you really do come to depend upon them and when they let you down it is very frustrating.  I don't think that my expectations are out of wack either.  I relaize that this LTE thing is new and that all phones will at some time or another have a glitch.  But the Bionic just has too many, too often.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 20 of 48

2012-02-28, 19:52 PM

customer22 said:

My son just bought one the other day.  It is just such a better phone.  Gets a stronger signal, holds Wi-Fi, just does what I wanted the Bionic to do.  I have lost 3G a couple times and grabbed his phone, which held the signal without any interuption at all.  On the one hand, I would think it is just my Bionic but my other sons Bionic does the same thing, as does just a ton of others that you can read about on the net.  There are times when I like the Bionic.  Like I said, when it works, it is a great phone.  But having had it for over four months, I can pretty much assure you that sooner or later you will run into the environments where it just simply fades away.  The funny thing is that I am retired and I don't really need my phone, it is just a fun thing to have, but once you have them you really do come to depend upon them and when they let you down it is very frustrating.  I don't think that my expectations are out of wack either.  I relaize that this LTE thing is new and that all phones will at some time or another have a glitch.  But the Bionic just has too many, too often.

Thanks again for this information.  Are you having the 3G drop issue even after doing the .902 update?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms