Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID BIONIC™ by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 31 of 48

Re: Moving from Droid X to Bionic, Any Thoughts?

2012-02-29, 11:40 AM

My battery is set to "Performance Mode".  I read that on another post on this forum before I ordered the Bionic.

Because of this situation, it would be with great trepidation, that I would purchase a RAZR!

What does one do in a situation where a battery pull is required on a RAZR?

Is there a reset button that physically disconnects power?

Options

267 Posts

11-26-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 32 of 48

2012-02-29, 12:37 PM

There is a reset process for the Razr Maxx but reading thier forum, as I have done, it doesn't seem to be needed.  As I told you before, my son has a Maxx and has not had any problems, even with the phone sitting right beside my BIonic as it has problems.  In your shoes, I would be comfortable with a Maxx and I have had a lot of issues with the Bionic.  I do understand your concern, a phone that doesn't work right is really a huge problem.  Believe me, I know that well.  I suggest that you take a couple days and research the phones until you are comfortable with what direction to go but my comments are honestly not meant to say that Motorola doesnt make good phones, only that the Bionic is not a good phone.  THat can happen to any company that makes these devices.  While I am upset that Motorola has not stepped up with customers more openly to help with the Bionic issues, I do realize that they make other phones that work well and that they have a lot of stuff on thier plate to take care of.  

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 33 of 48

2012-02-29, 21:49 PM

Update on my 4G loss:

Today at work around 12:30pm, I tired to check my Yahoo email account.  The email loaded extremely slow.  I looked up at the status bar and saw I was on 3G.  I asked a fellow co-worker (and fellow Verizon customer) sitting at the table next to me to check her 4G LTE.  She had full 4G LTE coverage and 3 bars of signal.  She has a new Samsung 4G LTE phone, not sure what model, but it is the one with the slide out keyboard.  

Next I went to speedtest.net to check my speed.  I got 0.5 Mbps down and 0.02 Mbps up.  Tried again and I got a "Network Connection Error".

I asked my co-worker to try speedtest.net and she got 18 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up.  We both used the Red Bank New Jersey server.  

I then tried to check my email again and got the 'no data connection' error message - this is very reminiscent of my Droid X.  The old "no data connection" error message.  Did I get a new phone or is this just a dream (nightmare)? 

Tried speedtest.net again and got the "network connection error" message.  My co-worker still had great 4G connectivity.  I looked at the status bar on the Bionic again and had a 4G LTE symbol, but it was white with 2 bars of signal.  I tried Yahoo mail again and kept hitting reload.  Finally the 4G LTE lit up in blue and I was back in the game with data connectivity on 4G LTE.

Unlike last night, the phone recovered itself in about 5 minutes.  I did not have to do a battery pull to reclaim my 4G LTE service.

Obviously there are some issues with my brand new Bionic.  When a co-worker sitting 4 feet away from me has perfect 4G LTE on Verizon and I can't connect there is a problem.  

As soon as I received the phone before doing anything else, I updated the firmware to .902.  In my infinite wisdom, I did not load this phone up with much of anything other than speedtest.net and Netflix.  I figured, I may have to be doing some factory resets and didn't want to go through all the trouble of loading everything back on and then going through all the settings again in each app.  

I am extremely disheartened to say the least.  Now in less than 48 hours of ownership I lost 4G LTE twice, the first time being unrecoverable until a battery pull.

I don't even want to contend with calling Verizon again and going through all the frustration, to try and get them to understand the problem and help me with it.  They've got me over a barrel now.  I'm locked into a new 2 year contract with another device that has issues.  

My only other phone of choice is the RAZR MAXX which Verizon said I could not renew my contract with (since they let me out of the previous Droid X contract 11 months early).  What a mess!

I wish customer service departments could understand the anguish and frustration they put their customers through when they try and get the customer to go away instead of taking care of the issues.....  This is going to be such a hassle.  To exchange this phone for another model I will get stuck paying a $35 restocking fee and there is no guarantee that the next phone will work either.  

This ought to be good!

Options

963 Posts

10-23-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 34 of 48

2012-02-29, 22:44 PM

I completely understand your frustration since my Bionic was useless for the first 5 months of ownership. I actually had to get a different phone just to use data. I now have an acceptable Bionic with .902 on it. I want to say first of all that all Verizon 4G/LTE phones lose data at times and they all should recover on their own as well. I have an HTC and a Bionic and they both lose data and if you search the web, you will see that it is a network issue and Verizon's LTE network was not designed to work with their CDMA 3G network.

I would keep trying out your phone for a few more days and if the data loss is excessive and unacceptable to you, I would make a decision whether to return it and wait the 11 months for a new model. My Bionic was losing data more than it had data and since .902 it is just as good with data as my HTC.

Best of luck!

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 35 of 48

2012-02-29, 22:57 PM

scottd said:

I completely understand your frustration since my Bionic was useless for the first 5 months of ownership. I actually had to get a different phone just to use data. I now have an acceptable Bionic with .902 on it. I want to say first of all that all Verizon 4G/LTE phones lose data at times and they all should recover on their own as well. I have an HTC and a Bionic and they both lose data and if you search the web, you will see that it is a network issue and Verizon's LTE network was not designed to work with their CDMA 3G network.

I would keep trying out your phone for a few more days and if the data loss is excessive and unacceptable to you, I would make a decision whether to return it and wait the 11 months for a new model. My Bionic was losing data more than it had data and since .902 it is just as good with data as my HTC.

Best of luck!

Thanks very much for your post, I appreciate the input.  I am willing to try anything not to have to go through the aggravation to exchange the Bionic.  I really love the phone.

What is so weird about this problem is a person with a different brand of phone has Verizon 4G LTE connectivity when my Bionic does not.  In this instance it cannot be a network issue.  It is my Bionic.  My battery is set to performance mode.  

I have more than 11 months to go though on my Verizon contract.  I just signed a new 2 year agreement with Verizon to let me out of my Droid X contract.  I've got 18 months before I can change phones now unless I exchange the Bionic within the 15 day return period plus the $35 restocking fee.  I'm sure I'll still be locked into the 2 year agreement even if I would return the phone and not exchange it.  

Does anybody have any idea how to get the Bionic to stay connected to 4G when you are in a 4G signal area and other people with a different brand of phone 4 feet away from you have perfect 4G LTE service?  

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 36 of 48

2012-02-29, 23:12 PM

Here is a link to an article I found that explains their assumption of why so many Verizon 4G LTE devices lose data connectivity.

I thought I would share it with all of you.  It's very interesting and also supports why putting the battery into peformance mode helps maintain a data connection!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/19/this-is-why-your-verizon-galaxy-nexus-or-other-4g-lte-vzw-phone-is-losing-data-signal/

Options

963 Posts

10-23-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 37 of 48

2012-02-29, 23:40 PM

the_chemist said:

scottd said:

Best of luck!

Thanks very much for your post, I appreciate the input.  I am willing to try anything not to have to go through the aggravation to exchange the Bionic.  I really love the phone.

What is so weird about this problem is a person with a different brand of phone has Verizon 4G LTE connectivity when my Bionic does not.  In this instance it cannot be a network issue.  It is my Bionic.  My battery is set to performance mode.  

I have more than 11 months to go though on my Verizon contract.  I just signed a new 2 year agreement with Verizon to let me out of my Droid X contract.  I've got 18 months before I can change phones now unless I exchange the Bionic within the 15 day return period plus the $35 restocking fee.  I'm sure I'll still be locked into the 2 year agreement even if I would return the phone and not exchange it.  

Does anybody have any idea how to get the Bionic to stay connected to 4G when you are in a 4G signal area and other people with a different brand of phone 4 feet away from you have perfect 4G LTE service?  

I should have explained that it is the way the phones communicate with the network. When a connection is dropped, it is not an instant reconnect like on a 3g device. All LTE phones lose connection and it can happen at different times. It is the way the Bionic communicates with the LTE network.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 38 of 48

2012-02-29, 23:47 PM

scottd  said:

"I should have explained that it is the way the phones communicate with the network. When a connection is dropped, it is not an instant reconnect like on a 3g device. All LTE phones lose connection and it can happen at different times. It is the way the Bionic communicates with the LTE network".

If you look right above your post, I had just found an article on the Internet (which I added a link) that explained the authentication scheme used by 4G and 3G to connect.

Thanks very much scottd!

Options

108 Posts

02-06-2011

United States

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 39 of 48

2012-03-01, 0:43 AM

Thanks chemist...very interesting article.  Hopefully Verizon will get a "fix" for this ASAP...nice to know they are working on it so we may all benefit down the road.

Options

113 Posts

01-10-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 40 of 48

2012-03-01, 0:58 AM

corymcnutt said:

Thanks chemist...very interesting article.  Hopefully Verizon will get a "fix" for this ASAP...nice to know they are working on it so we may all benefit down the road.

You are very welcome.  

I've heard about this 4G data drop issue on way too many brands of phone on the Verizon LTE network for it to be a Motorola specific issue.  I know for sure the Samsung Galaxy Nexus has this issue as well, among other annoying issues like muting audio output (microphone) during a voice call to the point where the call has to be ended and redialed!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms